Leading a Bible Study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordo

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi guys. Wasn't sure where to post this so I put it in General.

I have been approached by my Mother and her friend (and maybe a few others) about leading a Bible study for them. They are new Christians (and some seekers) who want to learn more about the Bible. I am undecided if this is something I want to do, but I do find myself interested in at least considering it.

Looking for advice on where to start, especially in light that I want to present a reformed view. Should one start with the Gospels? Or Covenant Theology? A summarized general overview of the Bible viewing God's plan from Genesis to his completed work in Christ?

Is there any material available for purchase or online for people who want to lead a Bible study?

Thanks!

gord

I would first approach your elders to advise them that there are some in the community who are asking for biblical teaching. You don't want to do this independently. Oversight is important.

Thanks Tim. I will discuss this with my Pastor and see what his thoughts are.

My Mom and her friend aren't really in the community that i'm in. They live in a different town, but want to meet once a month, etc.

Agreed. Talk to your pastor.

Also, once that's been established, script out what you're going to say as much as possible. Believe it or not, this really helps to keep you on track.

Agreed. Talk to your pastor.

Also, once that's been established, script out what you're going to say as much as possible. Believe it or not, this really helps to keep you on track.

Yes, I echo what Tim and J. Dean say. I've been doing it for about 20 years in the navy and in prison ministry. It is more difficult than I thought it would be at first. There are a lot of potential pitfalls if you do it independently and without adequate preparation.

in my opinion the third thing you mentioned was the best for the situation you described:
"A summarized general overview of the Bible viewing God's plan from Genesis to his completed work in Christ?"

I'm doing the same thing with my mother, we're using the Westminster Shorter Catechism. It's short, relativity easy, and is a great foundation that will lead to other questions.

You can find it for free online or look on Amazon or Christianbook.com, there are several good books on the subject. I am using the C.I. Williamson book.

Oh, one other thing-not too much caffeine before teaching. I'm saying this partly tongue-in-cheek, but I'm also serious; I've caught myself shooting through lessons like a tobacco auctioneer, and had to cut back on my coffee intake prior to teaching.

Are your mother or her friends members of a local church? I am happy to hear of their hunger for spiritual food and I do think there may be a place for you to share with them, but are they regularly receiving the nourishment of the preaching of the word and sacrament from a local body?

My pastor's wife used this book with me:http://www.amazon.com/Your-Life-Christ-Classic-Discipleship/dp/0891090363/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I cannot say if it was Reformed or not. I was attending a PCA church and she was a solidly reformed woman. I was not yet a Christian when she started this book with me, but I can tell you that the things I learned through this study stuck with me. I came to faith through this study, a persistent woman's love and prayers, and the work of the Spirit. I believe it covered the basics of the faith. I'd ask your pastor. That's always the best place to start.

Thanks for all the advice! Appreciate it!

Andrew,

My Mom is not a member of a church yet. I am planning on suggesting she begin to look for one. I would take her to mine but that would be a long drive and there are probably great options closer to her home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back