Marcus Friedrich Wendelin's "Christian Theology"

dildaysc

Puritan Board Junior
Who Was Marcus Friedrich Wendelin? and Why Translate His Christian Theology?

Jesus' lily, the Church, has ever grown up among the twin thorns of persecution and heresy.

Wendelin gives us a lovely meditation on Song of Solomon 2:2.

Get familiar with the Reformed of Germany! and the challenges they faced from Theosophy and Mysticism!

In the third and final installment of his Dedication, Wendelin gives some insight into the genesis of his "Christian Theology".

Wendelin previews for his readers his method and influences in the composition of his Systematic Theology!

Fascinating!

Wendelin begins his "Christian Theology" by defining "Theology"...both the term and the academic discipline...

Here, his chapter outline whets our appetite...

Perhaps you have seen the term "Prolegomena" at the beginning of a Systematic Theology, and wondered what it meant.

Wendelin briefly explains...

Wendelin's presentation of the Doctrine of Scripture is an organizational masterpiece! worthy of careful study and attention!

*Bonus material (in the "Comments"): De Moor on the Apocrypha!

Wendelin defends the authenticity and integrity of the Hebrew and Greek originals, and the legitimacy of translation.

Fascinating!

Wendelin defends the ultimate authority of Scripture, and then, as a German Reformed theologian, wrestles with the Lutherans over subordinate standards.

Fascinating!

Theology is both theoretical (there is a body of informational content that needs to be mastered) and practical (the doctrine needs to be brought into the practical realm of life).

See Wendelin, and De Moor at greater length in the "Comments"...

The proper work of Theology is the contemplation of God Himself...a contemplation unto adoration and worship. Precious.

Wendelin whets our appetite for this most blessed science...

Scripture is clear: God is incorporeal Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable.

So, what are we to make of the anthropomorphisms in the Bible?

Wendelin explores...

Is the Doctrine of Divine Simplicity Biblical? or a mere construct of the Schoolmen?

Wendelin defends the ancient view...

Next installment of Wendelin's treatment of the Incommunicable attributes is just days away... Almost there...

The first 100 pages of Wendelin are available here!

"In God's sight all things are open and manifest; His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature, so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain."

Wendelin explores this profound truth...

How does the will of the infinite, eternal, and unchangeable God relate to finite, temporal, and ever-changing events on earth?

Wendelin seeks to loosen the knots... Get your thinking cap on.

Wendelin describes the beauty of the Divine Being.

"Thou art altogether lovely, O Most High..."

Wendelin previews for his readers his method and influences in the composition of his Systematic Theology!

Fascinating!

"But, that those things were not written for beginners, I readily understood; therefore, I commended the vast acres, but I thought to myself that but a little is to be cultivated: I saw them, as it were, contracted into a fist, and arranged in ingenious ways, which were then unpacked at great length by others, sometimes in a manner not so excellent; of which, as I commend the learning and acumen, so I have observed at first glance a diversity of goals."
Having read the above, I unpack my first and plow no further.

"But, that those things were not written for beginners, I readily understood; therefore, I commended the vast acres, but I thought to myself that but a little is to be cultivated: I saw them, as it were, contracted into a fist, and arranged in ingenious ways, which were then unpacked at great length by others, sometimes in a manner not so excellent; of which, as I commend the learning and acumen, so I have observed at first glance a diversity of goals."
Having read the above, I unpack my first and plow no further.
It has been my experience, that the theologians frequently indulge in their most florid and elegant, wordy and dense, Latin in their prefatory and dedicatory pieces. However, when it is time to get to the subject matter, clarity becomes the goal. Wendelin's Latin is really quite simple, clear, and direct, once he gets into the subject matter.

In Scripture, God is glorified with the title, "Almighty". Amen. He is worthy!

Wendelin explores some of the depths of this profound truth...

Back