Masculine Logic and Feminine Logic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is one of the logical kind of woman, but she's still a female. She uses a great example. My brain is like a fettuccine noodle, laid out in a straight line. Her brain is like a plate of spaghetti noodles, all interwoven. Sometimes she'll pull out a noodle, analyze it, and put it back onto the plate.

-----Added 2/17/2009 at 09:37:29 EST-----

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that our thought process are complimentary. Not in conflict to each other. I love my wife's female ways. We need each other.

Ummm, I'm going to have to disagree! Intuition can be very helpful in dangerous situations. My intuition sometimes helps me in seeing that my patient isn't doing well. Their vital signs might be ok etc, etc, but there is just something that isn't right! Now call the MD on that one and they...well, they really don't appreciate it very much especially during the night. But I once saved a woman's life just because of my intuition. I finally got the MD to move her to the ICU where she coded. Most everything about her seemed normal but there was one little thing that kept nagging at me and so I kept nagging the MD. So I'm sure that intuition could be very helpful when one feels something isn't right in a combat situation. I would have to agree with another commenter who stated that maybe they shouldn't be in combat due to strength I think that's the key...but I'll not judge a woman who does enter the military. :2cents:

Yes, intuition is one of those things that can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on whether or not we are walking with the Lord - and the same would go for those things men are strong in. If we are in God's Word daily and seeking his will and seeking to mortify our flesh, I believe that intuition can be a very valuable thing. We are helpers, so it makes sense that intuition is something that we need as helpmeets and as life bearers and nurturers. We need to just "know" in order to help in many different situations, as the one you spoke of Sister Sarah. We just need to look at our intuition in the light of the principles of scripture.

Sister Sarah? Yikes!...that gives me bad memories which I'll have to PM you about some day! :lol:

Didn't mean to creep you out! :lol: I'd love to hear your story when you'd like to tell it.

The concept of understanding

To me it seems that my wife and I sometimes use the term "understand" in two different ways.

My wife often tells me that this and that thing needs to be done, often in relation to people we know. She just "sees" it while I don't. Needless to say, without her "seeing what needs to be done" I would have left many good things undone. Our duties aren't just what logically follows from the premises :)

To me it seems that women have some innate practical wisdom that men lack. An additional set om moral "oughts"?

Perhaps this is why men find women complicated and why women feel that men don't understand them :smug:

Speculation: maybe this would make men more fit for combat. The relational side of what is going on is invisible to them and does not affect their performance. Just a thought :2cents:

Well, this will be my last comment since it has nothing to do with the wonderful OP. My pastor and church supports a military woman who is a member of our OPC church. We think she does us a great service and needs our prayers as she lays down her life for our country. But each to their own thinking on this. I of course would be swayed differently if Scripture stated othewise...otherwise it's just mankind making up rules which make them feel better about a situation. :banghead:

The Trinity isn't explicit, either- but it's there. I'll be happy to present a biblical argument concerning women in the military later on (in another thread, of course).

On a pragmatic level and speaking as a combat veteran, I certainly would not want intuition and nurture in such a situation. Give me straight, linear 'just do your job' thinking any day.

Theognome

Ditto.

The OP was started by a man explaining how women think.

Anyone else see a problem with that?

Why not women start a thread to explain how men think?

Why not, Perg? I am not claiming to have women all figured out. However, I am speaking from some level of experience, and some women, at least, seem to think I have described at least some things accurately. Besides, my main point was not a description of how women think, but rather the difference between men and women. I have sought to make clear that I am speaking in generalizations, and that there are plenty of exceptions. My intent was simply to allow people to try to put themselves in other people's shoes. In my opinion, many women understand men perfectly. I would have zero problem with a woman seeking to describe how men think. Maybe I am foolish for thinking this, but it seems to me imperative for men to seek to be understanding when it comes to women. I do not view the enterprise as impossible, since women are not a different or alien species.

Why not, Perg? I am not claiming to have women all figured out. However, I am speaking from some level of experience, and some women, at least, seem to think I have described at least some things accurately. Besides, my main point was not a description of how women think, but rather the difference between men and women. I have sought to make clear that I am speaking in generalizations, and that there are plenty of exceptions. My intent was simply to allow people to try to put themselves in other people's shoes. In my opinion, many women understand men perfectly. I would have zero problem with a woman seeking to describe how men think. Maybe I am foolish for thinking this, but it seems to me imperative for men to seek to be understanding when it comes to women. I do not view the enterprise as impossible, since women are not a different or alien species.

I have seen male comments on women's thinking that were inaccurate and even offensive, but yours was not! I thought it was fascinating, accurate, and useful.

Is it not a command for men to understand their wives and to live with them in that light? If we don't our prayers are hindered.

There is nothing wrong with studying how the sexes differ in their thought processes and learn to apply that difference in our lives. Then we should stand back in awe at our marvelous Creator.

Just wanted to add that we had a similar discussion on the board awhile back:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f32/intellectual-emotional-composition-men-women-28420/

added: Relevant quote from Pascal, pulled from that thread:

The reason, therefore, that some intuitive minds are not mathematical is that they cannot at all turn their attention to the principles of mathematics. But the reason that mathematicians are not intuitive is that they do not see what is before them, and that, accustomed to the exact and plain principles of mathematics, and not reasoning till they have well inspected and arranged their principles, they are lost in matters of intuition where the principles do not allow of such arrangement. They are scarcely seen; they are felt rather than seen; there is the greatest difficulty in making them felt by those who do not of themselves perceive them. These principles are so fine and so numerous that a very delicate and very clear sense is needed to perceive them, and to judge rightly and justly when they are perceived, without for the most part being able to demonstrate them in order as in mathematics, because the principles are not known to us in the same way, and because it would be an endless matter to undertake it. We must see the matter at once, at one glance, and not by a process of reasoning, at least to a certain degree. And thus it is rare that mathematicians are intuitive and that men of intuition are mathematicians, because mathematicians wish to treat matters of intuition mathematically and make themselves ridiculous, wishing to begin with definitions and then with axioms, which is not the way to proceed in this kind of reasoning. Not that the mind does not do so, but it does it tacitly, naturally, and without technical rules; for the expression of it is beyond all men, and only a few can feel it.
Intuitive minds, on the contrary, being thus accustomed to judge at a single glance, are so astonished when they are presented with propositions of which they understand nothing, and the way to which is through definitions and axioms so sterile, and which they are not accustomed to see thus in detail, that they are repelled and disheartened.
But dull minds are never either intuitive or mathematical.
Mathematicians who are only mathematicians have exact minds, provided all things are explained to them by means of definitions and axioms; otherwise they are inaccurate and insufferable, for they are only right when the principles are quite clear.
And men of intuition who are only intuitive cannot have the patience to reach to first principles of things speculative and conceptual, which they have never seen in the world and which are altogether out of the common.

Last edited:

I have seen male comments on women's thinking that were inaccurate and even offensive, but yours was not! I thought it was fascinating, accurate, and useful.

I agree and was thinking the same thing.

I need some help in translation...
In english you would call the last part of the question "Femenin logic" an oximorron (or how that is spelled) right?

AH AH, AU, AU, Uncle, Uncle ....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back