Leading to Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Bannerman, in his fine work, 'The Church of Christ writes:

“The chief and highest exercise of Church power, to declare the mind of God from His Word, and to preach the Gospel to sinners, is ever represented as the work of presbyters, and never as the duty of the members” (832-833).

Wstminster LC:

Q. 158. By whom is the Word of God to be preached?
A. The Word of God is to be preached only by such as are sufficiently gifted,[1015] and also duly approved and called to that office.[1016]

[1015] 1 Timothy 3:2, 6. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach.... Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Ephesians 4:8-11. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers. Hosea 4:6. My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. Malachi 2:7. For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts. 2 Corinthians 3:6. Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

[1016] Jeremiah 14:15. Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed. Romans 10:15. And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! Hebrews 5:4. And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron. 1 Corinthians 12:28-29. And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 1 Timothy 3:10. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. 1 Timothy 4:14. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 1 Timothy 5:22. Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

Tyler,

You mentioned that it was the job of an ordained minister to call people to faith and repentance, not the laity. But do you call your children to faith and repentance, or can you do that because they are part of the covenant? If someone asks me, "what must I do to be saved," I'm not going to say "talk to my pastor." I'm also not going to say, "my pastor would say that you need to repent and believe." I would call on them to repent and believe. Would you do the same? So I can better understand you, what would you do in this circumstance?
Tim,

First, I want to qualify that I'm in a bit of an unusual circumstance at the moment, as someone pursuing the ministry who will probably be doing some preaching (as a student/ministerial candidate) before long. I'll answer your question as though I were not on that path.

All parents have the responsibility to instruct their children in the things of God. That includes teaching them about the gospel, repentance, faith, etc. Likewise, if someone were to ask "What must I do to be saved?" I'd let him know what he must do to be saved, and direct him to a sound church. However, I don't have the authority to say, "I charge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to repent of your sins and believe the Gospel." That's calling someone to faith and repentance. I don't have the authority to act in this way because I don't have the commission from Christ.

I hope you see that there is a difference between telling someone what he must do to be saved and calling him to repent and believe. To represent Christ as a divinely sent messenger, commanding men to repent and believe implies an authority over those people, given by a commission from the Lord of the universe. Only the ministers of the gospel have this delegated authority.

I HAVE already endeavoured to vindicate, against the views of Independents, the necessity, in all ordinary circumstances, of the call of the Church, expressed through her office-bearers, and by means of ordination, to complete the ministerial title. That there may be a crisis in the history of the Church, when in order to preserve the office itself it is lawful to sacrifice the outward call of the Church to the office, and to set apart men to the ministry without ordination by office-bearers, cannot be doubted. Such a crisis, perhaps, was the persecution at Jerusalem, when all except the Apostles were scattered abroad, and they went forth preaching the Gospel where they went. Certainly such a crisis was the Reformation from Popery, when, rather than acknowledge the authority of the Church of Rome, and receive ministers and ordination at her hands, it was lawful for the Reformed Churches"”if such a necessity was laid upon them"”by their own authority to revive the office of the ministry, and, without seeking ordination from those previously ordained, to set apart men to its duties.1

1 Gillespie, Miscell. Quest. chap. Iii. obj. 6.

I believe the best example, in relation to the above would be Calvin or Farel-maybe Bunyan.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

Scott,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you equate evangelism with the office of evangelist. However, it does not seem to logically follow that evangelism proceeds only from the ordained. For example, we have teaching elders, but it doesn't follow that no one but teaching elders can teach in all circumstances. Likewise, it is difficult to logically link all evangelism to the work of an evangelist. If we love the evangel, we should present people with the evangel.

Tyler,

You mentioned that it was the job of an ordained minister to call people to faith and repentance, not the laity. But do you call your children to faith and repentance, or can you do that because they are part of the covenant? If someone asks me, "what must I do to be saved," I'm not going to say "talk to my pastor." I'm also not going to say, "my pastor would say that you need to repent and believe." I would call on them to repent and believe. Would you do the same? So I can better understand you, what would you do in this circumstance?

