Lord's Day 28 (2018). A church without the Sabbath is apostate (PCUSA GA, 1854)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Lord's Day 28 (2018). Resolved, That the proper observance of the Christian Sabbath is essential alike to the purity and progress of the church, and to the prosperity of the state. A church without the Sabbath is apostate; a people who habitually desecrate this divine institution have abandoned one of the grand foundations of social order and political freedom. PCUSA General Assembly (1854). Danæu: "Christ is born, is circumcised, dies, rises again for us every day in the preaching of the Gospel." "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24.

I just posted this on Facebook.

The Forgotten Commandment

True Christians believe most of the Ten Commandments. Why do I say most? Because there is one commandment that is fallen out of favor among many (from my experience most) Christians. This commandment is different than the other nine in that there is nothing in our nature that prompts us to its keeping. Unlike the vain use of God's name, idolatry, adultery, theft, murder, false witness-bearing and the rest, there is no obvious self-interest brought to bear on our consciences—No Golden Rule principle to spark the conscience into action. Nor in our modern culture are there any civil penalties for breaking this command. Much like the forbidden fruit in the garden, we have only one motivation to obey. What is that motive? It is the Word of the Living God alone that informs us of the duties and sins relating to this commandment.

What Commandment am I speaking about? You must have guessed by now. It is the Fourth Commandment which informs us of this Law of God.

Exodus 20:8
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Verses 9-11 gives us the details, but I think I have said enough.

(Then I quoted the Resolution in the OP)
Thanks, Chris

Bet I don't get too many likes.
Dear PB members. I was not referring to you folks in my "from my experience most." comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back