Losing weight as submitted lifestyle practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1

Puritanboard Commissioner
Westminster Larger Catechism
(emphasis added)

Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?
A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves[721] and others[722] by resisting all thoughts and purposes,[723] subduing all passions,[724] and avoiding all occasions,[725] temptations,[726] and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any;[727] by just defence thereof against violence,[728] patient bearing of the hand of God,[729] quietness of mind,[730] cheerfulness of spirit;[731] a sober use of meat,[732] drink,[733] physic,[734] sleep,[735] labour,[736] and recreations;[737] by charitable thoughts,[738] love,[739] compassion,[740] meekness, gentleness, kindness;[741] peaceable,[742] mild and courteous speeches and behaviour;[743] forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil;[744] comforting and succouring the distressed and protecting and defending the innocent.[745]

Scripture proofs
(emphasis)

[732] Proverbs 25:16, 27. Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.... It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.
[733] 1 Timothy 5:23. Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
[734] Isaiah 38:21. For Isaiah had said, Let them take a lump of figs, and lay it for a plaster upon the boil, and he shall recover.
[735] Psalm 127:2. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
[736] Ecclesiastes 5:12. The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep. 2 Thessalonians 3:10, 12. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.... Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. Proverbs 16:20. He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.
[737] Ecclesiastes 3:4, 11. A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.... He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

As we emerge from the Holiday season, it is particularly sobering to see what God requires of us with regard to eating, particularly being overweight.

In light of the confession summary of doctrine, which points us to the high standard God calls us to, and based on some other posts, let's offers some practical advice about losing weight.

Those who have been successful, would you share two or three practical ways to lose weight, and keep it off?

-----Added 1/1/2009 at 08:38:45 EST-----

Here's three things that have made a sustained difference:

1) completely eliminate soda pop
2) eat a healthy breakfast (grains, fruit) every morning then tell yourself you are more "free" to eat the rest of the day
3) eat your vegetables first by habit, before getting to meat, bread, dessert

Interesting point. In keeping with the principle that God demands from us faithfulness and obedience, as opposed to necessarily results (which are within his providence), can be necessarily say it is a duty to lose weight? Or is the duty just to live in a the moderate and temperate way?

Oh but I think I completely agree with you on the soda pop - as in, that's something I need to do!

Here are the four that have most (I think) impacted my weight loss over the past 4 months (going from 245 to 205)

1) no pop
2) smaller lunch (small sandwich + 1 fruit) and dinner (salad plate size rather than dinner plate size)
3) regular sustained cardio exercise daily (competitive hoops or long (45min - hr) walks)
4) walking daily (mostly) to & from work also (25 mins each way)

Does anyone know, how effective is walking as compared to running? Is there a certain time/distance you must clock before in can be considered exercise?

toddpedlar toddpedlar

1) no pop
2) smaller lunch (small sandwich + 1 fruit) and dinner (salad plate size rather than dinner plate size)
3) regular sustained cardio exercise daily (competitive hoops or long (45min - hr) walks)

Do you use any kind of "reward" system built into this, to motivate or sustain this?

Does anyone know, how effective is walking as compared to running? Is there a certain time/distance you must clock before in can be considered exercise?

Very generally, based on Kenneth Cooper's program (The Aerobics Way), which assigns point values to physical exercise, there is only a marginally greater benefit to running than walking. That is (my figures for illustration only), walking at a normal deliberate pace is 85% as effective toward cardiovascular exercise as is jogging. This may not automatically translate into weight loss, but may be instructive as to effect.

So, somewhat surprisingly, deliberate walking is almost as good cardiovascular exercise. Both are very good exercise.

-----Added 1/1/2009 at 08:53:54 EST-----

Pergamum

Should we put fat people under church discipline for clear lifestyles of sin?

Please, let's not go there in this thread. You can start a thread on that if you wish.

We want to help people here practically apply this biblical principle. Perhaps you picked up some lifestyle practices there in the jungle that helped keep weight down you can share here.

The things Todd mentioned have been successful for me. Portion control and exercise. Having a "partner" to be accountable to also helps. A contest where weights are posted is extremely helpful for me. There's almost nothing more motivational than having someone laugh when you have not lost any (or very little) weight.

Sustaining the weight loss is a problem for me, and I eagerly wait to hear from those of you that have been successful over an extended period of time.

Interesting point. In keeping with the principle that God demands from us faithfulness and obedience, as opposed to necessarily results (which are within his providence), can be necessarily say it is a duty to lose weight? Or is the duty just to live in a the moderate and temperate way?

Oh but I think I completely agree with you on the soda pop - as in, that's something I need to do!

I think the biblical principle is to have the right attitude toward food...not idolatrize it. It is to be received with thanksgiving, God commends even our enjoyment of it, but not as a substitute for Him.

As John Calvin said, the human heart is an idol factory- we can idolatrize food, like any other good and necessary thing He gives us to enjoy. This is a particularly big problem, because the temptation is so everpresent in an affluent country like mine. It's easier to rationalize the sin and acceptance of it (the sin exists everywhere, but in one sense an abundance of food choices provides more temptation to seek it out for self-satisfaction as an end).

Ha, I've gained 10 pounds in 2 years here on the "Jungle Diet" despite lack of good food.

In the US too, the poorest demographic is the fattest.

