Living by the Promises of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
I uploaded a 4 page PDF of a quote from Beeke's most edifying book on the promises of God. This book has been used as a source of great encouragement to me. I highly recommend it to you all.

An excerpt from Living by God’s Promises
Beeke, J. R., & La Belle, J. A. (2010).
A subsection of chapter 5: The Right Use of God’s Promises

Here is the challenging first paragraph of the quotation in the PDF

We must believe the promises

Many of us know that the Scriptures are full of God’s promises. Many of us can quote some of those promises if called upon to do so. Yet few of us really believe them, and few of us can testify about a time when the promises sweetened our bitter afflictions, confirmed our weak and faltering faith under trial, compelled us to duty in the face of adversity, or provided us with unexplainable contentment in a time of disruption and upheaval. Few of us know the consolation of Jeremiah, who, after lamenting God’s judgment on Jerusalem, found lasting comfort in God’s covenant promise. In Lamentations 3:21–23, the prophet says: “This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.” We know God’s promises are true and are given to us, but so often we fail in the elementary step of believing what God has promised, and therefore we fail to enjoy their fruits.

Attachments

• Living by God’s Promises.pdf
    95.9 KB · Views: 9
I'm presently reading through one of Drs. Beeke and LaBelle's other books together in this series (on marriage). It is similarly excellent. Thanks for sharing this except!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back