Looking for book on Presbyterian history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a used copy of the volume listed below and it has been fascinating:

Presbyterians, A Popular Narrative of Their Origin, Progress, Doctrines, and Achievements
Author: Hays, Geo. P.; Hall, John (Introduction); Moore, William E. (Introduction)
Published: New York; J.A. Hill & Co., 1892

This one right here. (Posting link to Amazon, but you can obtain it from numerous vendors.)

This one here.
This looks great; a forward by George Marsden about clinches the deal for me.

I just picked up a used copy of the volume listed below and it has been fascinating:

Presbyterians, A Popular Narrative of Their Origin, Progress, Doctrines, and Achievements
Author: Hays, Geo. P.; Hall, John (Introduction); Moore, William E. (Introduction)
Published: New York; J.A. Hill & Co., 1892

I just looked this up on Google. Thanks. This gentleman, Hall, seems familiar. Is he known for other works?

Thanks for the resources, y'all. I've been reading American Presbyterian history from the late colonial period through to about the 1860s.

@Valleyofvision2023 Re: Luther. Roland Bainton's work has been widely read for many decades. My professors in college kind of looked down on it, but it may have been because both he, and Luther, took the faith seriously. It's been many years since I've read it.

Last edited:
Reformed and Evangelical Across Four Centuries: The Presbyterian Story in America (2022) by Nathan P. Feldmeth, S. Donald Fortson III, Garth M. Rosell, & Kenneth J. Stewart.

Presbyterian & Reformed Churches: A Global History (2012) by James E. McGoldrick

The Oxford Handbook of Presbyterianism (2019) edited by Gary Scott Smith and P.C. Kemeny.
With regards to the first book by Feldmeth, et al., I'd recommend looking at these first to see where it does well and doesn't do so well.

Reformed and Evangelical Across Four Centuries: The Presbyterian Story in America (2022) by Nathan P. Feldmeth, S. Donald Fortson III, Garth M. Rosell, & Kenneth J. Stewart.

Presbyterian & Reformed Churches: A Global History (2012) by James E. McGoldrick

The Oxford Handbook of Presbyterianism (2019) edited by Gary Scott Smith and P.C. Kemeny.
I recently read Presbyterian and Reformed Across Four Centuries and it was excellent in setting Presbyterianism in the context of the Reformation as well as English and Scottish contexts.

By the way, one of the things you learn about Presbyterian history is that many men deserted Washington with the exception of a very large number of Sctottish and Scotch-Irish Presbyterians.
It lead to one of the Hessian officers to remark that it seemed like they were facing Presbyterians in battle in the Revolutionary War.

By the way, one of the things you learn about Presbyterian history is that many men deserted Washington with the exception of a very large number of Sctottish and Scotch-Irish Presbyterians.
It lead to one of the Hessian officers to remark that it seemed like they were facing Presbyterians in battle in the Revolutionary War.

The Presbyterian Rebellion?

[Excerpt] In short, the American Revolution did have a “holy war” dynamic to it that pitted Anglicans against dissenters (who were generally referred to as Presbyterians), and in the minds of the loyalists, the war was fundamentally, at bottom, a Presbyterian rebellion. It is, without question, an accurate assessment of how King George III and his advocates perceived the American war. Whether that perception was entirely accurate may be another question, but the very fact that it was how they viewed it is an important dynamic that should not be overlooked as we chronicle America’s nativity narrative.​

It is, without question, an accurate assessment of how King George III and his advocates perceived the American war.

Prime Minister Horace Walpole: “Cousin America has run off with a Presbyterian parson!”

Of course as a southerner I'd be remiss not to mention Samuel Doak and the Overmountain Men.

How is the Gold Become Dim, by Morton Smith. Hard to find nowadays.

Story of the Scottish Church by M'Crie is excellent, but if you want something that goes back to the apostles, this is a nice but brief overview in the following chapters at this link:

IN 1869 the Free Church of Scotland presented a prize for the best essay on the fundamental principles of presbyterian order and government. The judges unanimously awarded the prize to Rev. James Moir Porteous for his essay, which was revised and enlarged for publication as the book, "The Government of the Kingdom of Christ. An Inquiry at to the Scriptural, Invincible and Historical Position of Presbytery."

Parts I and II of this book have been re-published by the James Begg Society as "Jesus Christ King of the Church." It is available here.

Part III is a historical survey of presbyterianism from the first century A.D. until 1888, the date of the book's original publication, with a concluding chapter on the present (to 1888) position and future anticipations of presbyterianism. The graphic above is taken from the original title-page of Part III.

The James Begg Society is pleased to make this third part of Rev. James Moir Porteous's work available on our website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back