Jeri,

I completely understand part of your concern about modern evangelism. We should absolutely not promote religious individualism. As I affirmed before, evangelism proceeds from the organized church. I think we're in agreement on this. The article you recommended seems, at least in part, to be countering modern evangelical individualism. In that capacity, I agree with the concern.

Ed,

Thanks for providing Turretin. Wonderful stuff!

Are we to promote God's law both in public and private? If so, does God's law demand faith and repentance? Again, as those who speak for God and partake in Christ's anointing, a product of loving God's law is to encourage others to obey it. This necessarily includes calling people to faith and repentance.

Christ says:

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you..." (Matt. 28:19-20a)

Christ commanded us to "love your neighbor as yourself." Isn't it loving to call our neighbors to faith and repentance? How can we fulfill the royal law if we do not call others to obey it in its fullness?

Nowhere that I'm aware of in scripture is this restricted to the ordained. Shouldn't we be very careful not to teach as doctrines the commandments of men?
My understanding of the scriptures in this area is that the ministers/pastors are called and gifted by God to primarily preach/teach the scriptures in order to build up and mature the flock over are saved under their charge, and that while some are saved in the building during that time, the vast majority of those converted to Christ occur outide the building, when the local church goes back out unto the work and there meet and interact with the lost.

Tim,

First, I want to qualify that I'm in a bit of an unusual circumstance at the moment, as someone pursuing the ministry who will probably be doing some preaching (as a student/ministerial candidate) before long. I'll answer your question as though I were not on that path.

All parents have the responsibility to instruct their children in the things of God. That includes teaching them about the gospel, repentance, faith, etc. Likewise, if someone were to ask "What must I do to be saved?" I'd let him know what he must do to be saved, and direct him to a sound church. However, I don't have the authority to say, "I charge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to repent of your sins and believe the Gospel." That's calling someone to faith and repentance. I don't have the authority to act in this way because I don't have the commission from Christ.

I hope you see that there is a difference between telling someone what he must do to be saved and calling him to repent and believe. To represent Christ as a divinely sent messenger, commanding men to repent and believe implies an authority over those people, given by a commission from the Lord of the universe. Only the ministers of the gospel have this delegated authority.
If someone asks me why do I believe, per Peter, are we not then commanded to give a witness for Jesus, and that would include the Gospel and invitation to them to receive Jesus and get saved?

Scripture says so.

No one has limited this to reformed Pastors...even the improperly ordained may dispense the means of saving grace.
The power to save lost sinners resides in the scriptures and the Holy Spirit, regardless who is giving that out.

To be clear you are saying that the Confession teaches that the the means of Grace are limited to ordained Ministers? No one can be saved except by the preaching of a ordained Reformed Minister? What you are saying would exclude salvation for a lot of people who were saved in bad churches. A person could never be saved in a evangelical/charismatic church, or for that matter any church that is not a true church?
Salvation in this view would require one to have heard the Gospel by a Reformed ordained minister, and to have received Jesus through that party. My understanding would be that the power to save a lost sinner is through the scriptures and by the Holy Spirit. Any mister called by God, Reformed or non would have that opportunity, as would any of us if asked to give a defense of the faith.

Have you examined the passage, Matthew 28:19-20, carefully?

Are all to make disciples by baptizing and teaching, wherein baptizing and teaching are participles of means—for "making disciples"—in the passage?
Are you saying here that the Lord was restricting this command towards the church to those who were the called and ordained to minister the Gospel and to teach and edify the saved, the pastors and teachers ?

Moderator Note:

David,

Well if this is what you meant, then why not take the time to carefully craft your responses to make your meaning perspicuous? Written communication affords us the opportunity to be very clear about our intentions. Even our emotions, often not explicit as they would be in face-to-face communications, can be signaled by some careful use of emoticons in written communications herein.

