Lexicon- The Most Irritating Business, Work & Even Christianeeze Jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Puritan Board Professor
You can google and find articles about this topic (yes I've done it... a bit neurotic I suppose). My wife and I have had several fun conversations about this. I thought it would fun, interesting and therapeutic for PBers to chime in. This subject has at least a loose connection to our faith as we are to speak the truth. I think some of these sayings, whether people intend it or not, can be passive-aggressive or worse. If this belongs in another forum I defer to the mods.

The first one to come to mind is:

"Reach Out" ie. "Please reach out if you have any questions about my marketing presentation."

I'm old enough to remember the AT&T ads from thirty years ago and that's not what I'm talking about.

I am talking about how 'reach out' has become so ubiquitous in the corporate world the past ten years most don't realize how ridiculous and even pompous it comes across. Is someone who pitched a proposal to his own company's ad team so important that folks are 'reaching out' to contact him? Is it that difficult to 'reach' him? Don't be surprised if the guy in the next cubicle asks you 'reach out' to him if you need to borrow a stapler when you can't find yours.

Please save 'reach out' when you need to call the POTUS or a governor save you from the chair. Saying you're 'reaching out' is also appropriate when asking your long lost first cousin for a liver transplant.

"I know, right?" ie. "It is hot in here Jane. I wish they'd turn up the AC." Jane replies, "I know, right?"

This cheese-grater-across-the-knuckles phrase probably peaked in 2014/15. It still comes up in IMs/SMS more than vocally now. Down but not out. If I make an assertion, suggestion, or declaration first then assume I think it is 'right.' Please just say that you agree.

"Leverage _______" ie. "Leverage the promotion to make the sale."

Inflated corporate gab if there was any. Unless you are freeing stuck lug bolts or buying a company you cannot afford leave leveraging to the levers. Otherwise you risk sinister connotations like extortion, theft, blackmail or even worse.

"Faith Journey"
ie. "That's just not where I am in my faith journey."

Where is he then? Chances are he can't tell you. I hate this one and find it creepy. Maybe the phrase doesn't merit hatred. I read or hear it and I think of guy in a coffee shop trying to get somewhere with a girl he shouldn't. It smacks of faux-spirituality. Is there a solid Reformed author that has ever employed this phrase?

Those are a few. I hope others drop in. Maybe I post some more.

"Walk Back" as in "In light of recent news we need to walk back out previous claims...." In order to avoid saying we were lying or blowing things out of proportion the media often says they need to "walk back" previous assumptions or claims...

Example - Chuck Schumer: 'Mark my words,' Trump will walk back immigration talk.

The use of "and stuff" or "you know" in normal conversation: "You know, I've been busy, and stuff."

The use of "like" or "just" as filler words in normal conversation: "I like, just, don't know."

The use of "like" or "just + "and stuff" or "you know" in conversation: "I've, like, just been busy and stuff, you know?"

The use of "Father," "God," "Lord," "Jesus," "Holy Spirit," "Lord God," or a combination of these, as filler words in prayer: "Father God, we come to you today, Lord, and God, we ask that you'd send your Holy Spirit among us today, Lord Jesus."

The use of "like" or "just" + the Divine name as filler in prayer: "Father God, we just need you, Lord, like, so much, God. Just, God, send your Holy Spirit with, like, power."

The use of texting language. Period.

:lol:

Last edited:
>"Pop of color."
>"Let's unpack this ..." (Usually said in front of a white board.)
> The oh, wow blog style. Used for every. Single. Post. (That might have sounded freshly enthusiastic. Five. Years. Ago! But really, we're friends here. Right?)

Using "no problem" as a response to "thank you" instead of something like "you're welcome." (Yes, I know this phrase is more similar to polite forms in other languages, like "de nada" in Spanish, but it still seems rude to me in English).

Things that become ubiquitous such as, in the political realm,"at the end of the day." In Christian broadcasting "come alongside."

"Business, Work & Even Christianeeze Jargon" - You need to right size that phrase by leaving one free to pursue new opportunities, and leverage the synergies of the remaining two. After all, you are seeking transformational change through value added subtraction, aren't you? Let's not just stick to our core competencies in reaching for deliverables.

