Law and Gospel Contrasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew,

I am not promoting "mysticism", that is about as absurd a statement as I've ever heard. What you call mysticism I call the very heart of saving faith. It is NOT mystical to say I "œlove because He first loved me", it is pointing out the heart of the real Gospel and the real Law. Love is not mystical it is action but it issues forth from the heart or it is not at all, no matter what action is taken by the hands. Christ Himself makes that explicitly clear and He does not promote "œmysticism". You think I´m speaking against deeds, you are sorely wrong and make a gross false assumption. I´m going to the heart of deeds and true fruit. The fruit that is true fruit of the Spirit issues from the tree already made, it is the tree that matters for false fruit is EASILY produced, you must have faith first or you have nothing at all, deeds or otherwise.

The Gospel takes the Law from a cold dead letter and writes it upon the heart so that it IS desired to be done. There is nothing mystical about that rather the power of God´s Spirit through the holy Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is now done from the heart and not due to a "œfear of punishment or hope of reward" for all is had in Christ alone. There is absolutely NOTHING mystical about a thief ceasing to steal with his very real hands as a Christian because FIRST God has loved Him in Christ and this former thief is so absolutely assured of Christ FOR HIM that he now ceases to steal FROM THE HEART. There´s NOTHING mystical about that and by the way THAT IS WORK DONE BY THE HANDS (emphasis added "“ ldh) issuing forth from a willing heart MADE willing by the Gospel and not the Law as dead letter. Oh, one can threaten an unconverted thief with punishment and prevent the thief but his heart would rather steal. All one has made here is a Pharisee or twice the son of hell as he was before when he was an open thief and performed what his heart actually desired.

To love the Law of God is to LOVE IT FROM THE HEART and this is done when the Gospel is pure to the man. The Law becomes not some dead letter we have to "œdo" in order to be assured of God´s grace, but a thing we increasingly love to do from a heart that loves the Law. But the switch becomes such that it issues forth from the heart and such that at length the instruction is not needed, rather it is natural (though in this life we are sinners and saints simultaneously, thus the battle Paul describes). If we did not have the old man still apart of us, ideally, we would love God´s law SO much that it would be our VERY NATURE. And as our very nature we would hardly need the letter for it would be natural to us. That is no mysticism AT ALL.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not leading down a path of lasciviousness as you falsely charge. To be quite frank I doubt that our lives are all that different and I DO serve and love my neighbor, but I do so driven by the Gospel (though I don´t know your life anymore than you mine, but that is not the point). The point is the Gospel gives the power that the Law can never do. The irony between us is I´m actually saying the Gospel gives the power unto the very good works you think I´m speaking against. You think I´m speaking against the Law when in fact I´m trying to show the way in which the Law becomes the heart of the believer by the Gospel. You fail to see, time and time again that there is absolutely no difference in a thief seeking for himself by stealing from another and the religious do gooder who does some outward "œgood works" with his hands to another with the appearance of "œhelping neighbor" but all along he is trying to save or assure himself of salvation by his doing. The latter is actually a greater thief than the former. At least the open thief is being honest about his inward curving sin. He, the former open thief, will not at least think his open thievery is a virtue whereby he pleases man or God. However, the later, the do gooder, will be deeply deceived by his outward appearing work because it "œlooks good" and is headed on his way blindly to hell. For his selfishness is GREATER than the open thief. The open thief thinks he lives by the paltry earthly items he steals, that´s why he stills. But the do gooder thinks he lives eternally by an outward deed he does to another. But the later is NOT really doing it FOR his neighbor but for himself, thus proving his sin to be greater. This is why Jesus could say that the sinners and tax collectors would actually see the kingdom of heaven before the Pharisees. For very few would consider open theft as a virtue. But MANY would consider "œdo gooder" works as a virtue. The man in greater danger of thinking he is working his way to heaven, either directly or seeking assurance, is the one doing virtuous works.

This is not against true good works at all. This is the very battle the Reformers warred with Rome against. They too were accused of eschewing good works and deeds. But NOTHING was further from the truth. For they held to justification by faith alone strenuously so that true good works would arise. And they arise from a heart that is freed by the pure Gospel, that is the fruit of faith.

