Looking for books on 3 very different topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myson

Puritan Board Freshman
First, I'm interested in how Israel is connected in Reformed Theology. I live in an area where Christian Zionism is the air you breathe and every single policy has to benefit Israel or else God will be against us. I doubt this for many reasons. How do we talk to folks like this? How do we work to change this kind of attitude? What do the Scriptures really say about Israel?

Secondly, I'm really wondering about the apostles. Not just their history, but the theology behind them. What did it take to be an apostle? If Peter was greater, then why does it appear that James had more authority in Acts 15 or we have more of Paul's letters? Was Paul counted as one of the 12? If so, who did he replace? If 12 wasn't too significant to the overall picture, then why start with 12 and add more later? Was an apostle always someone who had divine authourity? Then shouldn't we have their writings? Why does Paul say one of the ways you can know he's an apostle is by his suffering? And how would the Jews at that time have seen the role of apostle? Was it analogous to any priestly or prophetic duty?

Lastly, what were the early church views on the Sabbath? I recently read an article that was a summary of a book on the Sabbath's history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thegospelcoalition.org/reviews/a-brief-history-of-sunday/?amp

I'm wondering if there are any other works on the Sabbath history? How did the first 8 centuries of the church handle this question? How do our cultural trends affect how we worship on the Lord's Day. How does Sabbatarianism deal with the Sabbath usually starting on the sundown of the "day" before? How practically should we handle this day?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

First, The Israel God by O. Palmer Robertson.

Third, the Covenantal Sabbath by Francis Nigel Lee.
Very helpful, I've never heard of The Covenantal Sabbath. I just looked it up. It's online for free, but pretty hard to come by in hardcover. Who was Lee?

First, I'm interested in how Israel is connected in Reformed Theology. I live in an area where Christian Zionism is the air you breathe and every single policy has to benefit Israel or else God will be against us. I doubt this for many reasons. How do we talk to folks like this? How do we work to change this kind of attitude? What do the Scriptures really say about Israel?

Secondly, I'm really wondering about the apostles. Not just their history, but the theology behind them. What did it take to be an apostle? If Peter was greater, then why does it appear that James had more authority in Acts 15 or we have more of Paul's letters? Was Paul counted as one of the 12? If so, who did he replace? If 12 wasn't too significant to the overall picture, then why start with 12 and add more later? Was an apostle always someone who had divine authourity? Then shouldn't we have their writings? Why does Paul say one of the ways you can know he's an apostle is by his suffering? And how would the Jews at that time have seen the role of apostle? Was it analogous to any priestly or prophetic duty?

Lastly, what were the early church views on the Sabbath? I recently read an article that was a summary of a book on the Sabbath's history.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thegospelcoalition.org/reviews/a-brief-history-of-sunday/?amp

I'm wondering if there are any other works on the Sabbath history? How did the first 8 centuries of the church handle this question? How do our cultural trends affect how we worship on the Lord's Day. How does Sabbatarianism deal with the Sabbath usually starting on the sundown of the "day" before? How practically should we handle this day?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Israel/Church - G. K. Beale - New Testament Biblical Theology. Also, some Reformed commentaries on Galtians and Romans.

The Sabbath - Nicholas Bownd "The True Doctrine of the Sabbath" and Thomas Shepard "Theses Sabbaticae" are two of the finest books on the Sabbath.

For your second question you may want to check out Herman Ridderbos' "Redemptive History and the New Testament Scriptures".

First, I'm interested in how Israel is connected in Reformed Theology. I live in an area where Christian Zionism is the air you breathe and every single policy has to benefit Israel or else God will be against us.

Read 19th century Scottish missionaries. They were pro-"a mighty late-time conversion of the Jewish people," without being Neo-cons.

It's complicated. Some worshiped on Saturday. Others on Sunday, and for those on Sunday, some were hard-core, some weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back