Litigation/Civil Lawsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayJay

Puritan Board Freshman
So - I work for a law firm that does litigation and I'm just curious what people think about civil lawsuits. Are they ever permissable etc...

It just amazes and saddens me the things that people will sue others over. The attorneys I work for are almost all believers (not reformed and certainly not even close to theonomic).

Anyhow I know my question is really general, sorry....just looking for some thoughts/input. Thanks!!! :)

If there is injustice then that's what the courts are for. I see no problem with it in general. What I hate about it are the friviolous lawsuits from people who are just looking for easy money or refusing to accept responsibility for their own behavior (i.e. suing McDonalds for getting fat!)

:eek: But McDonald's DID make me fat!!!

LOL!

I agree with Patrick. We need to eliminate frivilous lawsuits so that true injustices can be dealt with in the courts in a timely fashion. Judges should exercise more prudence in allowing some of these idiotic cases from proceeding and clogging up valuable resources.

I don't think that Scripture precludes us from seeking legal redress of grievances, civil or criminal.

Just my :wr50:

Grace,
Dwayne

I am starting the :bouncy: Legal Fund.

Please send all contributions to:

Bouncy Legal Fund
c/o Puritan Board

Let's help :bouncy: get his body back!!

:biggrin:

Grace,
Dwayne

KayJay,

I was curious as to how many lawsuits do you think are between Christians and what you would think about the admonition in 1 Cor 6 about lawsuits?

Wayne,

I don't think too many of the firm's clients are believers. I mean really, there is no way for me to know - I just assume that they're unsaved because they are usually caught up in petty feuds.

Since 1 Cor. 6 usually only applies to believers suing other believers I'm not sure if there are other principles to glean from this passage without eisegeting it...

Personally - I'm curious if it is right for believing attorneys to go to litigation against other believing attorneys especially if clients on both sides are unsaved...AND - is it right for believing attorneys to take a civil lawsuit before an unsaved judge/jury??? It just seems like the whole field of litigation is called too much into question - considering how things function in our time and culture. Don't know what to think....thoughts anyone????:puzzled:

[quote:53b7930377][i:53b7930377]Originally posted by KayJay[/i:53b7930377]
Wayne,

I don't think too many of the firm's clients are believers. I mean really, there is no way for me to know - I just assume that they're unsaved because they are usually caught up in petty feuds.

Since 1 Cor. 6 usually only applies to believers suing other believers I'm not sure if there are other principles to glean from this passage without eisegeting it...

Personally - I'm curious if it is right for believing attorneys to go to litigation against other believing attorneys especially if clients on both sides are unsaved...AND - is it right for believing attorneys to take a civil lawsuit before an unsaved judge/jury??? It just seems like the whole field of litigation is called too much into question - considering how things function in our time and culture. Don't know what to think....thoughts anyone????:puzzled: [/quote:53b7930377]
The court system is an important part of our government and therefore ordained of God. God has empowered them with the job of resolving injustice and punishing wickedness. The offices held therefore are due their proper respect despite the fact that some wicked men may occupy that office. Notice Paul appealing to his judicial process in Acts. None of his judges were believers. But he still respected them and followed the rules so long as they didn't force him to compromise the gospel.

All this posting and no lawyer jokes, come on where is your humor folks :bigsmile:

What do you call 578 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good Start! :wr51:

The Cor. passage seems to relate to deal with it in the church dummys rather than take it to a secular system.

Lawyers aren't in the mix I don't think. Another issue in relation to corinthians is can a believer sue a non beleiver?

Spose it could be okay but not sure how you would witness to them at a later date.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back