Less well-known women of the Reformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
This article (The (Less Well-Known) Women of the Reformation) was such an encouragement and a very engaging read -- I especially loved the courageous refusal of some of these women to let other people make the most vital decisions (about what Scripture says, and how they would act in obeying it) for them. I thought some of the other women here might enjoy it too. (It was written by Bookish Basset!)

I was noticing the other day in the last chapter of Romans how many women come in for mention ...

Edited to include the actual link *sheepish grin*:
https://www.whitehorseinn.org/2018/10/the-mod-the-less-well-known-women-of-the-reformation/

Oh no! Now I wish I could rank my own post 'sad'. Thank you very much Tom! I wonder, how could I possibly forget the most important part ... (Perhaps it is related to how odd things go missing and turn up in our refrigerator and cupboards around here ... my theory used to be that a homeless person sneaked into our house at night, and I even left a note. But we've moved various times and it still happens!)

Another woman I wish I'd had enough space to include is Olympia Morata, who lived a more private life than some of those mentioned. She was Italian but spent her married life in Germany, and she helped the struggling Italian Protestants from a distance by sending theological books and finding translators. She was a gifted scholar herself and apparently made beautiful translations of the Psalms into Greek. She died before she reached 30. A lot of her writings were destroyed by fire during a siege, but the University of Chicago published her surviving letters and poems, which I hope to read soon.

Thank you for the article, Sarah. It's good to see a variety of ways that numbers of women contributed, and to remember that it's only the tip of the icerberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back