Marriage in Economic Recession

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think that's more a perception created by the media. The problem isn't a shortage of jobs so much as it is a shortage of good workers. America is full of people who are half-hearted workers, who "do their time" and then run when Friday's over. Those kind of workers are a drain on any company. It's a wonder they can manage to stay afloat, let alone do enough business to hire more people! What companies need are workers who work hard, are self-disciplined, and committed to the success of the company. Those kind of people are extraordinarily rare, and companies practically salivate when they find one.

I agree that all of us should do our work as unto the Lord, however I would disagree that people should work endless hours toiling away for the good of their company. There has to be a balance in life. My family is just as important, in fact more important, than my company. When a man works 60, 70, 80 plus hours a week, he is cheating his family. There is an amount of time that should be dedicated to work, and there is an amount of time that should be dedicated to family, and so yes when "my time is up" I am going home.

Honestly, I think that's more a perception created by the media. The problem isn't a shortage of jobs so much as it is a shortage of good workers. America is full of people who are half-hearted workers, who "do their time" and then run when Friday's over. Those kind of workers are a drain on any company. It's a wonder they can manage to stay afloat, let alone do enough business to hire more people! What companies need are workers who work hard, are self-disciplined, and committed to the success of the company. Those kind of people are extraordinarily rare, and companies practically salivate when they find one.

I agree that all of us should do our work as unto the Lord, however I would disagree that people should work endless hours toiling away for the good of their company. There has to be a balance in life. My family is just as important, in fact more important, than my company. When a man works 60, 70, 80 plus hours a week, he is cheating his family. There is an amount of time that should be dedicated to work, and there is an amount of time that should be dedicated to family, and so yes when "my time is up" I am going home.

I do not know that Skyler necessarily meant you should be working 80 hours. That is, I agree with what both of you said. It may depend on the company, but a worker may indeed work extra hours sometimes for the good of their company.
When I first married my husband he was working for a company who thought they owned their employees 24/7 and could call upon them to work extra time at a moment's notice. There was no regard for doctor's appointments (arranged for when not working, but the work hours would be changed the day before) or funerals. My husband eventually lost this job as he insisted on going to church one Sunday.
He now works for a small company who understand that a man's family comes before his employment. Often times my husband will work overtime at short notice, for the good of this company. But this is never required of him and they are just as flexible in their treatment of him as they expect from him. My husband's work ethic make him invaluable to this company, and I think this is what Skyler was talking about. Companies such as my husband used to work for do not notice their good workers, nor appreciate them. In fact, they will accept substandard work in exchange for subservience.

In response to the original post. Financial hardship may make it appear harder to find a wife. There may indeed be fewer dates and fewer women interested in dates. But as Christians we know that it is not statistics that decide our lives. A wife worth having is worth finding, and keeping :)

I can't agree more with Kim, Tim and others who say people should go for marriage (in God's time), trust God, learn to live within your means and don't allow yourself to get into debt.

The whole "go to college so you can get a good job" has become a scam for the schools to make money. There was a time when for the most part only the students who were well-suited for college actually attended. Now, parents push their children to go to college because they are worried their children won't get jobs. I've seen this in my homeschool community. There is actually a mom in my circles who is making money teaching people how to help their students pass the SATs and how to get student loans and scholarships so they can get into college. This bothers me a lot, because it shows where the priorities are.

I constantly hear complaints from our friends and my husband's collegues at the university were he works that the newer crops of students who come in are clueless, don't know how to learn and want the information spoon-fed to them so they can get it over with and party. Many of these students are over $100,000 in debt when they leave school, and a lot of them can't find work in their profession because YES, the market is flooded.

When I say the market is flooded, I'm not saying that people can't find work, but the market for the high-paying work is flooded. I don't see a economic recovery coming in this country until people begin to get up and start using the good brains God gave them and finding work, and if they can't find work coming up with new ideas for businesses, etc.

Tim, you're a perfect example of what I'm saying. You went out, found some work and got to it. We have become too dependent on the system that has been set up for us as though there was no work or nothing to do apart from what we've been told we can do. We've believed the lie that the only way to find work is to go to college. It is true that college is beneficial for some, but if it means going into debt, then don't do it.

When I say the market is flooded, I'm not saying that people can't find work, but the market for the high-paying work is flooded. I don't see a economic recovery coming in this country until people begin to get up and start using the good brains God gave them and finding work, and if they can't find work coming up with new ideas for businesses, etc.

AMEN! Preach it! :)

If you go to a small division II University like I am, you will have $40,000 in loans without any scholarships. If you go to a Big University like University of Alabama, you can have up to double or triple that amount. I am getting the same degree as they are for a lot cheaper. And yes, the market is flooded, and that is why a business degree is basically worth nothing and many more. That is why I chose Chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back