I propose the theory that in the abundance of less than tasty food one eats more quantity to make up for lack of quality. I notice I eat less when we travel outside the country and we can eat what tastes like "gournet" food to us.

If I could choose any food I wanted and I knew that after a reasonable dinner I could have that small sliceof real good pie instead of sub-standard stuff, I could probably lose this weight.

Pergamum

Ha, I've gained 10 pounds in 2 years here on the "Jungle Diet" despite lack of good food.

How did you gain weight in a "destitute" region? Were not you automatically required to walk more, for example, and eat less "fatty" foods there?

No, cooking oil is used to cook everything. Also, hiking is not a great recreation here...the trails have mud up to my waist in places. Also, on the coast, the area is full of bad roads, crazy motorcycles and drunks.... hard to find quiet places to walk. I have switched to more weightlifting and have also gotten thicker without the corresponding maintenance of cardiovascular exercise. Also, hours and hours of meetings, and discussions drain me...and I have had malaria 4 times, worms 3 times, amoeba 3 times, etc. Plus, stress increases eating and there's been LOTS of that.

No, cooking oil is used to cook everything. Also, hiking is not a great recreation here...the trails have mud up to my waist in places. Also, on the coast, the area is full of bad roads, crazy motorcycles and drunks.... hard to find quiet places to walk. I have switched to more weightlifting and have also gotten thicker without the corresponding maintenance of cardiovascular exercise. Also, hours and hours of meetings, and discussions drain me...and I have had malaria 4 times, worms 3 times, amoeba 3 times, etc. Plus. stress increased eating and there's been LOTS of that.

Even with the wasting diseases you had (e.g. worms) and the stress, you did not lose weight?

What kind of cooking oil? Did you not eat lots of fruits, vegetables and fish?

I eat lots of EVERYTHING. I eat healthy, just lots of it...plus I bulk up easy (benched 375 in college and wrestled and squat for reps of 15-20 with 415lbs)....so, it packs on easy...like a brick....house of poopooo as I have been told.

Yes, even with diseases, hard to get exercise when laying in bed....though the uncontrollable shaking and vomiting does burn calories I guess.

-----Added 1/1/2009 at 09:43:43 EST-----

we try to use imported olive oil rather than the local stuff, but it is 4 times the price.

toddpedlar toddpedlar

1) no pop

Do you use any kind of "reward" system built into this, to motivate or sustain this?

My reward is that I know I'm caring for the body God has given me. It's a matter simply of the fact that I set out to do it. I didn't build in any "biggest loser" kind of reward days, mostly because I see those as very detrimental to the whole process. Either I'm dedicated to better care for my body or I'm not.

1) Drink a glass of water before and after the meal to feel fuller and avoid the cravings for a calorie laden dessert.

2) Exercise at least 5 days a week and at least one half hour a day. Include some weight lifting in your 'program' (muscle requires more calories to work than fat). Ideally you should exercise longer but many people get frustrated if they haven't been exercising at all and give up if they go too long. Start small; it is better than no exercise at all.

If you don't like gyms (I don't) get a stationary bike at home (I hate tread mills) or buy a pedal bike, roller blades, cross country skis or something that piques your interest. In other words don't make exercise a chore because you will probably find many reasons to eventually NOT work out.

3) Eliminate all junk food. Yes this is essential. Not only does it contain unnecessary sugar and fat it also has preservatives and a lot of other junk that wreaks havoc on your bodies ability to process food and maintain a healthy weight.

4) Watch what you eat. That is balance out your diet with a variety of wholesome foods (make sure you eat lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains). Good nutrition is essential to a balanced metabolism (and a balanced 'everything').

If you want to count calories then look up what an average male or female needs every day to function properly and then meet or fall short of that amount (somewhere around 3000 a day for the average male).

5) Stick with your plan even if you see no results. Eventually your body will have no choice but to lose weight but it may be slow going at first. If you cave in and eat a whole cheesecake in one sitting, you really messed up (!) but you shouldn't give up. At least continue with the diet for three months and see what the results are then.

P.S. Don't buy chocolate covered almonds. Ever. http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/i-need-your-stern-guidance-41415/

-----Added 1/1/2009 at 11:29:45 EST-----

One more thing: there is no magic cure. Diligence and hard work pays off; no pill will replace discipline and moderation.

1) No sugars or starches
2) Count carbohydrates, not fat or calories
3) No eating after 7 P.M.
4) Be serious about it, but don't become consumed by your plan, perseverance gets you to your goal.

-- And it doesn't hurt to have someone who will encourage you and make note of your progress from time to time either.

I'm down from 282# to 260# since the end of October.

Aaargggh, so much starch where I live! I love bread.....

Eat dough, become doughy I guess....

well, they say you are what you eat...

which means you probably ought to avoid [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak"]this [/ame](though I know it can be harvested close to you, Perg!)

Ha! I just sent some coffee Luwak home last year to supporters.....didn't tell them its origin until they gave me a favorable review of its nice, nutty taste.

Next month I plan to buy some more. Wanna try some? On me.

Ha! I just sent some coffee Luwak home last year to supporters.....didn't tell them its origin until they gave me a favorable review of its nice, nutty taste.

I've heard of this, Perg; it's one foodie thing I have no interest in, sorry! It might be a money-making thing for your peeps, though, and that would be good. Go, civets!

Go right ahead and send it forth. Just make sure there are beans in those turds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back