Marrow Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote:3292616dd2="Learner"]I agreed with parts of your post Patrick.But there were other segments in which I take issue or have questions about.
You said "The offer as a present fits in."Did you mean to say that offer is a presentation,proclamation or declaration? [/quote:3292616dd2]
When you asked if the offer was a "present or presentation" I thought you meant "gift or presentation." So reread my post in that light.

[quote:3292616dd2]
I'm wondering about your statement:'How can a reprobate make God a liar if in fact Christ is not offered to him at all?"I am confused by that.Most reprobates have never heard the Gospel--never heard of Christ. [/quote:3292616dd2]
But there are many reprobate who have heard or will hear. And John is speaking of those who refuse to believe in that verse. By not believing what God has said concerning his Son, by not coming to Christ for salvation, they call Him a liar. But if the message regarding Christ is not offered or binding in any way to the reprobate, then they are not calling God a liar for rejecting it, because the message was not for them. But the gospel is a message for all men, because Christ is the only true Savior available to all men.

[quote:3292616dd2]
It is understood that you believe that it is God's good pleasure,not to save,but to harden the reprobates by the preaching of the gospel.You do believe that,right?
So,God seeks His own glory and justification in preparing the reprobate for their just damnation even through the preaching of His Word.The preacher, or any Christian, must not say that God sincerely seeks the salvation of the reprobate. God cannot seek the salvation of those He has foreordained not to save from eternity past.
In other words He doesn't want that sinner to live whom He does not choose to quicken.He does not want that one whom He does not give faith to accept the Gospel.God does not will that sinner to come to Christ which He has not drawn.Are you in agreement?
God is sovereign in His dispositions.We need not be cold about it.We should have a real burden for the lost.If we do not care for eternal souls,we have cause to doubt our own salvation.There is a balance here.[/quote:3292616dd2]
I am not saying God "wants" or "desires" the reprobate to be saved. I don't think I have ever even hinted at that. What I am saying is that God's word is true regardless of who hears it. You must distinguish between the secret and revealed will of God. God has told everyone who hears the gospel that they must believe on Christ in order to have eternal life. This isn't just some abtract truth. This is personal. When the gospel comes to someone, God is personally telling them the way to be saved. God is setting up Christ before them (just like Moses lifting up the serpent) and telling them, "Here is my way of salvation, look to Him and live, look away and perish." Christ himself is saying to all sinners through the preaching of the Gospel, "Look to Me and be saved." This is just the plain facts, whether you are reprobate or elect. You notice, there is no qualifier. Jesus didn't say "If you are elect, believe on Me." We don't know who the elect are. Only God does. We must tell all people we meet that there is a Savior for mankind. That is the revealed will of God. Whether they will look to him or not is up to God's secret work not ours.

We are told to invite men to come, to compel, to warn, rebuke, exhort, beseech, etc. And this method of delivering the message is made regardless of who is elect or reprobate because we can't know. This is a personal invitation from God to whomever hears. And we must treat it as such. It's just like Moses and his messengers telling the people about the serpent. The offer is real and available to all. The invitation to the feast is real and reliable to whomever it comes to. The promise is true regardless of who hears it. If they would come to Christ, they will be saved. I don't think I can get any more clearer than that but I will still try if need be.

I think you've articulated it well, Patrick. You are a true Marrow Man. I'd still like to ask, would you use the phrase "Christ is dead for you" in evangelism? We know what Fisher meant, and I agree with the point, but on the grounds that Christ is alive, does it not seem like an unwise choice of words? Maybe I'm splitting hairs. What do you think?

BTW, The True Christian's Love to the Unseen Christ is great so far, though it makes me realize how lukewarm I am, which is humbling and convicting.

Well, back to :book:

Daniel

[quote:26ca249a57="DanielC"]I think you've articulated it well, Patrick. You are a true Marrow Man. I'd still like to ask, would you use the phrase "Christ is dead for you" in evangelism? We know what Fisher meant, and I agree with the point, but on the grounds that Christ is alive, does it not seem like an unwise choice of words? Maybe I'm splitting hairs. What do you think?
[/quote:26ca249a57]
I would not use that phrase today in evangelism exactly because of the reason this thread took off. Calvinists would call me Arminian or worse and Arminians would look at me cawk-eyed. Even though I know what Fisher/Boston/Preston (Fisher was quoting Preston) meant by it, people don't understand the proper use of it today (and apparently didn't back then either) and so it would cause problems. I would rather try to stave off the knee jerks of by Calvinists brothers who tend to split and argue too much already, especially over mostly semantic issues like this one.

I don't think it's wrong to focus on the death of Christ like that phrase does because that is what Pauls' summary of the gospel was, "we preach Christ and Him crucified." Paul certainly had plenty to say about the resurrection, but the Gospel is summarized well in His person and work, Christ and Him crucified. Just my two cents for what it's worth...

[quote:26ca249a57] BTW, The True Christian's Love to the Unseen Christ is great so far, though it makes me realize how lukewarm I am, which is humbling and convicting.
[/quote:26ca249a57]
Keep reading brother. It gets better/worse.... Better in content, worse in conviction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back