List of Reformed Seminaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim Standard

Puritan Board Sophomore
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Reformed Seminaries and the Denominations they support?
I have not seen any on the board.

Could we compile one easily? I don't even know how many there are.

edit below to begin Compilation
I began a list for North America.
Additions/Subtractions/Corrections are very welcome:
Seminary (Location) Denominational Affiliations / Support or serving
Calvin Theological Seminary (Grand Rapids, Michigan)CRC
Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary(Hamilton, Ontario)Canadian Reformed Churches
City Seminary of Sacramento (Sacramento, California) Reformed Church in the United States & PCA
Covenant Theological Seminary (St. Louis)PCA
Erskine Theological Seminary ( Due West, South Carolina)ARPC
Faith Theological Seminary ( Baltimore, Maryland)?
Geneva Reformed Seminary ( Greenville, South Carolina)Free Presbyterian Church of North America
Knox Theological Seminary ( Ft. Lauderdale, Florida)?
Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary ( Grand Rapids, Michigan)Heritage Reformed Congregations & Free Reformed Churches of North America
Mid-America Reformed Seminary (Dyer, Indiana)serves the URCNA, OPC, PCA, and RCUS
New Brunswick Theological Seminary ( New Brunswick, New Jersey)RCA
Northwest Theological Seminary (Lynnwood, Washington)?
Redeemer Seminary ( Dallas, Texas)close connection with the PCA and OPC
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary (Point Breeze, Pennsylvania)RPCNA
Reformed Theological Seminary( Jackson, Mississippi)(non-denominational, evangelical Protestant) Serves PCA
Westminster Seminary California (Escondido, California)serves (eucates) ARPC, CanRC, ERQ, FRCNA, HRC, KAPC, OPC, PCA, PresRC, RCUS, RPCNA, URCNA
Westminster Theological Seminary ( Glenside, Pennsylvania)Serves OPC
Whitefield Theological Seminary (Lakeland, Florida)
Christ Theological Seminary (Buford, Georgia)Official Seminary of the RPCUS
The North American Reformed Seminary?
Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary (Greenvile, S. Carolina)?
Protestant Reformed Seminary (Grandville, Michigan)?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Reformed Seminaries and the Denominations they support?

Here is a start (I am sure I missed some smaller ones):

Calvin Theological Seminary (Michigan)
Canadian Reformed Theological Seminary (Hamilton, Ontario)
City Seminary (California)
Covenant Theological Seminary (Missouri)
Erskine Theological Seminary (South Carolina)
Knox Theological Seminary (Florida)
Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary (Michigan)
Miami International Theological Seminary (Florida)
Mid-America Reformed Seminary (Indiana)
New Geneva Theological Seminary (Colorado; Virginia)
Northwest Theological Seminary (Washington)
Redeemer Theological Seminary (Texas)
Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary (Pennsylvania)
Reformed Theological Seminary (Various)
Westminster Seminary California (California)
Westminster Theological Seminary (Pennsylvania)

Most of these are non/multi-denominational and serve a variety of denominations.

For what it's worth, this also does not include the myriad of PCUSA schools (Princeton, Pittsburgh, et.al.), or Reformed Baptist schools.

List of Calvinist educational institutions in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got as far as Columbia before I flinched. It hasn't been Reformed in decades. The milk was pretty much soured there 50 years ago.

Some other really bad options on that list, as well.

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary is also a good one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Benjamin, what is your goal here? Are you looking for yourself/someone else, or are you wishing to compile the most comprehensive list as a service for others? Help us help you.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Perhaps you are just curious?

Are you looking only for confessionally reformed seminaries? There are several universities that have varying degrees of reformed presence or that would at least allow you to get a solid reformed education with careful selection. For example, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is officially only loosely Calvinist with their statements of faith, but it is a go to choice for some Reformed Baptists. Gordon-Conwell and Trinity Evangelical also have some reformed presence. Then on the other hand, seminaries like Calvin Theological Seminary are in a denomination that is quickly going liberal, even if they are still confessional. But I would prefer to go to somewhere like Gordon-Conwell to Calvin.

Benjamin, what is your goal here? Are you looking for yourself/someone else, or are you wishing to compile the most comprehensive list as a service for others? Help us help you.
Is there a listing anywhere of Confessionally sound, reformed seminaries and the denominations that support them?
This may help those of us not on the "up and Up" with the various seminaries spoken of in reformed circles. It may aid others who are seeking out a good seminary. I for one would like to know what it means when someone has gone through seminary @ xyz.
I mean... who goes to Miami International Theological Seminary? Do any particular reformed denominations support them? Do any draw from this seminary as a primary source of new ministers? Do they hold to the Westminster Standards or the 3 Forms of Unity? Since Mark took the time to begin the list, at least now I could look them up and find out more about them. But I don't know them from Adam, and for all I know they could be a great Reformed Seminary, or they could have gone off the deep end Princeton style long ago.