Here's one that is a bit older but you still hear it. Solution

In about the year 2000, everything was a 'solution.' IT was the usual context for the word but it had spread everywhere. I walked into a Office Depot back then to buy a three ring binder. I told the clerk I needed a legal sized binder. He grabbed one and said it should 'prove to be a good solution' for me. I suppose it was as it held paper like the best of them!

"Business, Work & Even Christianeeze Jargon" - You need to right size that phrase by leaving one free to pursue new opportunities, and leverage the synergies of the remaining two. After all, you are seeking transformational change through value added subtraction, aren't you? Let's not just stick to our core competencies in reaching for deliverables.

You just summarized basically every book on pastoral leadership sold at Lifeway or CBD...oy vay.

Here's one that is a bit older but you still hear it. Solution

In about the year 2000, everything was a 'solution.' IT was the usual context for the word but it had spread everywhere. I walked into a Office Depot back then to buy a three ring binder. I told the clerk I needed a legal sized binder. He grabbed one and said it should 'prove to be a good solution' for me. I suppose it was as it held paper like the best of them!

Oh........yes. Solutions are alive and well. It doesn't help that I work for Motorola Solutions. We've got a solution for every communication problem!

Solution was, like, going to be my offering to this thread. Well done, Zack!

Here is another that I confessed to having used before but feel slimy after. I don't disagree. So that means you agree then?

I find, "you're good" slightly less vexing than, "no problem." The first is usually given in a context where you might have truly bothered someone. "No problem" from someone doing his job always sounded a bit weird.

You just summarized basically every book on pastoral leadership sold at Lifeway or CBD...oy vay.

You interested in hiring me to implement a church growth program? Just remember that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but the best publicity is free. Expect negative feedback from folks that are afraid of change. But that just generates more free publicity.

One that is starting to grate on me now is space used as a way to refer to a market, industry, or academic discipline.

One that is starting to grate on me now is space used as a way to refer to a market, industry, or academic discipline.

Is it related to telling someone you don't have the bandwidth to to help them on a project?

No, that translates to "The boss just made an idiot decision, but I have to great a sense of self preservation to publicly point that out."

Of course. It would probably be best to ping him later about it.

You interested in hiring me to implement a church growth program? Just remember that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but the best publicity is free. Expect negative feedback from folks that are afraid of change. But that just generates more free publicity.

Ha ha!

I hate it when someone says, "I trust that you will..." I worked on a mission team with a leader who always said stuff like, "I trust that you'll make this a matter of prayer." Instead of just asking, "Can you pray about this..." or "Please make this a matter of prayer."

And 30 lashes for anyone who says "synergy"

Oh, and if anyone speaks of "bringing it to the table" it better be a plate of hot wings.

I heard someone say, "This idea has legs" once... I responded, "Does it also have a butt, because it stinks." They didn't laugh, though.

"Circle back". Which is just another way of saying "we will ignore this issue for an undetermined amount of time until it manifests again, at which time we will have another pointless conversation about it until we conclude it will be best to 'circle back' to it".

"Ministry of presence". I've heard it used multiple times in the past few months.

"One anothering". Which, for some reason, sounds just as creepy to me as "loving on someone".

What about "y'all" when addressing one person?

And why do Brits use "brilliant" as a substitute for every other positive adjective in the English language?

People should study to imitate the proper English found in Southern California. It's hip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hate it when someone says, "I trust that you will..." I worked on a mission team with a leader who always said stuff like, "I trust that you'll make this a matter of prayer." Instead of just asking, "Can you pray about this..." or "Please make this a matter of prayer."

That's beyond corny into passive-aggressive language. It is as if his 'trust' in you is strong enough to carry the will of a weaker person like you. LOL

This isn't silly saying but it reminds me of a person who wants to unload state secrets about poising a well on you and after having done so says, 'please keep this between us.' If you are the first person he told he feels free to tell everyone else and can blame you when it get's out.

Last edited:
And 30 lashes for anyone who says "synergy"

Maybe this is special pleading but I like 'synergy' as an end result but not the means. I've heard it used with other vague, near meaningless phrases. For example save me from the guy who says, 'Let's harness these synergies in order to take it to the next level.' What level is that sir?

This one bothers me for some reason: DOING life as opposed to living life.

"I love DOING life with this woman!"
"Wouldn't want to DO life with anyone else!"

I get the point behind it, but it still irritates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back