Lord's Supper in homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Federbock

Puritan Board Freshman
Today was the first time I served as deacon during Lord's supper in church at the New Years service.

During preparations we talked a little about Lord's supper in homes without the pastor. I now some churches in our denomination do this. What would be the reformed understanding?

Would a proper historical reformed church ever have Lord's supper in the homes without a pastor?

You need a minister of the word to officiate and administer.
WCF 29
III. The Lord Jesus has, in this ordinance, appointed His ministers to declare His word of institution to the people, to pray, and bless the elements of bread and wine, and thereby to set them apart from a common to an holy use; and to take and break the bread, to take the cup, and (they communicating also themselves) to give both to the communicants; but to none who are not then present in the congregation.

IV. Private masses, or receiving this sacrament by a priest, or any other alone; as likewise, the denial of the cup to the people, worshipping the elements, the lifting them up, or carrying them about, for adoration, and the reserving them for any pretended religious use; are all contrary to the nature of this sacrament, and to the institution of Christ.

Most Presbyterian denominations have over the centuries made some exception provision for administering outside the congregation; but it requires a minister nonetheless.

Thank you for answer. I will spend some time with the westminster confession and perhaps write something in swedish to prepare for next time this topic comes up in church.

Joe,

It is similar in the Baptist confession:

1689 LBC Chapter 30

3. The Lord Jesus hath, in this ordinance, appointed his ministers to pray, and bless the elements of bread and wine, and thereby to set them apart from a common to a holy use, and to take and break the bread; to take the cup, and, they communicating also themselves, to give both to the communicants.
( 1 Corinthians 11:23-26, etc. )
4. The denial of the cup to the people, worshipping the elements, the lifting them up, or carrying them about for adoration, and reserving them for any pretended religious use, are all contrary to the nature of this ordinance, and to the institution of Christ.
( Matthew 26:26-28; Matthew 15:9; Exodus 20:4, 5 )

During preparations we talked a little about Lord's supper in homes without the pastor.

Does you church meet in a public place or in private homes?

We meet in a regular church building every sunday (and some other days, as new years day) for worship.

Some also meet during the week for worship in small groups in the homes, there are from those meetings the question came up.

If you have a public meeting place, and your minister serves the LS often, why are some wanting to do it privately in their own homes? It sounds like some are dissatisfied with the frequency, or manner in which the church provides the LS and are trying to take matters into their own hands. We have this phenomenon in America as well. These people assume that the church is flawed and they themselves can do it better. Usually, the next step is these people leave the church in favor of doing a 'house church'.

If you have a public meeting place, and your minister serves the LS often, why are some wanting to do it privately in their own homes? It sounds like some are dissatisfied with the frequency, or manner in which the church provides the LS and are trying to take matters into their own hands. We have this phenomenon in America as well. These people assume that the church is flawed and they themselves can do it better. Usually, the next step is these people leave the church in favor of doing a 'house church'.

This is an importan insight. It sure will help me think clearer in this issue. It seems to be more things involved than I thought and it might become a real problem if not handled with care.

On a side note: I was reading the Confession of Faith on the Lord's Supper and I cannot find anything by way of proof text or any explanation of why it requires a minister. Where is one to find more information from Scripture on this matter?

On a side note: I was reading the Confession of Faith on the Lord's Supper and I cannot find anything by way of proof text or any explanation of why it requires a minister. Where is one to find more information from Scripture on this matter?

Does the Lord's Supper require a church? If so, then why would anyone else but a 'minister' do the 'ministering'? Those who want flexibility in the administration usually want to acquire the Supper for their own personal/family use and, therefore, have a low view of the visible church itself.

The Westminsterians, however, had a high view of the visible church and therefore a high view of the office of minister.

Given what Paul says in 1 Cor 11, ("For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.") I don't know why someone other than a minister would want to place such an unnecessary burden upon themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back