Learning Genevan Tunes Resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKing

Puritan Board Junior
I recently obtained the Psalter in Spanish. It is designed to be sung with the Geneva tunes. Being a Scottish Presbyterian, there are only a small number of these I know (100, 124, 129, 134 and a few others). So...where do I begin? Are there good CDs? Suggestions?

The back of the current edition of the 1912 United Presbyterian Psalter has a section with Genevan Tunes. The Dutch used them for a long time and are sometimes called "Dutch tunes" since they added the harmony to the melody. The Protestant Reformed Church has a psalm singing choir that puts out CDs and a number of these tunes are on the CDs. I am sure a quick google search will get them for you. Of course, they also have either a piano or an organ or both... I am thinking piano, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

BTW, one of my deacons, Joel Chairez, was instrumental in getting that Spanish psalter back in circulation. RPMissions also helped due to a large pre-purchase.

N

The back of the current edition of the 1912 United Presbyterian Psalter has a section with Genevan Tunes. The Dutch used them for a long time and are sometimes called "Dutch tunes" since they added the harmony to the melody. The Protestant Reformed Church has a psalm singing choir that puts out CDs and a number of these tunes are on the CDs. I am sure a quick google search will get them for you. Of course, they also have either a piano or an organ or both... I am thinking piano, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

BTW, one of my deacons, Joel Chairez, was instrumental in getting that Spanish psalter back in circulation. RPMissions also helped due to a large pre-purchase.

N

The page below has audio for the singing of this particular translation of the Psalter

Presbiteriano Reformado - Bueno es alabar a Jehová y cantar Salmos a tu Nombre, oh Altísimo.

Looks like its the same audio as posted above, though on a different website. Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back