Linguistic Superiority between Geneva and KJV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably not the one to answer the question on a technical basis, but I am quickly falling in love with my newly-purchased 1599 Geneva. Since it retains the structure of the Geneva but updates spelling, I find it a beautiful read.

Now, on to those who are actually qualified to give answer rather than opinion...:scholar:

One thing I noticed about the Geneva Bible is that there are commas where I really didn't expect them to be. This has the practical effect--at least for me--of pausing my breath or making a mental stop, if for only a split-second, where I see a comma. In other words, I stop mid-sentence while the train of thought is still running. It did get distracting at times. My version of the AV doesn't do this and on that point it is easier to read.

Well there's the word "Easter" in the KJV in Acts 12:4. The Geneva translates it as Passover.

Plus the "breeches" in Genesis. On those two points, I'd go with the Geneva. ;)

Otherwise, I think they are both good reads.

I have seen it asserted that the KJV employs a more "elevated" style.

I can't even find my KJV since my recent move so I guess I'll have to buy a new one if it doesn't turn up soon.

I can't even find my KJV since my recent move so I guess I'll have to buy a new one if it doesn't turn up soon.

RE buying: Cheaper is sometimes better. I picked up a good, utility hardback at BaM for 15 dollars.

RE buying: Cheaper is sometimes better. I picked up a good, utility hardback at BaM for 15 dollars.

They have a paperback for about $5 on the clearance table too. However, if I have to buy another one, I'm thinking I may break down for a Thompson Chain Reference since I don't have one.

Well there's the word "Easter" in the KJV in Acts 12:4. The Geneva translates it as Passover.

Plus the "breeches" in Genesis. On those two points, I'd go with the Geneva. ;)

Otherwise, I think they are both good reads.

It's lonely for us, isn't it?

One thing I noticed about the Geneva Bible is that there are commas where I really didn't expect them to be. This has the practical effect--at least for me--of pausing my breath or making a mental stop, if for only a split-second, where I see a comma. In other words, I stop mid-sentence while the train of thought is still running. It did get distracting at times. My version of the AV doesn't do this and on that point it is easier to read.

Commas, really? Apart from the issue, raised by some, of TR vs. CT, I still think, some words, only a few, perhaps, should be updated, for the sake, of readability.

Family Edition, 400th Anniversary, 1599 Geneva - all the way!

(This is an uneducated opinion and not a scholarly comment in any way, shape or form.)

Well Rich, Paul did have the authorized version (i.e., he wrote part of it, and had the authorized writings of the other NT writers -- those that were written and available to him at that time); but it wasn't in English yet! No uppercase A and V! I suppose the real question is, was his authorized version equivalent to our Authorized Version?

About “breeches” in Exodus, Leviticus, and Ezekiel (not Genesis): what’s a better word? Drawers? Britches? Loin cloth? Breech cloth? It’s a Biblical word – a technical word – for what the priests wore under their garments.

About Easter being an error in Acts 12:4:

I post links to some interesting articles on this. First, Will Kinney’s, which I consider the best. Then Jack Moorman’s, which although good, is based on what I believe to be faulty research by Alexander Hislop in The Two Babylons. Sir James G. Frazer, in his, The Golden Bough, does confirm Moorman’s excerpted passages re the myths/religions involving Tammuz and Ishtar (Astarte), but I do not think there is any substance to the allegation Herod was into their worship. Kinney addresses this. (Ezekiel 8:14 does show there were some in Jerusalem who worshipped Tammuz, but this is not relevant to the matter at hand.) Pastor Moorman is almost always spot on, and this is a rare exception. Then there is a link to an article (in PDF) from The Christian Research Journal of 2000 which scrutinizes the work of Hislop, and finds it wanting. This is a significant article as many Christians use Hislop’s work as though it were reliable, and it is not.

Kinney: http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/Easter.html

This is from Jack Moorman’s book, Conies, Brass & Easter

The excellent critical review of The Two Babylons: http://www.equip.org/atf/cf/{9C4EE03A-F988-4091-84BD-F8E70A3B0215}/DC187.pdf

I think Kinney ably defends the use of Easter in Acts 12:4, for those interested in this.

Incidentally, I don't have a hard copy of the Geneva, and would like to get one, it being a highly significant version.

It is surprising that so many on PB admit to using ANYthing other than the Greek (whether TR, CT, or MT).

KJV may edge out the Geneva on literary grounds, but wow were those notes in the Geneva great.

I have always used the Bible that God has blessed for almost four hundred years. I do like the Geneva though as it lines up with the same corrupt manuscripts of the King James translaters and Reformers neither was a pen knife used but now that the oldest and best manuscripts have been discovered we are going to new limits.

The Geneva is not as majestic and I question John 1:3
All things were made by it, and without it nothing was made that was made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back