Luke 16 - why name a character in a parable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
When you read the gospels none of the characters in a parable get a name - except Lazarus? Why?

Looked at chronologically (Gospel Harmony) this story comes immediately before Mary and Martha send for him because Lazarus was sick. I think that |Jesus was already thinking of |Lazarus and put him, or at least his name into the parable.

... after 3 decades as a \Christian I have finally noticed. Alexander Whyte also suggested that our Lord's tears were in part because Lazarus was four days "in Abraham's bosom" in Paradise - only to be called back to earth.

It is also interesting that Lazarus did not talk about his experience, build a ministry out of it or write a book.

Maybe Luke 16 really happened and is not merely an object lesson or parable. It need not be the same Lazarus, however.

There is only one parable where the character is named! I believe it is linked with the resurrection of Lazarus, which followed.

I had never thought of the as a parable but Jesus outlining something that actually happened.

I have read that many believe this is a true story and not parable due to the fact that Lazarus is named.

I have read that many believe this is a true story and not parable due to the fact that Lazarus is named.

John Calvin would agree with. Most other commentators that I am aware of (Ryle, Henry, Hendriksen for example) say it is a parable. Its interesting that John Calvin didn't think it mattered either way.

For Jonathan Edwards and John Bunyan, this was NOT a parable, and that for several reasons: First, Christ does not call it a parable. Second, He names the characters specifically. There may be more reasons, but those are the only 2 I remember off the top of my head.

I think most of Jesus' parables he said they were parables right? And Luke 16 doesn't say it is a parable. Luke 16 to me is not a parable. I will definitely look more into the possible connection of Mary and Martha's Lazarus and the Rich man's Lazarus. I can't remember but I thought there was a good reason why they aren't one and the same. But I could be misremembering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back