Library of pre-1900 material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'GodHowGreatThouArt

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hey guys.

I'm a bit sketchy about materials in a library that don't have the stamp of approval of time (say....100 years of checking, crosschecking, criticism, etc.). It may sound crazy, but I am just not a fan of potentially having materials in my bible library that may of not had too much time being checked for accuracy in comparison with scripture.

That's not to say everything since 1900 is valueless...I just don't think they've had enough time under the microscope to fall under the classification that we see the puritans listed under. Considering where I'm at on my Christian walk, it's one of those cases where you'd rather read material that's been blasted with criticism for nearly 5-6 centuries and still be standing strong, rather than material that's only been out for five years or so.

Which brings me to my question. Is it practical to have a decent, comprehensive library that fits under these ideals? If so, would there be any recommendations to make for development of a "wish list"?

I'm not sure I would ride off everything published in the 20th century, but I appreciate your desires. One can't help but think of Sinclair Ferguson and John Piper as notable examples of good stuff from the 20th century, not to mention others. Time tests most things and old books give clarity for our day, but I would encourage the reading of some modern books (1 new for every 2 old, C.S. Lewis says). For a library of the kind you're looking for, I recommend the Puritan standards:
Works of John Owen
Works of Richard Sibbes
Works of John Flavel

If you've got the money to get'm, those will set you straight. You might as well check out Banner of Truth while you're at it.

Geerhardus Vos was beginning to publish right around your cut-off date.

You are wise not to want the latest and most discussed; however, as the church is challenged (as she was so clearly in the 1900s), those working in the theological disciplines refine the thinking that came before them. Following your principle, I wouldn't go out and get much addressing federal vision right now, but in 40 or 50 years we are likely to look back and find excellent scholarship addressing these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back