Marriage This Weekend - Counsel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Lynnie.... this is what I alluded to when I advised "don't be a selfish lover." But you spelled it out a little more clearly.

I don't mean it in the sense of taking orders. I mean it in the sense that one should avoid being unduly burdensome and developing a general tone of tyranny.

1.Don't smash cake into each other's face at the reception. It shows a lack of respect for the other, and a level of immaturity.

2. Remember, it's likely to be a stressful day for one or both of you. Show each other some consideration that evening. You have the rest of your lives together.

1. I disagree. Some couples are flirty and competitive, and for them, cake smashing is lighthearted fun, and shows that instead of respect/maturity. Now if it would bother your wife, don't do it, but I am always disappointed when I don't see this at a wedding! Just like Edward thinks it's disrespectful and immature, I think it is boring and stuffy not to do it! So I think it depends on the couple.

2.The rehearsal (my advice may be too late already!) was a thousand times more stressful for us than the wedding. Drink a shot tonight before you meet the evil wedding nazi--I mean planner--if you have one.

Expect something to go wrong. Even if it does, things could be far, far worse. Have a good laugh and rejoice that God is still sovereign.

I messed up the lines during the ceremony. We both got tickled. Instead of saying I would be her "loving husband", I said "lovable husband." Of course, that's still true. ;)

However, after the wedding, as we were getting ready to leave town, my wife's wallet was stolen from her purse. Everything -- driver's license, checkbook, id cards, cash, two large checks -- gone. We spent part of the honeymoon calling the credit card companies canceling the cards. This was at a hotel on a remote island with only one guest phone!

About two months later, we got a phone call in the middle of the night (about 1 or 2 am). It was from the Brunswick, Georgia police department. They had pulled over a guy who was driving around with a sack full of wallets under the seat of his car. They were confirming (they had gotten my father-in-laws info off the checks, and he had given them our number) that ours had indeed been stolen so they could arraign the guy the next day. They then mailed the wallet (complete with id cards and such) back to us!

MODERATOR WARNING: Let's try to keep everything decent and tasteful in this thread, please. Wedding night advice might best be served in Dad's Tool Shed. Any other suggestive comments will be deleted if they are posted.

On a lighter note, you are surely aware of the phenomenon of the Freshman 15 weight gain when one starts college.

There is a more deadly, but much more enjoyable phenomenon in marriage - the Newlywed 50. I pray your wife is a good cook, but beware!

1.Don't smash cake into each other's face at the reception. It shows a lack of respect for the other, and a level of immaturity.

2. Remember, it's likely to be a stressful day for one or both of you. Show each other some consideration that evening. You have the rest of your lives together.

1. I disagree. Some couples are flirty and competitive, and for them, cake smashing is lighthearted fun, and shows that instead of respect/maturity. Now if it would bother your wife, don't do it, but I am always disappointed when I don't see this at a wedding! Just like Edward thinks it's disrespectful and immature, I think it is boring and stuffy not to do it! So I think it depends on the couple.

2.The rehearsal (my advice may be too late already!) was a thousand times more stressful for us than the wedding. Drink a shot tonight before you meet the evil wedding nazi--I mean planner--if you have one.

I don't expect we'll find grounds for agreement on that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back