Luther on drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Tomorrow I have to lecture on the drunkenness of Noah, so I should drink enough this evening to be able to talk about that wickedness as one who knows by experience.

LW 54, no. 3476

That's right up there with (Knox?) saying you can drink til you can't feel your teeth anymore.

The letter goes on to state that a Dr. Cordatus attempts to prevent him from drinking to which Luther states,

How could you outdo a German, dear Cordatus, except by making him drunk--especially a German who does not love music and women?

I really enjoyed reading this letter.

Yeah, if he was sincere and serious, such is neither exemplary nor commendable. Alas! that residue of indwelling sin is a vexation that shall follow us until glory. Thanks be to God for imputed righteousness and His perfect law which shuts us up to faith in Christ.
Was the drunkeness of Noah sin?
Gen 6:8-9 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. (9) These are the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God.
Gen 9:20-25 Noah began to be a man of the soil, and he planted a vineyard. (21) He drank of the wine and became drunk and lay uncovered in his tent. (22) And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside. (23) Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned backward, and they did not see their father's nakedness. (24) When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him, (25) he said, "Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brothers."
The only thing I see addressed as sin in that event was Ham's behavior, so if Luther were to get as drunk as Noah, is it necessarily sinful?

"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?" - Martin Luther

Brother Josh,

I would definitely agree that what my mind would normally perceive the word 'drunk' to mean would be sin, but this is the definition I find in Strong's for the word rendered 'drunk' in the aforementioned passage:
שׁכר
shâkar
shaw-kar'
A primitive root; to become tipsy; in a qualified sense, to satiate with a stimulating drink or (figuratively) influence. (Superlative of H8248.): - (be filled with) drink (abundantly), (be, make) drunk (-en), be merry.
Being reluctant to violate the ninth commandment by determining something of Noah that is not necessarily required by the text, could we charitably assume it means he was tipsy, and incidentally forgot to pull his blanket over himself? Or is there other scriptural warrant to ascribe a higher level of inebriation to our spiritual and biological ancestor?

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?" - Martin Luther
This is a fine quotation, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the subject at hand.
I don't know, but Mindy liked it!

Being reluctant to violate the ninth commandment by determining something of Noah that is not necessarily required by the text, could we charitably assume it means he was tipsy, and incidentally forgot to pull his blanket over himself? Or is there other scriptural warrant to ascribe a higher level of inebriation to our spiritual and biological ancestor?

The text seems to imply that Noah was unaware of the effects of alcohol, assuaging him of guilt. This is the first recorded instance of drunkenness in the Bible.

Ah! But yeast was created on the third day!!! So, Noah was totally familiar with, at least, the concept of drunkenness. Let's not play the "Dinah was raped" card!

I would say that 'tipsy' is not rising to the level of perfection required in the 7th Commandment which is "chastity in . . . body . . . and behavior," as well as "temperance." Falling asleep naked in a place where other folks are likely to be going is not a measure of sobriety. Noah's nudity was also a provocation to Ham's sin. It is, however, Ham's wrongdoing that is the focus of the passage.
But Josh, where is the implication that Noah's location was one that other folks would likely to be going? He was in his tent. Might that not be the equivalent of our modern bedrooms, a place normally not to be entered but by invitation? Would it not be proper to assume that Ham was the one who was doing wrong in a prohibited place?

I agree with Brad's questions. When I lay naked and tipsy in my tent, I usually don't like people romping through.

This is a fine quotation, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the subject at hand.
Sorry, JM, I understand now why you put this here. It's in the "Quotes Forum" and the title of the thread was "Luther on Drinking," so now I understand why you put it here. :)

It also proves that Luther believed drunkenness is a sin, if there was any question whether he was joking in the first quote.

"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21)

The Scripture says that he drank then was drunken, and there's no commendation of drunkenness (the state of being drunken) anywhere in Scripture.

I would point out that Genesis 43:34 and Haggai 1:6 use the same lemma as the Noah passage. These two passages seem to use the term in a positive manner.

Granted my Hebrew knowledge is non existent so there may be a simple reason as to why they are positive and all others negative.

I am not advocating drunkenness by any stretch, just stating that the word may not always mean drunk as we tend to think of being drunk.

I agree with all above about drunkeness. However, I agree with Brad and am unconvinced that this was what Noah did.

Ah! But yeast was created on the third day!!! So, Noah was totally familiar with, at least, the concept of drunkenness. Let's not play the "Dinah was raped" card!

While perusing old threads about the relationship between Genesis 1 and 2 a while back, I found discussions about the lack of plants in Gen. 2:5. I think someone (it might have even been you) pointed out that the plants which had not grown were plants that require cultivation, not plants indiscriminately. A vineyard certainly falls under that category, so it is possible no grapes had grown on day 3. Of course there was a millennium and a half or more between the garden and Noah's ark, but it still cannot be certain that a vineyard had been planted before Noah. The Hebrew of Gen. 9:20 can be translated, "Noah, a man of the soil, was the first to plant a vineyard" according to the ESV footnote and a few other translations I checked.

Now I have no vested interest in whether Noah was the first to plant a vineyard and become drunk or not (there are no perfect men in the Bible except Jesus, after all), but I think it is within the realm of possibility that Noah did not know he would become drunk.

austinww; said:
. . . but I think it is within the realm of possibility that Noah did not know he would become drunk.
Sure, and I do not mean to imply that it was Noah's intention to get drunk, but ignorance or "not meaning to" never clears us from guilt when it comes to God's Law.

Do you suppose that if I spiked your drink with a powerful odorless, tasteless drug while you weren't looking, you would be accountable for the effects?

Keep tryin' Austin

My response was that ridiculous? I would by no means assume that Noah was unfamiliar with wine and its effects, but neither can I assume otherwise without stronger evidence. This is the first recorded instance of drunkenness, and it happened to a very righteous man and resulted in no rebuke from God. That is not solid proof that Noah was ignorant, but it is worth considering.

And in the mean time, make sure you get a vacation :)

I'm going to visit my biological father and sisters in Kentucky from January 4th through 11th. I expect to meet the Phillips while I'm there, and possibly attend Midlane Park Presbyterian. :)

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Further, how did he know what a vineyard was and what it produced?

Good question. I'm not sure. I consider it entirely possible that he did know.

I believe that the main problem here is t that Ham refused to honor is father. Carefully covering Noah then maintaining careful deliberation to avoid shaming their father would have been the right approach. A private affair handled within the family is the best away to approach an act of drunkenness: "Hey Dad, it looks like you hit the wine pretty hard last night; is this the right thing to do before God? This would have given Noah a chance to explain and or to confess and repent. Embarrassing his father by hang out and maybe describing the scene for others later would have been incredibly rude.
"

It's a good article: Luther addressed the drunkenness of Noah three separate times.

"A vineyard certainly falls under that category, so it is possible no grapes had grown on day 3. Of course there was a millennium and a half or more between the garden and Noah's ark, but it still cannot be certain that a vineyard had been planted before Noah."

No, you can only take grape cuttings from one year old wood. One year old wood is what produced the grapes last year. So, there is proof positive that Noah collected cuttings from several mature grape vines. Besides, fermentation happens on it's own. I've seen birds right here in CA fall of fences after eating pyracantha berries late in the season when they start to ferment. The birds keep coming back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back