Leibniz, orthodox or heterodox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAsh1646

Puritan Board Freshman
I wanted to post this discussion because I’m curious if anyone sees Leibniz as theologically unorthodox? I hope this doesn’t sound to pushy or puffed up, but I do not want to hear people’s personal opinion if they have not read Leibniz, I would like to see direct references from his writings, because through my reading, he seems orthodox. And I would even consider him a philosophical Puritan.

As far as I can tell, he considered himself orthodox Lutheran. I don't agree with his principle of sufficient reason, but I don't think it is heretical.

In terms of mathematics and pure intellect, Leibniz was easily the most important man of the age (sorry Newton).

In terms of mathematics and pure intellect, Leibniz was easily the most important man of the age (sorry Newton).

I don't know about "easily". The calculus was only one part of Newton's contribution. His contributions in the laws of thermodynamics, optics, and motion were also huge. I agree that Newton wasn't a giant philosophically.

I don't know about "easily". The calculus was only one part of Newton's contribution. His contributions in the laws of thermodynamics, optics, and motion were also huge. I agree that Newton wasn't a giant philosophically.

Fair enough. I'll give Newton credit on calculus and Leibniz credit on the notation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back