Masculine and feminine virtues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bultitude

Puritan Board Freshman
I came across this in a blog post. The author lists a host of virtues and categorizes each as a predominantly masculine or feminine virtue. Then he says the following:

While a man should be well developed in all of the virtues, it is especially needful that he possess a sufficient amount of masculine virtues. If he is lacking in some areas of the feminine virtues it is not nearly so dangerous and unattractive as if he is deficient in one of the masculine virtues. For example, if a man is more peaceful than he is bold and courageous, such that he lacks assertiveness concerning things that are important and vital, he would rightly be perceived as a wimp and a coward. While it is desirable for a man to both be bold and be peaceful, it is more desirable that he be bold than that he be peaceful. It is more of a vice if he lacks assertiveness than if he isn't as agreeable as he should be. Similarly, while it would be preferable for a man to be both dependable and flexible, if he is to lack either virtue, it is preferable that he be lacking in flexibility, rather than being a man who is unreliable. For a man, he must primarily emphasize the masculine virtues in his own personal and spiritual development. Development of the feminine virtues, while wholesome and worthwhile, must always rest firmly on the foundation of the masculine virtues.

Just as the masculine virtues are primarily desirable and necessary for a man, a woman must possess a proper proportion of virtues within herself. The exercise of feminine virtues serve to enhance a woman's beauty and ability to have a nourishing, lifegiving effect upon her family and the world around. Just as it is crucial for a man to have well-developed masculine virtues, a wise woman will primarily pursue the development of feminine virtues within herself. Upon the foundation of feminine virtues, developing masculine virtues can be a good thing, but if they are emphasized at the exclusive of the feminine virtues, a woman will end up quite unbalanced, unfeminine and consequently, unattractive. A woman who is just but lacks compassion and tenderness, will be quite an unaffectionate and unsympathetic person. Is it perfectly reasonable for a woman to exercise a proper measure of justice, when needed, so long as compassion, love and empathy are always predominant.

This has a "ring of truth" to it for me, but I don't endeavor to discern what's true based on its "ring." I'd like to get some feedback. Is it Biblical?

I once read an interesting reflection on how when a man is trying to serve and take care of and protect and provide for those he loves and is responsible for ( you could say husband, father, pastor, etc here) he will automatically become more "masculine". He will move towards those people in a way that will reflect the virtues we think of as manly, and as masculine strength. It could change from situation to situation. He could be tender and peaceful in serving. He might need to be beating somebody up if it is a matter of physical protection.

My husband is dedicated to serving his family and I feel like I am around masculinity ( very nice, let me tell you). But that could be tender and gentle and thoughtful...or could be like the time he told one of the kids that if they ever dared to speak to me disrespectfully again they would be thrown out of the home. Very tough!- kid snapped out of it immediately, ha.

A woman wanting to serve her family and others will become more stereotypical feminine. She will become naturally submissive as she tries to help. I have been in situations where I hated myself and felt unfeminine, and it was when I was trying to fight a spiritual battle that in retrospect was not mine to fight...I may have been right, but it was better left to silent prayer. Some feminists come off unfeminine if they are trying to take a place that does not belong to them, or to aggressively fight for their own rights instead of look out for others. Self centeredness kills virtues.

Anyway, all that to say I think your blogger has it backwards. You don't decide how certain virtues look and which ones are masculine and try to pursue them. You try to love and serve and the virtues will follow that right heart. In marriage it may take some communication as to how the other feels loved and respected to hash this out, but that is the path to it I think.

I once read an interesting reflection on how when a man is trying to serve and take care of and protect and provide for those he loves and is responsible for (you could say husband, father, pastor, etc here) he will automatically become more "masculine".

Maybe this used to be true. But things have changed with the abandonment of Christianity.
Here is a very telling video entitled: European men act like women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOLgy3YKtA

Interesting topic, and Lynnie, I really appreciate your reply! So very well thought-out and insightful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very interesting video.

Here's a follow-up article on the same subject:

By: "Iben Thranholm examines political and social events with focus on their religious aspects, significance and moral implications. She is one of Denmark’s most widely read columnists on such matters."

"The decline of Christianity in the West has created a spiritual and moral vacuum of colossal proportions. It is this vacuum that gives Islamism momentum and nourishment."

https://goo.gl/s2K9V5

Ed- really interesting video. (I was speaking of Christian men.)

I don't think there is much hope for Europe apart from another Reformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back