Looking for CDs (1650 acappella)

Status
Not open for further replies.

irresistible_grace

Puritan Board Junior
We use the 1650 at church & during family worship. I am looking for CDs that will help us to become more comfortable/familiar with the tunes. The tune for AMAZING GRACE its getting old...

If you recommend a CD...
Where did you get it?
How much did it cost?
What is your favorite thing about it?
How often do you listen to it?
etc.

Hi Jess,

These free recordings will get you started:

The Psalms of David – Sung a cappella (Puritan Board member "Connor Q")
A Capella Psalm Singing - YouTube (Puritan Board member "Moireach")
Texan Rose: Free Psalm Recordings, Scottish Psalter (Puritan Board member "Texan Rose")
Niallags's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I will send a message to Sharon (Texan Rose) to request that she include her thoughts. She is one of our resident experts on 1650 recordings on the internet.

Here is a resource on tunes, including common metre:
Christian Classics Ethereal Hymnary: Hymn Tune Indexes

Hi Jess,

Texan Rose: Free Psalm Recordings, Scottish Psalter (Puritan Board member "Texan Rose")

I will send a message to Sharon (Texan Rose) to request that she include her thoughts. She is one of our resident experts on 1650 recordings on the internet.

1 member(s) found this post helpful. ;)

Crown & Covenant has a set of recordings sung a cappella by the Northern Presbytery Choir of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland. There are five CDs total each costing $20 a piece. So you could get the whole set for $100.

But of course, you could simply seek to learn other Common Meter tunes using sites like Cyber Hymnal. Listen, learn, sing!

And you know doubt know other CM tunes:

• O, For A Thousand Tongues to Sing
  • O God Our Help in Ages Past
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem (CM Double)
  • America the Beautiful (CM Double)
I will say this for the older traditional Psalter Tunes: though they are less familiar to the modern American ear, they are more simple and solemn and require very little effort to learn and sing; which are all very important in the public worship of the church. So I would recommend learning them.

What about the Continuing Psalm CD's recorded by Bill Scott of Edinburgh Free Continuing?

In Christ

I like the "Performed in Heaven" CD. You can listen to it here:
Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music
It's available from the FP bookrooom: Free Presbyterian Bookroom and might be available elsewhere too; try Google-ing the title. :)
I like it because it's the most professional-sounding of the CD's I've heard and it also happens to be fairly affordable.

I don't have these CDs, but I've heard rave reviews, and the price is definitely right:
Psalm CDs - Presbyterian Reformed Church

The set of 5 CDs from the RPI is pretty good also. The first three are better than the last two. They are expensive though (in my opinion).

Honestly, the selection of CDs from the 1650 is not what it should be. I usually just listen to recordings that I've downloaded from the internet. You can compile quite a playlist if you want to spend the time following the links above and downloading recordings from various websites.

Hi Jess,

Thanks for posting these Tim. So much to listen to.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your suggestions and love the link to your blog. I have the 5 CDs from Northern Ireland RP ($100) and a do listen to them often but most of the time we have to learn the psalm before we understand what they are saying!

For those who are looking for the "ultimate" resource, here is a project that is not yet complete and not yet totally financed:

projectpsalms.com

This is what will be included in the package:

. A 15 Audio CD set with the first-ever comprehensive recordings of the metrical Psalms (including 2 versions for 13 of the Psalms) as found in the original Scottish Psalter of 1650 (sung unaccompanied by a professional tenor).

. A 4 MP3 CD set with the same recordings but in MP3 format.

. A hard-copy booklet containing the Scottish Psalter of 1650 text and also devotional and contextual notes by John Brown of Haddington.

. A hard-copy booklet containing the sheet music for the tunes used throughout the recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back