Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Puritan Board Senior
Did anybody see Lincoln? I thought it was incredibly well done. Daniel Day Lewis did an incredible job of bringing the character to life and he deserves an Academy Award. Mary Todd Lincoln and Thaddeus Stevens were quite well done too. Any thoughts from those who have seen it?

Amen to that sentiment. Honestly can't stand the Lincoln myth or anything that supports it.

I thought the acting was good and the film held my interest. It suffered, though, from a bit of self-importance and from hero worship of noble men who stand for equality.

There are many things I like about Lincoln. But hero worship seldom makes for a superior film, no matter how rightly heroic a character may be. I don't know what else they might have done with it, given how much Lincoln and the abolitionist cause are revered in this nation (for many good reasons!). Perhaps it was doomed to some measure of sappiness from the start.

I thought the acting was good and the film held my interest. It suffered, though, from a bit of self-importance and from hero worship of noble men who stand for equality.

I like Lincoln, too. But hero worship seldom makes for a superior film, no matter how rightly heroic a character may be. I don't know what else they might have done with it, given how much Lincoln and the abolitionist cause are revered in this nation (for many good reasons!). Perhaps it was doomed to some measure of sappiness from the start.

Well with the terrible opening scene with everyone quoting the Gettysburg address it certainly had a historically inaccurate amount of sappiness at the very beginning. One of the better parts of Lewis' acting was that I thought he did bring out some of the character flaws of Lincoln.

As a student of history I have considerable admiration for Lincoln. I'll probably wait for the movie to come out on pay-per-view, however.

Forgive me, brother, if my post came off as accusatory. I was meant to be nothing more than, "I take it you are stating your disapproval," not that you were directing any sinful feelings toward the former President.

There are many things I like about Lincoln...

I was never much of a fan, until I learned about what he really did...Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

In all seriousness, I generally have a positive outlook on the former President. I even have one of his quotes framed and hanging on the wall... This might be due to my lack of historical knowledge, I suppose. Regardless, while I have not seen the movie yet, I probably will due to this thread.

Lincoln was a complex man and we can differ on him as we can other historical figures. I find the Weaver comment offensive, however, and am heartened by what I take as Joshua's rejection of Weaver.

Lincoln was a complex man and we can differ on him as we can other historical figures. I find the Weaver comment offensive, however, and am heartened by what I take as Joshua's rejection of Weaver.

What is offensive about it?

Last edited:
I found Ross Douthat's review of "Lincoln" in National Review, critical yet appreciative, expressive of my own sentiments toward the film. Mr. Day-Lewis was quite good as were other members of the ensemble. Lincoln is a controverted figure, as I noted above, and the scholarship on him ranges widely. It is to be expected that any interpretation of him, and that's what they all are, including the most carefully researched and documented historical accounts, will engender controversy. I found the interpretation in this film strained at times, though in some measure credible. I would not recommend it to one who knows little of Lincoln and who looks to the film, as people in our time sadly do, as the primary means of learning about Lincoln, the War, and all the issues thereunto appertaining.

Peace,
Alan

Not sure if anyone else has read it, but currently my husband and I are reading "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas DiLorenzo, and it is excellent, intriguing, and isn't your typical Lincoln book. I haven't seen the movie though... not sure my husband would want to!-Red Dawn was more his taste. (;

Last edited:
"The Real Lincoln,' is a good book and a good primer for anyone looking into the truth on AL.

Not sure if anyone else has read it, but currently my husband and I are reading "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas DiLorenzo, and it is excellent, intriguing, and isn't your typical Lincoln book. I haven't seen the movie though... not sure my husband would want to!-Red Dawn was more his taste. (;

"The Real Lincoln,' is a good book and a good primer for anyone looking into the truth on AL.

Just a reminder to stick to discussion of the movie in question, not President Lincoln himself. :judge:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back