Literary Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Puritan Board Senior
ESV Literary Study Bible: Official Website

*Please no quibbling about translations here.

I'm looking for some feedback on the ESV Literary Study Bible from those who own it. Have you found it useful? What are some of the distinctions you've personally noticed (not just the publisher talking) from other study bibles?

In particular, I am wondering if the notes provided also give a solid sense of context (both historical and theological) around each book of scripture, or if it just focuses on literary themes.

Michael, did you see this post from yesterday?

Use the ESV Literary Study Bible, perhaps the only study Bible in the world intended to help people read more of the actual text. All the notes are either at the beginning of the book or in shaded boxes before the section they cover. In contrast to other study Bibles, which comment on almost everything, the editors of the Literary Study Bible purposefully restrict their comments to examining the contours of the text and explaining things that will clarify the upcoming reading. Its attention to genre and literary analysis is fantastic. Then, you can just use your other study Bible if you have a question about the thickness of the wall surrounding Jericho or the distance in nautical miles between Dan and Beersheba.

I have it, I am not really into it! I really have trouble recalling last time I used it. (There is a "nutshell review") lol

I have it and like it a lot. It is NOT really a study bible, rather, it is a reading bible. It has not bottom notes, no x-refs or any of the other standard study bible aids. What is has is shaded paragraphs interspersed throughout the text which tell you what is going to follow, what genre it is and the basic overall themes. Sort of like pericope introductions. They don't distract from reading like bottom notes but enhance the reading experience. It has nice wide margins, just perfect for taking margin notes. Finally, it has some of the best book introductions I've read.

I read my bible cover to cover every year using a daily reading plan. This is the bible I use for my daily reading. Like I said, it is a reading bible. It you are looking for a traditional study bible check out the ESV study bible, but, if you are looking for a bible to use just to read the (big picture) story of God's plan for the world you may like this very much.

I don't own one. But, I know that George Grant highly recommends it. And, I know several other pastors that really like it and recommend it as well. One man told me that he likes it, '. . . because it helps the reader avoid the normal course of most people's study: breaking the Scriptures apart into little pieces rather than view the larger scope of the work at hand.'

In particular, I am wondering if the notes provided also give a solid sense of context (both historical and theological) around each book of scripture, or if it just focuses on literary themes.

I read through it with the M'Cheyne and as noted, it holds you in context. The emphasis is literary, although it does not leave out the historical and theological, the purpose is specific to reading the bible in its literary sense, which helps a great deal in contextual matters. Interestingly, the ESV Study Bible takes advantage of Lelenad Ryken as Literary Features Editor(and includes a more thorough Historical/Theological context).

If you want a good handle on the literary, this is excellent. in my opinion.

the website gives a great description here.

I agree with TommyB. I primarily use the new ESV Study Bible. But I had asked for and received the Literary Study Bible for Christmas a year before I got the Study Bible. I still find it useful in preparing for Bible studies to consult it to "add" to the notes in my Study Bible. It helps flesh out some of the notes and provides a nice glossary of literary terms and genres near the end. I got the hardback version of the Literary Study Bible and saved up my money for the ESV Study Bible. In a word, I use both.

You know....my review sounded harsh!:lol: Really people, I am not a good person to review a study Bible, I think the ONLY good SB is the ESV SB.....I tend to use a Text Bible usually my King Jimmy sometimes the ESV....then use some good commentaries. In short: the Uncle (in general) does not LIKE a "Study" .... I don't know.... I'm weird about them... go figure... I like the ESV SB....in short I can review a nice Allan or a new Cambridge and the odd Oxford....but...probably with an SB query...I am the last man to ask...a bizarre deep rooted dislike of the "STUDY BIBLE";);););)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back