I'm not promoting lasciviousness as you falsely charge of me or leading to a careless carefree life in fact I´m trying to show the opposite. And I re-iterate, even from Jude, which I´ve read numerous times, just because men abuse the grace of God, the Gospel, NEVER gives us license to alter its powerful pure message. In fact Jude presupposes this. He does not say, "œtweak the message of the Gospel because evil men are abusing it or give them a "˜corrective´ to the Gospel because lascivious men are abusing it". He says, "œungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ." They actually turn the grace of God, the grace of God is not changed itself, the message is still the same, but that THEY turn it into licentiousness themselves. Which if you will note very carefully is a return to the inward curving, again licentiousness like ALL sin is this selfish gain and inward curving. They are those who do not believe, have faith, ceased to trust in him and hence they turn back to themselves. They have taken the free grace of God and used it to continue to seek out "œlife" (they suppose) in themselves. They are still inwardly curved and seeking themselves. They think the grace of God is still yet the selfish inward path of seeking the self and life for themselves.

Hypothetically, if you ran across such a person, say as in James, what is their real need? Do you hammer them with deeds to vivify a faith that doesn´t exist, vivifying a dead faith with works? What would we call that in protestant circles? Would such "œconvert them"? Hardly, what they need is to still see their desperate situation via the Law and then the Gospel. If you take one with dead faith though in the fold of the church, that is one who has no saving faith but one who by definition has NO saving faith but a false faith and you say, "œdo good works" what do you have? Have you REALLY fixed the problem? Well, what do you have when you have an unbeliever never before "œconverted", never before in the fold of the church, who is doing much good works on the outside trying to work their way to heaven. Do you say, "œWell done sir. Surely you will go to heaven for such fine good works." Of course not because in both cases, fundamentally, you have the exact same thing a deceived religious person, like the Dalhi Lama.

Do you think the devil a poor general and that he has a hard time deceiving us? We are hardly a challenge for him, he sifts us just like Peter with ease. Of course the devil is going to bring lascivious men to abuse the Gospel so he can drive ignorant men back to a legal pathway and destroy the Gospel altogether. It matters little to him if he drives men to works directly or indirectly, it matters little which side of the fence he attacks the Gospel "“ just so long as men´s eyes are blinded of it.

2 Corinthians 4:3-5, "œAnd even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake."
Again, this is the exact accusation leveled at Paul and was leveled again by Rome at the Reformers when the Gospel was so foisted up. Oh, no I´m not speaking against deeds done by the hands, but rather where these true deeds come from and that is a heart that has been set free and is assured of this very freedom through Christ crucified and risen for them to do them. This sentence I gave, "œIf you do something for me then thank you for your love, but if you do them to save yourself, assure yourself of salvation, have certitude for yourself and etc"¦ then do bother I don´t want your sin." Was calculated to reveal the religious sinner in us all. If you or I want to do good works for someone, then by all means DO them FOR THEM and not with an eye toward salvation, assurance, etc"¦ Because "œgood works" done for that reason are no good works AT ALL and are not done BY US FOR THEM, but we do them BY US TO THEM FOR OURSELF. And hence false good works. Now that being said I´ll address one last thing. We are STILL simultaneously sinners and saint, Romans 7, and we can in no way do ANY good deeds altruistically in this life, thus we lament we cannot do the good we desire to do but yet desire to do it (actually loving the Law). Thus, AGAIN, we need the Gospel to carry us through even that! In short you are relieved of worrying about your "œgood deeds" score card because of the Gospel. You are literally free to serve in all capacities and need no church yard piety or church box of "œthese here are good works" and the rest is useless secular work.

Always to You Blessings in Christ alone,

Larry

Originally posted by Peter
quote from Irons' article

The NT imperatives lose their lively evangelical thrust when they are subsumed under the rubric of the ten commandments. This is seen most clearly in the Reformed catechisms, which use the Decalogue as ten "œhooks" upon which to hang the various OT commands and NT imperatives.

Robin, do you want to think about removing the mention of Ursinus and Heidelberg from your signature line?

Question 90. What is the quickening of the new man?

Answer: It is a sincere joy of heart in God, through Christ, (a) and with love and delight to live according to the will of God in all good works. (b)

Question 91. But what are good works?

Answer: Only those which proceed from a true faith, (a) are performed according to the law of God, (b) and to his glory; (c) and not such as are founded on our imaginations, or the institutions of men. (d)

Question 92. What is the law of God?

