Looking for writer of preface to Hendrickson Edition of "The Institutes..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed B

Puritan Board Freshman
I used a quote from the preface to the Hendrickson edition of Henry Beveridge's translation of The Institutes of the Christian Religion. I wrote a short testimonial on prayer and my struggles with meaningful prayer. I referenced the following passage from the preface

”…Calvin used two phrases to describe the Christian life: that faith is the principle work of the Holy Spirit; that prayer is the principle exercise of faith. All of life was to be lived before God as a prayer – as dialogue with a personal God. Within this life of prayer, in gratitude for the gracious gift of salvation, believers would live orderly, socially redemptive lives. ”​

I need to give proper credit but I cannot find where anyone is named as the person who wrote the preface. The Original translation's preface is also given in this edition and it was done by Thomas Norton, but he clearly did not write the short piece I am referencing above.

This URL will take you to the book and you can see the preface.

Institutes of the Christian Religion - John Calvin, Jean Calvin - Google Books

Any help in identifying the writer of the new preface is appreciated.

I have the same edition and I also could not find an author listed for the preface. It seems that it is intentionally anonymous, and the use of pronouns such as "we" give the impression that the preface was meant to come off as the collaborative thoughts of all those at Hendrikson who worked on this edition, even though there was likely just one author. I am not sure how you would properly cite something like this.

Yeah, it was probably just someone on staff at Hendrickson. Some prefaces and forwards in Banner of Truth books that are signed "The Publishers" were usually done by Iain H. Murray, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back