Looking for Opinions on Android Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenG

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey all,

Any avid Android users out there that can recommend an affordable yet solid all-around Android smartphone?
I am on AT&T and if possible, I want to be able to use the phone without a data plan. Right now, I think my best bet may be the ASUS Zenfone 2. Thoughts?

P.S.- Let's not start the age-old Apple v.s. Android debate! :worms: Suffice it so say I'm looking to join 'Team Android.'

I recently got the Sony Xperia Z1 on recommendation from my brother. I think e.g. Z4 s are available (?) but I didn't get the latest version in order to save money. I don't know what money you've got to spend. I got it on Amazon. It seems very good.

I had an HTC Wildfire before for three years or so but it was much older and inferior to this.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

My wife and I are using a Galaxy Grand Prime, Android 5.0.2 model phone through Walmart "Straight Talk" - Unlimited talk, text, data (5GB high speed) - $45/mo.

I picked her unit up on a Black Friday Sale for $50. (My phone cost $150). No contract.

We love it!

A flip phone and wi-fi only tablet? I've since gone whole hog with a Samsung S6 which I love. Another thought, Android has settings to limit data usage, so if you can find a barebones data plan, you can keep from hitting mobile networks automatically.

I use StraightTalk. It's $45 a month with no contract. I bought a Galaxy S3 for $200 and I am very pleased. Admittedly, I'm no tech junky, but for what I do, it is more than sufficient and very economical.

If you buy a phone that is "unlocked", like the Moto X Pure, or Nexus 5/6p - you just have to pop in an AT&T SIM card into it, and don't have to deal with device activation. In addition, those two Android phones are pretty much vanilla Android - which means you don't have to deal with slowness in Android updates like with Samsung or others. Particularly with the Nexus since it gets updates directly from Google.

I had a Galaxy S6, and while it is a good phone - I didn't care for the TouchWiz launcher that Samsung puts on it. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the phones mentioned in this thread.

Moto G and Moto X are two cheaper phones (especially if you have to buy unlock) that are quite good. I had a Moto G first gen and my wife still uses it and I loved it, and I hear it's only gotten better. It's a bit smaller than other phones, but I prefer the size.

If you buy a phone that is "unlocked", like the Moto X Pure, or Nexus 5/6p - you just have to pop in an AT&T SIM card into it, and don't have to deal with device activation. In addition, those two Android phones are pretty much vanilla Android - which means you don't have to deal with slowness in Android updates like with Samsung or others. Particularly with the Nexus since it gets updates directly from Google.

I had a Galaxy S6, and while it is a good phone - I didn't care for the TouchWiz launcher that Samsung puts on it. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the phones mentioned in this thread.

I've heard that AT&T can track what phone your SIM card is in and will heap a data plan on even if you don't want one. Also, there is the issue of getting contacts, etc. onto the new phone. The Moto X seems good, but isn't it a bit expensive?

I've heard that AT&T can track what phone your SIM card is in and will heap a data plan on even if you don't want one. Also, there is the issue of getting contacts, etc. onto the new phone. The Moto X seems good, but isn't it a bit expensive?

That might be the case. I've always had a data plan, sorry! I sync my contacts on the cloud (Outlook, or Google). As far as expensive is concerned, that's obviously relative. What is your price point? An unlocked Galaxy S6 goes for around $469 on Amazon right now. A 32GB Moto X is $399. An iPhone 6 (16GB) is $549.00. Given that comparison, I think the Moto X is a decent price.

Like I said, it is all relative. For that screen size, processor, etc. the Moto X and Nexus are at a pretty good price point in my opinion.

That might be the case. I've always had a data plan, sorry! I sync my contacts on the cloud (Outlook, or Google). As far as expensive is concerned, that's obviously relative. What is your price point? An unlocked Galaxy S6 goes for around $469 on Amazon right now. A 32GB Moto X is $399. An iPhone 6 (16GB) is $549.00. Given that comparison, I think the Moto X is a decent price.

Like I said, it is all relative. For that screen size, processor, etc. the Moto X and Nexus are at a pretty good price point in my opinion.

Right. My budget is probably going to be under $250. I'm sure I can find something!

Right. My budget is probably going to be under $250. I'm sure I can find something!

Moto G is the cheaper version of the Moto X, and it's an excellent phone! (Moto E is a bit cheaper than the G, but I recommend going with the G)

Moto G is the cheaper version of the Moto X, and it's an excellent phone! (Moto E is a bit cheaper than the G, but I recommend going with the G)

I've only heard good things about the G!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back