Looking for the source of a quotation of Hilary [of Poitiers?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebastianClinciuJJ

Puritan Board Freshman
In his work, Articuli a facilitate s. theologiae Parisiensi determinati super materiis fidei nostrae hodie controversis. Cum Antidoto (eng: Articles of Sacred Theology of Paris & the Antidote), Calvin qoutes Hilary (I think it's Hilary of Poitiers) as saying:
"We do wrong in venerating the Church of God in roofs and edifices. Is it doubtful that in these Antichrist will sit? Safer to me are mountains , and woods, and lakes, amid dungeons, and whirlpools ; for in these, either hidden or immersed, did prophets prophesy."

Latin text, from the CR (Corpus Reformatorum):
"Male, [inquit], nos parietum amor coepit; male ecclesiam Dei in tectis aedificiisque venerainur: anne ambiguumest, in his Antichristum essesessurum? montes mihi et sylvae, et lacus, et carceres, et voragines sunt tutiores: in his enim prophetae, aut latentes, aut demersi prophetabant."

(Art. XVIII, Antidotum)

CR gives the following source: "Contra Auxentium". I was unable to find this work in the PL, even less the precise source.

Can someone please find the source of this quotation? (The best thing would be a reference from the PL)

Auxentius of Milan is the man being responded to, contrarily so ("contra Auxentium"--note 'Contra Auxentium' is not the accurate title of the work), by Hilary of Pointers.

The quote used by Calvin is perhaps taken from Hilary's Contra Arianos vel Auxentium Mediolanensem liber (365 AD). For example, the short work appears in a collection:
https://books.google.com/books?id=WSBAAQAAMAAJ

Auxentius of Milan is the man being responded to, contrarily so ("contra Auxentium"--note 'Contra Auxentium' is not the accurate title of the work), by Hilary of Pointers.

The quote used by Calvin is perhaps taken from Hilary's Contra Arianos vel Auxentium Mediolanensem liber (365 AD). For example, the short work appears in a collection:
https://books.google.com/books?id=WSBAAQAAMAAJ

Thank you very much. I found it in “Liber contra Arianos vel Auxentium”.
The reference is PL 10:616.

Blessings in Christ,
Sebastian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the above, you may find Jerome interesting to the same effect...

Jerome (347-420): The Church does not consist in walls, but in the truths of her teachings. The Church is there where there is true faith. As a matter of fact, fifteen and twenty years ago, all the church buildings belonged to heretics [namely the Arians], for heretics twenty years ago were in possession of them; but the true Church was there where the true faith was. Fathers of the Church, Vol. 48, The Homilies of St. Jerome: Vol. 1, On the Psalms, Homily 46 (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1964), p. 344.
Latin text: Ecclesia non parietibus consistit, sed in dogmatum veritate. Ecclesia ibi est ubi fides vera est. Caeterum ante annos quindecim aut viginti, parietes omnes hic Ecclesiarum haeretici possidebant. Ante viginti enim annos, omnes Ecclesias has haeretici possidebant. Ecclesia autem vera illic erat, ubi vera fides erat. Breviarium in Psalmos, Psalmus CXXXIII, PL 26:1223.

Jerome (347-420): After these proceedings the Council [i.e. the Synod of Ariminum, 359 AD, an Arian convention] was dissolved. All returned in gladness to their own provinces. For the Emperor and all good men had one and the same aim, that the East and West should be knit together by the bond of fellowship. But wickedness does not long lie hid, and the sore that is healed superficially before the bad humor has been worked off breaks out again. Valens and Ursacius and others associated with them in their wickedness, eminent Christian bishops of course, began to wave their palms, and to say they had not denied that He was a creature, but that He was like other creatures. At that moment the term Usia was abolished: the Nicene Faith stood condemned by acclamation. The whole world groaned, and was astonished to find itself Arian. NPNF2: Vol. VI, The Dialogue Against the Luciferians, §19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back