Unfortunately, it is too often the case that when your posts are questioned for clarification, you offer up something along the lines of what I have just quoted: basically walking back your original comments.

If you find yourself regularly having to rejoin to others, "what I meant to say", then my advice to you—or anyone else that this may apply—would be to carefully examine your written words before submitting them for consideration by your audience. Also, as I have previously advised you, slow down and look at the post you have just submitted before moving onward and considering if some edits (spelling, grammar, punctuation, intended meaning, etc.) need to be made to your submitted post.
Thank you, and will try to put more into practice what you have pointed out to me.

I think some times we reformed talk past each other, I know I do . There may be some semantics happening in this thread. Preaching, deacons, and ministering can all be used in different ways.
Bill, I don't think we're exactly talking past each other, maybe a little bit. It's a huge distinction being discussed and the blurring of it or not seeing it or even not believing there really is much of one is the issue. Modern day Reformed people think very differently than the Puritans did about evangelism. The Evangelism Explosion program is what caused broad acceptance of what is now popularly taught. Pragmatism makes lay people say, well I don't see the ministers of the church doing it, they're too busy, etc., I'll do it. We've lost the high view of the ordained ministry/the importance of the church that was worked out in the Reformation. It's not Romanist. It's the pure recovery of what Rome corrupted. Some church history can help here. Check out Dr. McMahon's Puritan Mind website for evangelism articles and resources, how the Puritans saw it. Here's one: http://www.apuritansmind.com/puritan-evangelism/

Are you saying here that the Lord was restricting this command towards the church to those who were the called and ordained to minister the Gospel and to teach and edify the saved, the pastors and teachers ?
David,

What do you think the passage in question is teaching based upon what I have pointed out? Please elaborate on your interpretation of the passage.

David writes:

My understanding of the scriptures in this area is that the ministers/pastors are called and gifted by God to primarily preach/teach the scriptures in order to build up and mature the flock over are saved under their charge

These men are ordained, spiritually to the office; that office has characteristics that are integral to the office and gospel. You fail to make this biblical distinction and in your pursuit, you create unrest. God is a God of order and you destroy it with your independent mentality.

the vast majority of those converted to Christ occur outide the buildinG

PREPOSTEROUS! UNFOUNDED. Are you sir, reading anything or are u just randomly answering things based on your personal opinion, because thats the way u come across. Painful.

when the local church goes back out unto the work and there meet and interact with the lost.

Please show me the biblical passages relevant to this charge. Please show me one instance in scripture where 'preaching' is divorced from a church polity! Please show me where anyone involved in ministry is not officially sent. Just one, please.

Calvin on Acts 8:4 and the scattering:

"They were all scattered abroad (v. 1), not all the believers, but all the preachers, who were principally struck at, and against whom warrants were issued out to take them up."

In this assessment by Calvin, he is adopting exactly what I am saying, a systematic approach to the doctrine of biblical polity. he understand the principle and is applying it to his exegesis.

Directory for family worship:

"III. As the charge and office of interpreting the holy scriptures is a part of the ministerial calling, which none (however otherwise qualified) should take upon him in any place, but he that is duly called thereunto by God and his kirk; so in every family where there is any that can read, the holy scriptures should be read ordinarily to the family; and it is commendable, that thereafter they confer, and by way of conference make some good use of what hath been read and heard. As, for example, if any sin be reproved in the word read, use may be made thereof to make all the family circumspect and watchful against the same; or if any judgment be threatened, or mentioned to have been inflicted, in that portion of scripture which is read, use may be made to make all the family fear lest the same or a worse judgment befall them, unless they beware of the sin that procured it: and, finally, if any duty be required, or comfort held forth in a promise, use may be made to stir up themselves to employ Christ for strength to enable them for doing the commanded duty, and to apply the offered comfort. In all which the master of the family is to have the chief hand; and any member of the family may propone a question or doubt for resolution."

