Lexicon- The Most Irritating Business, Work & Even Christianeeze Jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads like these remind me I don't get out much. In my world, "doing life" is a very negative consequence of criminal activity.

Thank you for pointing that out. You've turned a phrase that bugs me into something I can get a chuckle out of going forward.

"I'm a people person." I hear this frequently when interviewing prospective employees. It really "pushes my buttons" (which is another phrase that I dislike). :banghead:

"I'm a people person." I hear this frequently when interviewing prospective employees. It really "pushes my buttons" (which is another phrase that I dislike). :banghead:

One of the worst employees I ever had insisted he was a "people person." That experience rendered the phrase altogether meaningless in my world. :banghead: is exactly right.

In no particular order, things that bug me:

He/she is broken - no they're sinners.

What's your story?

Yeah...No
or No...Yeah - lexically this is odd and I admit to doing this. Some have pointed out that English used to have the word Nay for this purpose.
Look, ... Look...does every pundit on TV go to some sort of grooming school where they have to start their opinion with "Look..." to give them some sort of authority.

So... I remember just sitting back at a military conference where the participants started every sentence with So... in order to make a point.

Hear me now... Anne Graham Lotts has a particularly annoying habit of making points like this when she's teaching. I think she learned it from her father.

And last but certainly not least - the thing that annoys me most is not even a lexical form but the manner it appears all millenials have started talking who come out of university. Even when they're speaking with some authority, they complete their sentences with sort of a lilting question mark tone to it.

So...we should really be investing more in the lives of the youth of this country?
Look...we need to be involved in more social justice?
No...yeah...I totally agree with you.

Look, ... Look...does every pundit on TV go to some sort of grooming school where they have to start their opinion with "Look..." to give them some sort of authority.
Reminded me of the political correspondent on NBC. Everytime he is introduced by Lester Holt, I say or think, here comes Chuck "Look" Todd. ;)

I don't recall hearing "all y'all" except as a form of crowd control: imagine the speaker motioning with his hands over his head. I've heard y'all in the singular used in respect or for cases of uncertainty: "How many of y'all are coming?" Much to my chagrin, I confess to hearing and using the possessive, but have no idea how to spell it: y'all's? Or even worse: "y'allses' "

I don't recall hearing "all y'all" except as a form of crowd control

Maybe it's a micro-locality regional thing, but my cousin from South Texas says "y'all" when addressing a single person, but uses "you-all" (accent on "you") as a plural object or subject.

One of the worst employees I ever had insisted he was a "people person." That experience rendered the phrase altogether meaningless in my world. :banghead: is exactly right.

When interviewing persons I always follow the "people person" answer to with "what do you mean by that?" Few people can translate that throw away phrase into behaviors that will get results. I've even seen it on countless resumes that have few results in their experience history.

Poor soul probably thinks you can barbecue beef too :) Duck, run ..... hee, hee

Sorry...I'm tired today and don't have the bandwidth to understand the Southern second person plural pronoun. Maybe I'll circle back to it after a refreshing Lord's Day.

"Shoot me a text/email" in order to get someone out of your face.

"Cut it out" or "knock it off" to get someone to stop doing something.

"Shoot me a text/email" in order to get someone out of your face.

I actually appreciate that more than 'I'll get back to you' and they don't write anything down. At least if I 'shoot' them and email it will provide a trigger. As a big fan of GTD I know if I do not capture what comes at me that there is a large chance I'll have to be reminded by someone else.

"I'll be honest with you..."

This phrase always raises my hackles in the context of business relationships. What? You've been lying to me all this time?

It is not as annoying when it is personal acquaintances who use it as a figure of speech; I know them -- I know what they mean. But someone should tell professionals not to say this, especially if they are trying to sell me a service or a product!

"Let me be clear." Translation: "Let me obfuscate a little bit more."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@SRoper , I thought I was a pretty big Weird Al fan but I hadn't heard this great one. Thanks. The comments are hilarious. 'That is basically 95% of LinkedIn' and 'I offended someone by stating that 'learnings' is not a word.' Incidentally, someone where I worked used 'learnings' a while back. I just chalked it up to street slang like 'for reals' or 'fo-sho.'

@kodos , I think that 'I'll be honest with you' and all of its siblings; 'to be perfectly frank', 'I'm going to level with you' and 'in all sincerity' have a place in conversation AFTER someone has pushed back for saying something difficult to him. For example, "I meant this in all sincerity because you asked me to level with you. We can now talk about what we are going to do now." However when such phrases are used to preface they sound sleazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back