Answer: God spake all these words, Exodus 20:1-17 and Denteronomy 5:6-21

Ursinus

All good laws, which alne deserve the name of laws, are to be traced to the moral law as their source, wyhich agrees in every respect with the Decalogue and may also, by necessary consequence, be deduced from it, so that ge who violates the one, violates the other likewise...

We must observe in passing along the difference which exists between the moral law, the natural law, and the Decalogue, The Decalogue contains the sum of the moral laws which are scattered throughout the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. The natural and moral law were the same in man before the fall when his nature was pure and holy. Since the fall however which resulted in the corrruption and depravity of our nature a considerable part of the natural law has become obscured and lost by reason of sin, so that there is only a small portion concerning the obedience which we owe to God still left in the human mind. It is for this reason that God repeated and declared to the church the entire doctrine and true sense of hgis law as contained in the Decalogue. The Decalogue is therefore the renewal and re-enforcing of the natural law which is only a part of the Decalogue...

The ordinary and correct anser to this question is that the ceremonial and judicial law, as given by Moses, has been abrogatred in as far as it relates to obedience and the moral law has also been abrogated as it respects the curse, but not as it respects obedience.
491-492 Ursinus's commentary on HC

As what happens with Kline, Vos, et al, it might be possible that Mr. Iron's writings are being misconstrued. ???

Lee Irons taught a class (after the trial) at Dr. Riddlebarger's church/ URCNA - the MP3's are free download on his website, btw. I rather doubt if Dr. Riddlebarger was either careless or in error to allow this. Having attended the class and spending more time on understanding the nuances of the "two age" model and the nature of Covenant theology (than on someone's guilt or offenses made to denominations) I think Lee Iron's work is important and helpful.

As for implications that I might be departing from the confessions I ascribe to (and hold very dear) I will remain under the authority of my Pastor and consistory. (Since I heartily agree with the aforementioned citations, I'm confused and am curious to know how my position negates them.) ?? :um:

As Reverend Riddlebarger models and teaches, it is right and good - indeed a Christian duty, to study well the opposition; fairly representing and understanding the arguments as its understood by the other side ; not judging rashly nor advertantly or inadvertantly creating a straw-man. (Besides, Lee Irons hompage is on the Christ Reformed Church links so I guess this means Kim needs to abandon the HC, too. ??) http://www.christreformed.org/textmisc/links.shtml?main

In all courtesy, I stand here. God help me.

:candle:

Robin

Originally posted by Larry Hughes
I am not promoting "mysticism", that is about as absurd a statement as I've ever heard. What you call mysticism I call the very heart of saving faith.

Samuel Rutherford shows in his Survey of the Spiritual Antichrist that Antinomianism is a direct descendant of Mysticism. Therein man rejects the Creator-creature distinction by acting as if he possessed the same spiritual freedom as God Himself. Your refusal to accept the law as "instruction" is a prime example of the mystic strain in Antinomianism.

Robin,

Since roughly a third of the HC is about the use of the law for sanctification I thought you would have a problem with that.

These statements, quoted approvingly by you, are expressly contrary to the C.

... Paul is keenly aware that his rejection of the Law with respect to justification might be interpreted as a license to sin. So he articulates the moralist´s fear by having an imaginary interlocutor raise the following objection: "œWhat then? Shall we sin because we are not under the Law but under grace?" (Rom. 6:15). This would have been the perfect opportunity for Paul to introduce the Law again in order to mollify the moralist. He could have easily said that although the Law plays no role in our justification, it is still the God-ordained means of promoting sanctification "“ the third use of the Law.

How could Paul go back to the Mosaic Law again, when he regarded it, not as a timeless code, but as a covenant of works? Since the Law is a covenant of works, when sinners place themselves under it, it is utterly useless for producing righteous behavior and obedience. All the Law can do is demand, threaten, and curse. That is what Paul argued extensively in Romans 7. To be sure, the Law itself is not to blame. The Law is holy, righteous, and good. But when God´s holy Law confronts fallen Adamic humanity, not only is it unable to restrain sin, our sinful passions are actually "œaroused by the Law" (Rom. 7:5 ESV).

In particular, it is the key to understanding Paul´s teaching that we are both justified and progressively sanctified by faith in Christ apart from the Law.

The Catechism says that the good works of thankfulness must be in accord with God's law, which is said by the C. to be the Ten Commandments.

Question 91. But what are good works?