I have an issue with this statement, Earl. Since the means only works through the ordained, I would say what I do personally is not that; to be technically accurate. If I am reading to my daughter and she is converted under it, it is the HS distributing the means of grace, not I.

Of course I am reading of being saved as the entire process of being saved which includes preaching and administering the sacraments.

David,

What do you think the passage in question is teaching based upon what I have pointed out? Please elaborate on your interpretation of the passage.
I think that all Christians have been called of God to be witnesses to be used by Him to spread the good news of Jesus, and that Ministers/elders/teachers are the ones that God set up to build up and mature the flock once saved.

David writes:

These men are ordained, spiritually to the office; that office has characteristics that are integral to the office and gospel. You fail to make this biblical distinction and in your pursuit, you create unrest. God is a God of order and you destroy it with your independent mentality.

PREPOSTEROUS! UNFOUNDED. Are you sir, reading anything or are u just randomly answering things based on your personal opinion, because thats the way u come across. Painful.

Please show me the biblical passages relevant to this charge. Please show me one instance in scripture where 'preaching' is divorced from a church polity! Please show me where anyone involved in ministry is not officially sent. Just one, please.
I think that we are talking 2 different things here my Brother, as I do see the role of the pastor is to be the spiritual leader of his flock, and to mature and grow them up, but where is the scripture that states only officials of a local church can witness and tell others about Jesus as Lord?

I think that we are talking 2 different things here my Brother, as I do see the role of the pastor is to be the spiritual leader of his flock, and to mature and grow them up, but where is the scripture that states only officials of a local church can witness and tell others about Jesus as Lord?

Who holds the keys of the kingdom? Sister Barbara? Brother Mavis? Everyone?

Jesus Himself

Technically that is incorrect. Jesus indeed owned the keys, but he gave them to the ordained ministry to use authoritatively as a gateway entrance and exit in and out of the Church.

Matthew 16:19
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 20:22-23
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Heidelberg:

83. What is the Office of the Keys? The preaching of the Holy Gospel and Christian discipline; by these two the kingdom of heaven is opened to believers and shut against unbelievers.1

[1] Matt. 16:18–19; 18:18; *Jn. 20:23; *Lk. 24:46–47; *1 Cor. 1:23–24.

84. How is the kingdom of heaven opened and shut by the preaching of the Holy Gospel? In this way: that, according to the command of Christ, it is proclaimed and openly witnessed to believers, one and all, that as often as they accept with true faith the promise of the Gospel, all their sins are really forgiven them of God for the sake of Christ’s merits; and on the contrary, to all unbelievers and hypocrites, that the wrath of God and eternal condemnation abide on them so long as they are not converted.1 According to this testimony of the Gospel, God will judge men both in this life and in that which is to come.

[1] Jn. 20:21–23; *Acts 10:43; *Isa. 58:1; *2 Cor. 2:15–16; *Jn. 8:24.

85. How is the kingdom of heaven shut and opened by Christian discipline? In this way: that, according to the command of Christ, if any under the Christian name show themselves unsound either in doctrine or in life, and after several brotherly admonitions do not turn from their errors or evil ways, they are complained of to the Church or to its proper officers; and, if they neglect to hear them also, are by them denied the holy sacraments and thereby excluded from the Christian communion, and by God Himself from the kingdom of Christ; and if they promise and show real amendment, they are again received as members of Christ and His Church.1

[1] Matt. 18:15–18; 1 Cor. 5:3–5, 11; 2 Thess. 3:14–15; 2 Jn. 1:10–11.

David,
You continue to fail to interact. Asking a question, instead of answering a question posed to you only shows you are unable to communicate. Do us all a favor and just stop bogging down the thread with empty statements.

David,
You continue to fail to interact. Asking a question, instead of answering a question posed to you only shows you are unable to communicate. Do us all a favor and just stop bogging down the thread with empty statements.
I am trying to answer the questions, but again, whre is it stated that only the pastors are authorized to be able to tell sinners that Jesus can save them?