I suppose I have multiple reasons. It would be nice to take a distance course to better oneself. I would like to be a bit more knowledgeable about the Seminaries that are training up Reformed Ministers. Does anyone disagree that is valuable knowledge? Is anyone else interested in this? Perhaps it is something I should work on my own at creating?

At one point I started working on a list of cities where one could get at least a broadly reformed education. I'll see if I can find my notes.

There are also on-line, non-accredited programs to consider.

Whitefield Theological Seminary - Home -- Whitefield Theological Seminary is generally highly regarded. For example, R. C. Sproul got his Ph.D from there.

| The North American Reformed Seminary -- Is a newer effort to provide a free seminary education on-line. There are several members here who are involved with it.

RC Sproul, Jr. Is Whitefield highly regarded? I really don't know, but would be interested in hearing.

Whitefield Theological Seminary - Home -- Whitefield Theological Seminary is generally highly regarded. For example, R. C. Sproul got his Ph.D from there.

| The North American Reformed Seminary -- Is a newer effort to provide a free seminary education on-line. There are several members here who are involved with it.

RC Sproul, Jr. Is Whitefield highly regarded? I really don't know, but would be interested in hearing.

RC Sproul, Jr. got his D.Min from there. I meant the senior we all know and love. From what I have gathered, Whitefield is relatively high regarded for a non-accredited online program. I was trying to do some research about it, but perhaps some can chime in here with how their degree has been perceived. The board founder, C. Matthew MacMahon is a graduate and involved with the seminary, for example.

RC Sproul, Jr. got his D.Min from there. I meant the senior we all know and love. From what I have gathered, Whitefield is relatively high regarded for a non-accredited online program. I was trying to do some research about it, but perhaps some can chime in here with how their degree has been perceived. The board founder, C. Matthew MacMahon is a graduate and involved with the seminary, for example.
Thanks.

R. C. Sproul senior got his PhD from the Free University of Amsterdam. According to his bio on Ligonier, he does not hold a degree from Whitefield.

R. C. Sproul senior got his PhD from the Free University of Amsterdam. According to his bio on Ligonier, he does not hold a degree from Whitefield.

That is interesting. I wonder if he no longer claims the degree from Whitefield. However, I have not heard that he got his PhD from the Free University of Amsterdam, nor does it say that on his Ligonier biography (he got a Drs).

I have attached his biography page in my May 2007 printing of What is Reformed Theology? that shows this.

I did find this section interesting concerning Whitefield. I am not sure what this entails, but it is interesting that they are not completely aloof.

Whitefield Theological Seminary is registered with the Florida Commission of
Independent Education. This Commission is a division of the Florida Department of
Education. Whitefield is authorized to grant degrees in areas related to religion and
ecclesiastical vocations. Whitefield has been operating in the State of Florida for the
past 30 years and is accountable to various state laws that regulate postsecondary
education and its practices.

Whitefield Theological Seminary is also a member of the Association of Christian Schools
International.

My understanding is that Whitefield credits are transferrable to many (if not all) other Reformed seminaries. That counts for something. TNARS, on the other hand, is more hit and miss. My impression (second- or third-hand information) so I stand to be corrected.

As a student of Calvin Seminary (and very conservative) I would caution my brothers and sisters of making blanket judgements about how liberal CTS really is. While the CRC indeed has back-slidden the seminary is filled with voices desiring to bring the denomination, college, and the seminary back from the effects liberalism has had.

Going from some historical memory, Birmingham had ties to Briarwood PCA, Knox had ties to Coral Ridge PCA, New Geneva had ties to Village Seven PCA, and Redeemer has ties to Park Cities PCA. And if you want to go much further back, Reformed had its roots at First (then PCUS, now PCA) in Jackson.

Mid-America serves the URCNA, OPC, PCA, and RCUS (the first two representing the largest groups). We have historically served a number of CRC and even RCA men (graduating several within the last few years). We've had others in Reformed independency as well as one RPCNA man. There are others here and there (Free Reformed, Canadian Reformed, independent, etc.) who have come and gone into the URCNA.

Our constituency is probably the most like Westminster Seminary California: they serve URCNA, OPC, PCA, and others as well. I say this because I notice that there is a question mark beside WSC in the OP as there is for Mid-America. WTS has OPC beside it, but WTS is much broader and serves a wide range of churches, particularly PCA and Korean.

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back