Martin Luther and Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Theological Forum' started by Scott Shahan, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Shahan

Scott Shahan Puritan Board Sophomore

My professor said in class the other day that when it comes to the Homosexual issue you can't use Martin Luther, since Martin Luther didn't say anything about it specifically. This is a ELCA school that I am at. I know his statement to the class is a wrong one. Does anyone know where to find in Martin Luther's works where he specifically speaks about Homosexuality. The only place that I have found so far is Vol 3 pg 255.
    How would you respond to something like this?

Scott:cool:

2. Ravens

Ravens Puritan Board Sophomore

Two light smacks and a left hook.

:D

Sorry, I'll let more informed people give the substantive replies.

;)

3. Scott Shahan

anyone have any ideas?

Scott

4. R. Scott Clark

R. Scott Clark Puritan Board Senior

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure on what basis one would make such a claim about Luther.

In his lectures on Romans (in the Scholia - I'm not sure just now if these are the earlier or later lectures on Romans, but for this point it doesn't much matter) he says on ch. 1:

He also addressed it in his lectures on Genesis which were delivered in the 1540's, late in his career (a brief selection from a discussion ranging over 4 pages):

rsc

5. ReformedWretch

ReformedWretch Puritan Board Doctor

Well there you go!

6. Scott Shahan

Thank you Mr. Clark

I emailed the professor with the references that you cited. He returned my email and thanked me for it. Thanks for your help. Hopefully he will correct himself and let the class know that Luther did have something to say about homosexuality. I realize that the ELCA is getting closer to ordaining Homosexuals, and maybe that is the reason for his comments to the class
    Scott

7. AdamM

AdamM Puritan Board Freshman

8. Scott Shahan

Adam,

That link isn't working for me. I am very interested in reading that. When I click on that link all that comes up is a blank screen.
    Scott:book2:

9. AdamM

AdamM Puritan Board Freshman

10. Scott Shahan

Thanks Adam!:cool:

Doctrinally speaking how does a ELCA memeber justify that homosexuality it acceptable? If we read the same scripture how do they not see that it is wrong? They must have a different view of the biblical text. Or their exposition needs a little help, but surely they learn that in seminary. Did Martin Luther believe that the Scripture was infallible and enerrent?
    What are their main arguements? Does anyone know what goes on in their heads! They must have somekind of rational to believe what they believe. Maybe they all are relativists.:book2:
    Scott

11. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Scott,

There are a few explanations. The first explanation is that rejection of homosexuality was a cultural condescension at the time and that, even though the Scriptures are inspired, they were written by fallible men who had their own prejudices and superstitions. That would be the view of folks who have any sympathy for the Scriptures at all.

An example used is Paul's teaching on slaves and masters. They claim that Paul endorsed the practice in his cultural ignorance. The Church, through the continued progressive help of the Holy Spirit, came to recognize that God really hated slavery unlike Paul but condescended to Paul and society and allowed him to pen that He really liked it. Likewise, God has really liked homosexuality all along but condescended to allow Moses, the Prophets, and that meanie Paul to inspire that He hated it.

Liberals would say that the Scriptures are permeated with myth and the teachings of man and you have to get past all of that stuff into the true message that God has. The message is, of course, that God is Love and that Christ came to redeem people and save them no matter what they do. God doesn't really hate homosexuality because, after all, God can't really hate anything (except maybe second-hand smoke, pollution, and George W. Bush) and He made people that way. It can't be wrong if God made you that way.

Of course, the real theological reason they approve of it:

12. SRoper

SRoper Puritan Board Senior

Another argument I've heard is that Paul was referring to heterosexuals engaging in homosexual activity and that he did not "know" that some people are born homosexual. The liberal understands "exchang[ing] natural relations" in light of his belief that the "sexual orientation" we are born with is natural and God-given.

13. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

Oh, I forgot another one:

That the Scriptures only condemn homosexual rape and not "...a monogomous, loving homosexual relationship..."

...makes the skin crawl.

14. Scott Shahan

Where does the thinking that truth is evolving come from.? I know that it was some philosopher from the enlightenment era . This I think leads to becoming a relativist, everything is relavent. The ELCA people have said to me Scott, that was true then (homosexual issue)but we now live in a different world and so what was true then is not neccessarily true now. They say "we need to be culturally sensitive, and that when the scripture was written it was written with cultural bias of that day. How do I argue against their "cultural bias" arguement?
    Scott :detective:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.