Listen to Psalm Singing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful. Nothing, nothing like it. At all. May psalm-singing increase in our homes, churches and nation.

Having followed the EP debate here on the PB for some time now, no doubt THAT was the best argument I've heard yet! :lol:

Excellent! I'm not 100% sure yet, but thus far Psalm 117 v1-2, sung to Regent's Square, is my favorite so far.

While we're all enjoying this beautiful music, I thought I'd ask something I was curious about, thought somebody might know.

I've noticed that some of the songs are sung to well-known hymns:

Psalm 25 1st version v4-10 sung to Dennis
Psalm 117 v1-2 sung to Regent's Square

Dennis is the same tune as "Bless Be the Tie That Binds" and
Regent's Square is the same tune as "Angels From the Realms of Glory"

I was just wondering if there's a list somewhere that relates what the Psalm is sung to (Dennis, Regent's Square, etc.) to a corresponding hymn/song?

Does that make sense?

The only list I know of is in the Trinity Psalter which is specific to that Psalter.
The Scottish Psalter music edition just recommends tunes for each psalm. Sing Psalms does the same but uses more hymn tunes. Eg. the alternate tune to Ps 117 is Westminster Abbey (Christ is made the sure foundation, Trinity Hymnal #343) You would really have to compare the meter in the psalm book with the meters listed in the hymnal and try to match that way.
Many, many hymn/psalm tunes can be found at the cyberhymnal website so you could search for all the hymns that are sung to a particular tune.

Being raised Baptist I had always wondered why someone had not put the Psalms to music. Oh how little did I know. :sing:

I like the fact that the RPCNA has recently updated their psalter. It's a more modern and updated version of the previous psalter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back