Learning to Play the Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simply_Nikki

Puritan Board Junior
Okay fellow musicians. I have decided I'd like to learn to play the guitar.

So hear ye all thee guitar players! What would be the best guitar I could get that is not that expensive ($100 or less), easy to play for people of small statures (I'm 5'2.5"), and just generally good for beginners?

Thaankiiiees! :sing:

Last edited:
Hmm ... Less than $100? Not anything worth much. You may want to look into getting a Big Baby Taylor, but it'll be much more than $100. You may be able to find a decent Acoustic for less than $200. Sorry I'm not much help.

Hmm :think: A friend of mine showed me a Big Baby Taylor and it was like $400 and i was like :um:. Aren't there any pocket sized cheap guitars that I can just learn on until I'm ready to go pro :cool: LOL.

The cheaper you buy, the less good things will sound. You may think you stink, when it could really just be the poo poo guitar you bought for less than $100.

LOL :lol: Okay, wellp looks like i'll have to save some money to begin this hobby. Are there any good sites that sell "used" quality guitars for little people like me?

The cheaper you buy, the less good things will sound. You may think you stink, when it could really just be the poo poo guitar you bought for less than $100.

Can't agree more. I began on a Taylor 314ce, and while it was more expensive, whenever I pick up anything else, I begin to stink (ok I stink more often than that) really bad. If you're serious about it, start of with something a little better. Your fingers will thank you as well. My Taylor takes alot less pressure to hold a chord than many other guitars I've played.

LOL :lol: Okay, wellp looks like i'll have to save some money to begin this hobby. Are there any good sites that sell "used" quality guitars for little people like me?

I bought mine on Ebay several years ago.

Another thing you can do is check out a music store that sells and trades musical instruments. We have one here, and there are always nice used guitars for sale at much better prices than what you can get buying it new.

Also, I agree, you should not go out and buy a cheap instrument, because you WILL be disappointed in the end. If you have to save up for a better one or buy a good used one, that is the best thing.

Learn classical style. There are decent student guitars out there perhaps to see if you want to learn before investing.

I am partial to classical. :) Being a player myself.

My first couple guitars were from pawn shops and less than $100. They were fine to learn on. What you might do is have a guitar playing friend go with you to a pawn shop or guitar store to find a decent one.

P.S. You live in LA I see. Head down south, a little north east of San Diego and you will find the Carvin factory. Saweet!

Learn classical style. There are decent student guitars out there perhaps to see if you want to learn before investing.

I learned to play guitar on a Alhambra classical guitar I picked up in Spain for $100 (the dollar was a lot stronger then). It turned out to be a decent guitar, and I still enjoy playing it now and again.

I was trained in classical piano at my high school. I went to a Music Academy for high school. So I like classical myself. But i wanted to be able to play mostly worship songs on the guitar =)

If you know anyone who plays guitar, it might be nice to go around to a few pawn shops with them. They ought to be able to tell you if you're getting a deal or a lemon.

And don't give up when your fingers hurt. It happens to us all. ;)

My first couple guitars were from pawn shops and less than $100. They were fine to learn on. What you might do is have a guitar playing friend go with you to a pawn shop or guitar store to find a decent one.

I'd have to seek out a guitar playing friend first LOL. Unfortunately I have none in L.A. :lol:

Too bad you don't live in Okinawa. They have a place on base that sells Chinese knockoffs of some pretty nice guitars that are really cheap. If you pay for a $1500 roundtrip ticket you can get a $100 new guitar here. ;)

If you're learning how to play I would recommend buying a used classical guitar with nylon strings. Steel strings are pretty tough on un-calloused fingers.

Check your local Craigslist for a used one or a garage sale

No use starting out really expensive just to find out in 3 months you dont really like it. If you do like playing the guitar, you can always upgrade down the road. I started out with an old washburn and eventually moved to a taylor 410ce which I really like.
410ce_zoom_front-1a041b49831b22a516606844a60abf8d.jpg

Niki, a dear friend of mine for many years own Westwood Music in Westwood. His name is Fred Walecki. He's a professing believer. Please mention my name to him, and ask him to help you find a guitar that you can start on and afford. He'll be fair and will be VERY helpful.

Too bad you don't live in Okinawa. They have a place on base that sells Chinese knockoffs of some pretty nice guitars that are really cheap. If you pay for a $1500 roundtrip ticket you can get a $100 new guitar here. ;)

If you're learning how to play I would recommend buying a used classical guitar with nylon strings. Steel strings are pretty tough on un-calloused fingers.

Yeah callouses I'm afraid for them, they sound like something you threaten your kids with if they're bad. :um: LOL

Niki, a dear friend of mine for many years own Westwood Music in Westwood. His name is Fred Walecki. He's a professing believer. Please mention my name to him, and ask him to help you find a guitar that you can start on and afford. He'll be fair and will be VERY helpful.

That's awesome! I just looked up the website. That's not too far from me! I shall investigateth :gpl:

I agree.

I've been playing guitar for nine or ten years, but classical guitar for only two. I would recommend lessons. I have had lessons at each stage of my guitar development (beginning with pop/punk, middle with blues/jazz, and now late with classical), and even taught others for a few years, and I have to say that having someone who is accomplished and dedicated to their instrument and music in general is very motivating and stimulating. It can get very expensive, but try to find someone who does private lessons (I charged ten dollars a week, not too bad considering it is about 25 a week at a music shop).

I don't think it is imperative to learn classically at first, but I do recommend learning to read music (as it applies to guitar, since I'm sure you know applied to piano).

I hope it goes well for you. I can't give much advice on an inexpensive guitar, since I haven't been in the market for a guitar of any kind in a while, especially not a cheap one :rolleyes:.

I agree.

I've been playing guitar for nine or ten years, but classical guitar for only two. I would recommend lessons. I have had lessons at each stage of my guitar development (beginning with pop/punk, middle with blues/jazz, and now late with classical), and even taught others for a few years, and I have to say that having someone who is accomplished and dedicated to their instrument and music in general is very motivating and stimulating. It can get very expensive, but try to find someone who does private lessons (I charged ten dollars a week, not too bad considering it is about 25 a week at a music shop).

I don't think it is imperative to learn classically at first, but I do recommend learning to read music (as it applies to guitar, since I'm sure you know applied to piano).

I hope it goes well for you. I can't give much advice on an inexpensive guitar, since I haven't been in the market for a guitar of any kind in a while, especially not a cheap one :rolleyes:.

I've never seen guitar sheet music. I mean I've seen the guitar chord things over piano sheet music. Is that the same thing? :think:

There's some great quality guitars coming out of Asia nowdays, but I don't know about $100 bucks or under. Check out the Fenders at your local music store. For a little more $$, say $300 you'll get the most bang for your buck with a Seagull.

If you really want to stick to $100 or less, and are a bit patient, your best bet is to check your local Craiglist every day. There's some incredible deals there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back