Logic books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own Isaac Watt's book, and DO NOT recommend it for learning logic. It is archaic and not easy to follow. Stick with Copi or Hurley.
Thanks, Brian. Is it that bad? I can manage the archaic language (I happen to read much better than write :)) and somehow I trust a Christian (especially, Nonconformist) author more, than a secular one. The more so that I had a course in Logic at my University (I have a degree in Arts), so I am not quite a beginner. Do you think it will be such a bad choice for me? I have already placed an order, but I still can cancel it.

Hello Igor,

Yes, I think it is a waste of money in terms of learning logic. If you are interested in learning Traditional Aristotelian Logic from a Christian perspective, then I highly recommend Martin Cothran's Traditional Logic books 1 and 2. I have personally interacted with Martin several times (including coffee not far from his house), and we even debated each other formally once. I can tell you that he is very sharp, a Christian and wrote his text squarely from this position. This will be a much better investment than the Isaac Watts book. Cothran's book is intended for 7th through 12th grade, but is a fine text for older students. I cut my teeth on his stuff.

In the end, Copi is going to be much more comprehensive (covering Traditional Logic as well as other logics). If you can afford both, get Copi and Cothran.

Sincerely,

Brian

I have not heard of the book recommended by Tim. A pretty comprehensive introduction to logic is the mainstay Introduction to Logic by Copi. Don't worry about buying the latest edition - too expensive. You should be able to find a 10th edition for somewhere between $20 and $30.
Seems like you can get the latest edition cheaper: ISBN 0136141390 - AbeBooks
BTW, are there any books on the subject written from the theistic perspective?

I was recommended Logic, or the Right Use of Reason By Isaac Watts which is written from a Christian perspective. I thought that was what people were going to recommend here but I guess not.

Logic, or the Right Use of Reason - By: Isaac Watts - Christianbook.com

I was going to note it, but again, does it suit your purpose? Watt's companion book Improvement of the Mind is invaluable in general.

Thanks a lot, Brian. I think I will try to get both - perhaps not right now. But getting back to Watt's book - is there anything valuable in it? I could only see the table of contents and it seemed to me kind of interesting (I am more interested in improving my way of thinking and reasoning rather than learning logic).

Last edited:
I was going to note it, but again, does it suit your purpose? Watt's companion book Improvement of the Mind is invaluable in general.
I received it yesterday. Just started to read it and, men, I can tell you - it is outstanding. I can' t wait to get home from the office and get back to reading (perhaps, because my mind does need so much improvement)! Wish I had this years ago...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back