Answer: Only those which proceed from a true faith, (a) are performed according to the law of God, (b) and to his glory; (c) and not such as are founded on our imaginations, or the institutions of men. (d)

Question 92. What is the law of God?

Answer: God spake all these words, Exodus 20:1-17 and Denteronomy 5:6-21

Irons say explicity he is at odds with the C. here.

The NT imperatives lose their lively evangelical thrust when they are subsumed under the rubric of the ten commandments. This is seen most clearly in the Reformed catechisms, which use the Decalogue as ten "œhooks" upon which to hang the various OT commands and NT imperatives.

Ursinus says The Decalogue contains the sum of the moral laws which are scattered throughout the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.

and

The ordinary and correct answer to this question is that the ceremonial and judicial law, as given by Moses, has been abrogatred in as far as it relates to obedience and the moral law has also been abrogated as it respects the curse, but not as it respects obedience.

aren't these views contrary?

Robin,

Just to clarify, I don't cast Lee Irons beyond the pale of orthodoxy. He was not de-frocked or forced to leave the OPC. He did that himself. In so doing, I believe he undermined the very nature of what it means to contend for the unity of the faith.

There are always going to be disagreements within the Church. It's why we take vows because, ocassionally, the Church may even be slightly wrong for a season and we might need to labor in love to bring it back on course. More often, however, we might be wrong and we might need to have our thoughts Reformed as we're brought under discipline. Leaving a body because things don't go your way just kicks the whole idea of vows smack dab in the teeth.

Just look at the present Federal Vision controversy. Men just go out and create their own denominations that are now sympathetic to their movement. Perhaps, instead, they should stop and listen to the counsel of their Reformed bodies and submit to the counsel of the Church as a whole. In this age, however, we seem to have this poisonous idea that if I'm well studied on something then it means that I never have to be told that I'm wrong by the Church.

I think Dr. Riddlebaurger is a man of the Word and have the highest regard for him. I also believe that Lee Irons is a man who believes and is saved by the Gospel. I think his leaving the OPC because he disagreed is poisonous. Even if he is right and the entire OPC is wrong, he has still sinned greatly. It's not always about being right when it's time to submit and the Gospel was NOT at stake when he left.

Being careful and to review for Peter's sake:

Q. 60.

How are thou righteous before God?

A.

Only by a true faith in Jesus Christ; (a)

so that, though my conscience accuse me, that I have grossly transgressed all the commandments of God, and kept none of them, (b)

and am still inclined to all evil; (c)

notwithstanding, God, without any merit of mine, (d)

but only of mere grace, (e)

grants and imputes to me, (f)

the perfect satisfaction, (g)

righteousness and holiness of Christ; (h)

even so, as if I never had had, nor committed any sin: yea, as if I had fully accomplished all that obedience which Christ has accomplished for me; (i)

inasmuch as I embrace such benefit with a believing heart. (j)

(a) Rom.3:21-25,28; Rom.5:1,2; Gal.2:16; Eph.2:8,9; Philip.3:9. (b)

Rom.3:9. (c) Rom.7:23. (d) Tit.3:5; Deut.9:6; Ezek.36:22. (e)

Rom.3:24; Eph.2:8. (f) Rom.4:4,5; 2 Cor.5:19. (g) 1 John 2:2. (h)

1 John 2:1. (i) 2 Cor.5:21. (j) Rom.3:22; John 3:18.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. 61.

Why sayest thou, that thou art righteous by faith only?

A.

Not that I am acceptable to God, on account of the worthiness of my faith; but because only the satisfaction, righteousness, and holiness of Christ, is my righteousness before God; (a)

and that I cannot receive and apply the same to myself any other way than by faith only. (b)

(a) 1 Cor.1:30; 1 Cor.2:2. (b) 1 John 5:10.

24. Lord's Day
Q. 62.

But why cannot our good works be the whole, or part of our righteousness before God?

A.

Because, that the righteousness, which can be approved of before the tribunal of God, must be absolutely perfect, (a)

and in all respects conformable to the divine law; and also, that our best works in this life are all imperfect and defiled with sin. (b)

(a) Gal.3:10; Deut.27:26. (b) Isa.64:6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. 63.

What! do not our good works merit, which yet God will reward in this and in a future life?

A.

This reward is not of merit, but of grace. (a)

(a) Luke 17:10.

Q. 64.

But does not this doctrine make men careless and profane?

A.

