Looking for book about origin of Catholic Doctrines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

moral necessity

Puritan Board Junior
I'm looking for the name of the book that traces the origin of each Catholic doctrine.
It goes through the immaculate conception, prayers of saints, extreme unction, mass, etc...and discovers its origin and development.

I think it was written in the late 1800s originally...maybe 1900s...not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Blessings!

You won't find one single book that adequately explains the origins of each dogma. Such a book would run a dozen volumes.

However, I would avoid the Protestant versions of Catholic apologists. What book's logical rigor would pass the muster of an academic peer-reviewed board? I"m not saying that we have to appease secular academics (ironically, the heads of Oxford publishing sub depts in religion are almost always Christians). I am saying that academic peer-reviewed boards will spot soft and weak arguments.

I'd start with Schaff.

I don't think so. Ott is Catholic.

I'm looking for the book from that traces the history of each doctrine and shows they weren't there from the beginning of the Church.

Gotcha. The second half of what you are looking for (underlined above) was absent from your OP or I definitely wouldn't have recommended a Catholic dogmatician to you! Lol. Happy hunting my friend!

Gotcha. The second half of what you are looking for (underlined above) was absent from your OP or I definitely wouldn't have recommended a Catholic dogmatician to you! Lol. Happy hunting my friend!
Sorry that the OP wasn't clear...your help was much appreciated.

You won't find one single book that adequately explains the origins of each dogma. Such a book would run a dozen volumes.

However, I would avoid the Protestant versions of Catholic apologists. What book's logical rigor would pass the muster of an academic peer-reviewed board? I"m not saying that we have to appease secular academics (ironically, the heads of Oxford publishing sub depts in religion are almost always Christians). I am saying that academic peer-reviewed boards will spot soft and weak arguments.

I'd start with Schaff.
Well...I just found one online a few days ago that traced the origins of each major Catholic belief, and now I can't locate it. I almost made the purchase. It was in a hardcover slipcase, I think. I thought it might be too old to be relevant, being pre-vatican II, but then figured it might still be good b/c it traced the origins of the Immaculate Conception, extreme unction, etc, and found what years they came about and how.

Thanks for your help though.

Found the book I was looking for and it arrived yesterday!

The Papal System from its origin to the present time. A historical sketch of every doctrine, claim and practice of the Church of Rome, by William Cathcart, written in 1872, reprinted by the Baptist Heritage Press in 1989. 471 pages

Not sure how good it will be...but it looks promising.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L85T60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those interested, the Table of Contents is below, and here is a short bio on the author: http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/cathcart.william.bio.html

Preface:
"The objects aimed at in this work are to sketch the birth, growth, and maturity of every Romish belief and practice; to furnish a contrast between papal and ancient Christianity, to present all decrees, canons, and other testimonies in their original languages and in translations; to show the bearings of popery upon some of our cherished institutions; to describe the present observances of the Catholic Church; and to give reliable, and generally, Romish authorities for every important statement; together with the pages, or the books and chapters, by which quotations can be verified. This treatise is entirely undenominational..."

I. Papal Supremacy Over The Churches.
A. The Ancient British Church.
B. The Popes have no power in the Irish Church for many centuries after Christ.
C. The Ancient Scotch Church.
D. Councils for seven centuries repudiate Papal jurisdiction - The Council of Nice.
E. Council of Sardica.
F. Constantinople
G. Ephesus
H. Chalcedon
I. The Fifth General Council met at Constantinople
J. The Sixth General Council was held in Constantinople
K. Another Council held in the same city
L. Bishops and Presbyters the same offices
M. The equality of all Bishops
N. The means by which the Pope became sovereign of all Catholic Churches
II. The Pope claims to be lord of kings and governments
III. The Council of Trent
IV. Baptism
V. Confirmation
VI. The Lord's Supper, The Eucharist, The Mass
VII. The Confessional
VIII. Extreme Unction
IX. The Sacrament of Holy Orders
X. Marriage
XI. The Celibacy of the Clergy
XII. Catholic Justification
XIII. Purgatory
XIV. Indulgences
XV. The Worship of Relics
XVI. Miracles
XVII. Invocation and worship of Saints and Angels
XVIII. The worship of the Virgin Mary
XIX. The worship of images
XX. Papal infallibility and the Council of 1870
XXI. The freedom of the press
XXII. Intention in the Priest necessary to the validity of a Sacrament
XXIII. Secret societies
XXIV. The family and public worship, and the books of Protestants
XXV. The Catholic Church and public education
XXVI. Sins taken away by gifts and favors
XXVII. No salvation for Protestants
XXVIII. The Mass in Latin
XXIX. Sincerity of Catholic Priests
XXX. Hymns and those who composed them
XXXI. Roman Catholics who were worthy of all honor
XXXII. The Inquisition
XXXIII. The Scriptures
XXXIV. The four great founders of Monkish Institutions
XXXV. The Jesuits
Appendix - The Creed of Pope Pius IV; the form of faith binding on all the Clergy of the Catholic Church

Blessings!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back