Heidelberg:

83. What is the Office of the Keys? The preaching of the Holy Gospel and Christian discipline; by these two the kingdom of heaven is opened to believers and shut against unbelievers.1

[1] Matt. 16:18–19; 18:18; *Jn. 20:23; *Lk. 24:46–47; *1 Cor. 1:23–24.

84. How is the kingdom of heaven opened and shut by the preaching of the Holy Gospel? In this way: that, according to the command of Christ, it is proclaimed and openly witnessed to believers, one and all, that as often as they accept with true faith the promise of the Gospel, all their sins are really forgiven them of God for the sake of Christ’s merits; and on the contrary, to all unbelievers and hypocrites, that the wrath of God and eternal condemnation abide on them so long as they are not converted.1 According to this testimony of the Gospel, God will judge men both in this life and in that which is to come.

[1] Jn. 20:21–23; *Acts 10:43; *Isa. 58:1; *2 Cor. 2:15–16; *Jn. 8:24.

85. How is the kingdom of heaven shut and opened by Christian discipline? In this way: that, according to the command of Christ, if any under the Christian name show themselves unsound either in doctrine or in life, and after several brotherly admonitions do not turn from their errors or evil ways, they are complained of to the Church or to its proper officers; and, if they neglect to hear them also, are by them denied the holy sacraments and thereby excluded from the Christian communion, and by God Himself from the kingdom of Christ; and if they promise and show real amendment, they are again received as members of Christ and His Church.1

[1] Matt. 18:15–18; 1 Cor. 5:3–5, 11; 2 Thess. 3:14–15; 2 Jn. 1:10–11.
this applies that passage to the saved, but my understanding is that Jesus was referring to that when the Gospel is proclaimed/preached, and sinners receive Jesus, Kingdom is open to them, but if they stay rejecting, it is still shut to them. Your passages seem to be blending that also with the Church discipline Jesus gave to us in Gospel of Matthew.

Bill, I don't think we're exactly talking past each other, maybe a little bit. It's a huge distinction being discussed and the blurring of it or not seeing it or even not believing there really is much of one is the issue. Modern day Reformed people think very differently than the Puritans did about evangelism. The Evangelism Explosion program is what caused broad acceptance of what is now popularly taught. Pragmatism makes lay people say, well I don't see the ministers of the church doing it, they're too busy, etc., I'll do it. We've lost the high view of the ordained ministry/the importance of the church that was worked out in the Reformation. It's not Romanist. It's the pure recovery of what Rome corrupted. Some church history can help here. Check out Dr. McMahon's Puritan Mind website for evangelism articles and resources, how the Puritans saw it. Here's one: http://www.apuritansmind.com/puritan-evangelism/
The vast majority of personal salvation stories that I know of in my church did involve someone other than pastors witnessing to the person.

Have you examined the passage, Matthew 28:19-20, carefully?

Are all to make disciples by baptizing and teaching, wherein baptizing and teaching are participles of means—for "making disciples"—in the passage?

David,

I think that all Christians have been called of God to be witnesses to be used by Him to spread the good news of Jesus, and that Ministers/elders/teachers are the ones that God set up to build up and mature the flock once saved.

David,

Please see above. My question strictly concerns Matthew 28:19-20:

19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen

What is your interpretation of the commandment being given by Jesus in these two verses?

Tim,

I'm not sure as an ordained minister if I would say "I charge you to repent and believe" in those words. As a candidate for elder, I have taught and invited people to Christ publicly. in my opinion, you may be splitting hairs.

If you are encouraging people to repent and believe but don't want to label it a call to faith and repentance, I think we only differ in word choice. I can live with that. :)

I still struggle to see the distinction you and Scott make about evangelism. If you are encouraging someone to faith and repentance and speaking the gospel (evangel) to them, why not call it evangelism?