By no means: for it is impossible that those, who are implanted into Christ by a true faith, should not bring forth fruits of thankfulness. (a)

(a) Matt.7:18; John 15:5.

Neither I nor Larry are antinomian -- nor Lee Irons, as far as I know.... :um:

The following proposition from WCF 19:5 was designed to formulate the orthodox reformed position against Antinomianism:

The moral law doth forever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof; and that, not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it. Neither doth Christ, in the gospel, any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.

To discern whether or not you hold to Antinomianism, simply ask yourself if you can give an unqualified yes to this proposition.

Lee Irons' conclusion:

Conclusion

"Defining the Law-Gospel contrast is no easy task. It requires making important distinctions and avoiding common pitfalls. It is not a timeless contrast between God´s grace and God´s demand. Nor is it a contrast between two competing ways of salvation. The Law-Gospel contrast is a contrast between two covenants based on contrary principles (works vs. faith). When covenantally defined the Law-Gospel contrast is an extremely useful paradigm for understanding Pauline theology, and has important systematic implications. In particular, it is the key to understanding Paul´s teaching that we are both justified and progressively sanctified by faith in Christ apart from the Law."

As I mentioned before (and somewhat answered Allan's original query) going back and carefully studying Mr. Iron's essay is worthwhile and especially important if an opponent is to criticize it.

The content of the essay requires reading it in context to understand that it lines-up well with Paul's theology.

Mike Horton's book: "God of Promise" covers the same material. The upshot is: Law & Gospel language is throughout the entire Bible (not Law/OT; Gospel/NT); it is necessarily tied to the covenants; getting the covenants right is essential. Sanctification is caused by the Gospel (not the Law.):book2:

"It is no more the office of the law (even according to its third use) to empower us for holiness than to raise us from the dead and put us right before God in the first place. The only source of life and power in the Christian life is the same as it was at the very first: the good news that God has done what the law (and our obedience) could never do. Thus, we always respond to the law (in its third use) as those who have been saved and are being saved and will be saved according to God's PROMISE, within a covenant of grace. Because we are in Christ, God's law, as the expression of this righteous verdict upon our lives, concurs with the gospel in delivering the judgment "Not guilty." ..... You have not inherited forgiveness and justification by grace only to have your sanctification determined by a covenant of law. The irony is preserved: the law covenant leads to condemnation while the promise covenant leads to the very obedience that the law requires but could never elicit....Etc.

------Michael Horton, "God of Promise" page 192

:detective:

r.

[Edited on 9-26-2006 by Robin]

Originally posted by Robin
As I mentioned before (and somewhat answered Allan's original query) going back and carefully studying Mr. Iron's essay is worthwhile and especially important if an opponent is to criticize it.

I am not sure, according to Lee Irons' view, what is to stop one from not only unfairly criticising his paper, but also from misrepresenting, falsely accusing, and profanely abusing him -- seeing as believers are not under the law in any sense.

In What Does The Law Differ From The Gospel?

Z. Ursinus

The exposition of this question is necessary for a variety of considerations, and especially that we may have a proper understanding of the law and the gospel, to which a knowledge of that in which thye differ greatly contributes. According to the definition of the law, which says, that it promises rewards to those who render perfect obedience; and that it promises them freely, inasmuch as no obedience can be meritorious in the sight of God, it would seem that it does not differ from the gospel, which also promises eternal life freely. Yet notwithstanding this seeming agreement, there is a great difference between the law and the gospel. They differ,

1. As to the mode of revelation peculiar to each. The law is known naturally: the gospel was divinely revealed after the fall of man.
2. In matter or doctrine. The law declares the justice of God separately considered: the gospel declares it in connection with his mercy. The law teaches what we ought to be in order that we may be saved: the gospel teaches in addition to this, how we may become such as this law requires, viz: by faith in Christ.
3. In their conditions or promises. The law promises eternal life and all good things upon the condition of our own and perfect righteousness, and of obedience in us: the gospel promises the same blessings upon the condition that we exercise faith in Christ, by which we embrace the obedience which another, even Christ, has performed in our behalf; or the gospel teaches that we are justified freely by faith in Christ. With this faith is also connected, as by an indissoluble bond, the condition of new obedience.
4. In their effects. The law works wrath, and is the ministration of death: the gospel is the ministration of life and of the Spirit (Rom. 4:15, 2 Cor. 3:7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back