Featured Looking for book about origin of Catholic Doctrines...

Discussion in 'The Literary Forum' started by moral necessity, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM.

1. moral necessity

moral necessity Puritan Board Junior

I'm looking for the name of the book that traces the origin of each Catholic doctrine.
    It goes through the immaculate conception, prayers of saints, extreme unction, mass, etc...and discovers its origin and development.

I think it was written in the late 1800s originally...maybe 1900s...not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Blessings!

2. BLM

BLM Puritan Board Freshman

3. Stephen L Smith

Stephen L Smith Moderator Staff Member

4. moral necessity

I don't think so. Ott is Catholic.

I'm looking for the book from that traces the history of each doctrine and shows they weren't there from the beginning of the Church.

Thanks for your help, however.

Blessings!

5. moral necessity

Thanks!...I'm not sure...I think it is too recent.

I remember seeing a reproduction of the book I'm looking for in a hardcover slipcase.
    I think the original was from the 1800's perhaps, but this was a reproduction...hmmm.

6. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

Edward Denny's Papalism?

7. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

J. A. Wylie, The Papacy: Its History, Dogmas, Genius and Prospects

8. alexandermsmith

alexandermsmith Puritan Board Sophomore

9. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

You won't find one single book that adequately explains the origins of each dogma. Such a book would run a dozen volumes.

However, I would avoid the Protestant versions of Catholic apologists. What book's logical rigor would pass the muster of an academic peer-reviewed board? I"m not saying that we have to appease secular academics (ironically, the heads of Oxford publishing sub depts in religion are almost always Christians). I am saying that academic peer-reviewed boards will spot soft and weak arguments.

I'd start with Schaff.

10. BLM

BLM Puritan Board Freshman

Gotcha. The second half of what you are looking for (underlined above) was absent from your OP or I definitely wouldn't have recommended a Catholic dogmatician to you! Lol. Happy hunting my friend!

11. moral necessity

Don't remember this being the one...but it is the right age.

12. moral necessity

Not sure...thanks for helping.

13. moral necessity

14. moral necessity

Sorry that the OP wasn't clear...your help was much appreciated.

15. moral necessity

Well...I just found one online a few days ago that traced the origins of each major Catholic belief, and now I can't locate it. I almost made the purchase. It was in a hardcover slipcase, I think. I thought it might be too old to be relevant, being pre-vatican II, but then figured it might still be good b/c it traced the origins of the Immaculate Conception, extreme unction, etc, and found what years they came about and how.

Thanks for your help though.

16. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritanboard Amanuensis

That's a good example of where a historical theology text helps the most. Duns Scotus believed in it, while Thomas Aquinas, interestingly enough, did not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. moral necessity

Actually, I think this is the one I'm looking for!!

The description here looks familiar - https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/books/The_Papal_System_1000330555

"From Its Origin to the Present Time, a Historical Sketch of Every Doctrine, Claim, and Practice of the Church of Rome"

Thanks for your help...now I just have to find where I saw the book for sale!

Blessings!

18. Phil D.

Phil D. Puritan Board Junior