I don't have much more to say. I don't feel as concerned as I did at the beginning about the positions being projected since it seems to have more to do with word choice than anything, although to doubt someone's conversation because it wasn't in the context of preaching is still concerning to me (though I don't think you fully agree with that statement from your use of the word "ordinary").

Tyler, I always enjoy discussing things with you. Thanks for the interaction and blessings as you pursue the ministry!

WCF:

Ch 7

VI. Under the gospel, when Christ the substance was exhibited, the ordinances in which this covenant is dispensed, are the preaching of the Word, and the administration of the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper; which, though fewer in number, and administered with more simplicity and less outward glory, yet in them it is held forth in more fullness, evidence, and spiritual efficacy, to all nations, both Jews and Gentiles; and is called the New Testament. There are not, therefore, two covenants of grace differing in substance, but one and the same under various dispensations.

The above links preaching with the distribution of the sacraments

Ch 21

V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear; the sound preaching, and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God with understanding, faith, and reverence; singing of psalms with grace in the heart; as, also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ; are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God: besides religious oaths, and vows, solemn fastings, and thanksgivings upon special occasion; which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.

The above links preaching w/ 'due administration'.

Ch 23

III. The civil magistrate may not assume to himself the administration of the Word and sacraments, or the power of the keys of the kingdom of heaven: yet he hath authority, and it is his duty, to take order, that unity and peace be preserved in the Church, that the truth of God be kept pure and entire; that all blasphemies and heresies be suppressed; all corruptions and abuses in worship and discipline prevented or reformed; and all the ordinances of God duly settled, administered, and observed. For the better effecting whereof, he hath power to call synods, to be present at them, and to provide that whatsoever is transacted in them be according to the mind of God.

The above condemns a non-ordained man to assume 'to himself the administration of the word and sacraments'. This would include preaching.

Ch 27

IV. There be only two sacraments ordained by Christ our Lord in the gospels, that is to say, Baptism and the Supper of the Lord: neither or which may be dispensed by any but a minister of the Word, lawfully ordained.

'Minister of the word' says much. The distinction between a 'minister of the word' and one who is not a 'minister of the word' must be considered. If I read the word to my family, I am not administering the M of G, nor am I preaching to them. I am exhorting, witnessing, educating as a parent is called to do.

Ch 28

II. The outward element to be used in the sacrament is water, wherewith the party is to be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, by a minister of the gospel, lawfully called thereunto.

Since the sacraments are a means of grace and can only be distributed by an ordained man, 'called thereunto', it would follow that preaching falls under the same criteria.

From the Directory for the Publick worship of God:

Of the Preaching of the Word.

PREACHING of the word, being the power of God unto salvation, and one of the greatest and most excellent works belonging to the ministry of the gospel, should be so performed, that the workman need not be ashamed, but may save himself, and those that hear him.

It is presupposed, (according to the rules for ordination,) that the minister of Christ is in some good measure gifted for so weighty a service, by his skill in the original languages, and in such arts and sciences as are handmaids unto divinity; by his knowledge in the whole body of theology, but most of all in the holy scriptures, having his senses and heart exercised in them above the common sort of believers; and by the illumination of God’s Spirit, and other gifts of edification, which (together with reading and studying of the word) he ought still to seek by prayer, and an humble heart, resolving to admit and receive any truth not yet attained, whenever God shall make it known unto him. All which he is to make use of, and improve, in his private preparations, before he deliver in public what he hath provided.

Scott, no disagreement here. I don't believe that preaching is the right word for laity. This is reserved for the ordained as you say. I disagree though that evangelism is reserved only for the ordained. If we promote the evangel, seek the salvation of souls (and yes, seeking to bring them under the preaching of the Word!), why not call it what it seems to be?

I plan on leaving the conversation at this unless there is any compelling reason to continue. I don't feel there are any really significant disagreements besides word choice.

Thanks for conversing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back