Lord's supper sign of "unbreakable" New Covenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. The New Covenant sign of baptism, like the Old Covenant sign of circumcision, represents regeneration.

It's great that you can see the similarity between the circumcision and baptism. That's exactly what I am arguing.

In the Old Covenant, circumcision was the covenant sign. It was applied to those who were in the covenant, including the elect and the non-elect. For the elect, it signify regeneration, for the non-elect, it signify covenant curse.

In the New Covenant, baptism is the covenant sign. It is applied to those who are in the covenant, including the elect and the non-elect. For elect, it signify regeneration, for the non-elect, it signify covenant curse.

There was no disconnect between the sign and the people it is applied to in this view, because covenant member to whom the covenant sign is applied include both the elect and the nonelect in both the Old and New Covenant.

The substance signified by the Old Covenant sign and the New Covenant sign is the same, welcome abroad. :handshake:

You guys should just meet at the Starbucks in the Gaslamp Quarter and discuss it over coffee!

You guys should just meet at the Starbucks in the Gaslamp Quarter and discuss it over coffee!

:ditto: Some of these threads come full circle rather fast. That is when I usually stop posting. When both sides are firm in their position there is only so far you can go with the discussion. Well...In my humble opinion only.

Someone define "means of grace." This term is used often; I think most who use it assume all know what it means.

Thanks,

John

:ditto: Some of these threads come full circle rather fast. That is when I usually stop posting. When both sides are firm in their position there is only so far you can go with the discussion. Well...In my humble opinion only.

I agree, and since they are both located in the greatest city on earth...

Someone define "means of grace."

The Lord works a strengthening of our faith through the preached word and through the visible word, or sacrament, because He ordained it and we need tangible confirmation of our hope in Him and of our bond together.

The means of word and sacrament are a conduit whereby the power of God changes the old man into the new man, inwardly and publicly.

Like new-born babes we grasp the mystery of them tightly in our little fists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back