Lifelong Presbyterian is now Baptist

Status
Not open for further replies.

:ditto::ditto: :bueller:

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

**Moderating**
Responding to several suggestions for closing the thread: No, not at this time.

Personally, I haven't seen anything (starting with the OP) that would move me to add input the thread.
And if the Reformation Monk indulges the replies or queries with more extensive answers, rather than ignoring them, then he's changed his own stated purpose for beginning the thread. It is posted in the "Baptism" forum... Don't engage if you can't be patient and civil, especially when dealing with a fellow member who is congealing his theology, really for the first time.

Everyone, behave yourselves.

Fair enough. This is why I am not a moderator...yet. I am planning a mutiny! Not really.

All us Baptist will one day pull a mutiny anyways. It is in our blood :D

Very good point! I get so used to thinking of Presbyterian in terms of RPCGA, PCA, OPC, etc...NOT PCUSA

And I think even today the PCUSA still has more churches and members than all other Presbyterian churches put together. However that's not likely to be the case in a generation or two.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

**Moderating**
Responding to several suggestions for closing the thread: No, not at this time.

Personally, I haven't seen anything (starting with the OP) that would move me to add input the thread.
And if the Reformation Monk indulges the replies or queries with more extensive answers, rather than ignoring them, then he's changed his own stated purpose for beginning the thread. It is posted in the "Baptism" forum... Don't engage if you can't be patient and civil, especially when dealing with a fellow member who is congealing his theology, really for the first time.

Everyone, behave yourselves.

Good points all the way around, brother.

very true concerning PCUSA. Very shaky in areas as I have come to know from being around them a little in the past 2 years. Hopefully the Lord will awaken those who may be his in PCUSA to His glory and HIS message

I should like to point out that to be accurate, our new Baptist is not rejecting Presbyterianism but Covenant (paedobaptist) Baptism. Congregationalists (yours truly), Swiss/German/Dutch/Hungarian Reformed and Reformed Anglicans all share with Presbyterians a commitment to Covenant Baptism teaching.

Thee are other paedobaptists on this forum besides Presbyterians.

I genuinely regret hearing this decision. I think more important is this: I hear you saying that Pres folk focus on the efficacy of the sacraments over the Gospel. I would encourage you to watch what you're saying, to wit, "it has just been my observation that Baptists tend to have a little more focus on the efficacy of the "pronouncement of the gospel" or the "gospel call". Presbyterians seem to put a little more focus on the efficacy of the Church and Sacraments...." Of course, just before that you say, "Presbyterians tend to be a little more expository, but over all no less gospel centered." I appreciate the latter, but I see it as in conflict with the first quote. We Pres love Christ and his Word and say without a doubt that neither sacraments nor the Church are the foundation of our faith or the center of the message we preach. We love the Gospel above all else, no matter how big a shame it would be to not preach the whole counsel of God, to wit WCF "The Church, IV. ...particular Churches, which are members thereof, are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the Gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them." The emphasis would be, if all else failed, that the Gospel is foremost. WCF "Baptism. V. Although it is a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance, yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably annexed unto it, as that no person can be regenerated, or saved, without it: or, that all that are baptized are undoubtedly regenerated." At any rate, you are apologizing for negativity but then simultaneously saying that the Gospel call isn't emphasized as well in the Pres church as in the Baptist. Who wouldn't bristle at that? Wouldn't you if someone slighted Baptist emphasis of the Gospel? I certainly wouldn't say that about the Baptists what you say about the Pres. and I would hope that no other Pres on here would. Some of the most powerful Gospel preachers of all times are Baptist and all Christians, Pres included (maybe Pres especially!), would do well to examine their ministries and follow those big footprints left by these Christian giants.

Last edited:
I genuinely regret hearing this decision. I think more important is this: I hear you saying that Pres folk focus on the efficacy of the sacraments over the Gospel. I would encourage you to watch what you're saying, to wit, "it has just been my observation that Baptists tend to have a little more focus on the efficacy of the "pronouncement of the gospel" or the "gospel call". Presbyterians seem to put a little more focus on the efficacy of the Church and Sacraments...." Of course, just before that you say, "Presbyterians tend to be a little more expository, but over all no less gospel centered." I appreciate the latter, but I see it as in conflict with the first quote. We Pres love Christ and his Word and say without a doubt that neither sacraments nor the Church are the foundation of our faith or the center of the message we preach. We love the Gospel above all else, no matter how big a shame it would be to not preach the whole counsel of God, to wit WCF "The Church, IV. ...particular Churches, which are members thereof, are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the Gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them." The emphasis would be, if all else failed, that the Gospel is foremost. WCF "Baptism. V. Although it is a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance, yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably annexed unto it, as that no person can be regenerated, or saved, without it: or, that all that are baptized are undoubtedly regenerated." At any rate, you are apologizing for negativity but then simultaneously saying that the Gospel call isn't emphasized as well in the Pres church as in the Baptist. Who wouldn't bristle at that? Wouldn't you if someone slighted Baptist emphasis of the Gospel? I certainly wouldn't say the about the Baptists what you say about the Pres. and I would hope that no other Pres on here would. Some of the most powerful Gospel preachers of all times are Baptist and all Christians, Pres included (maybe Pres especially!), would do well to examine their ministries and follow those big footprints left by these Christian giants.

I think his reaction may be against the liturgical aspects of Presbyterianism and not their theology. I may be wrong but I don't think he meant any offense in his statements.

This is one of those threads one wants to reply to with some words of encouragement but fears to in case the same is misinterpreted as gloating!

No need to gloat. For me it went the other direction. Lifelong baptist, now a paedo.

Blessings!

Just my 2 cents, let us not forget that whether we are Southern or Reformed Baptists or Presbyterians does not matter. Yes, they both have their strong points. Even as a Baptists, their are many times we as a denomination miss what is right. But for those of us who are truly Christ Followers, we have one thing in common and that is Jesus. I watch Presbyterian Sandy Willson of 2nd Presbyterian in Memphis and love what he has to say. I do not believe that either side has heretical issues. Paedo and Credo baptism does not save a person anyway I have come to realize. What matters is if we have truly been born-agian as in John 3 with Nicodemus. I think our friend needs to be able to go where God leads him. He is still a brother is Christ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back