Latin: usque ad aras (all the way to the altars) and Christian Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I've started re editing George Gillespie's English Popish Ceremonies which I published back in 1993 and has been out of print a while (it will be slow work as I'm re-collating my text with Hetherington's and the first edition of 1637 to catch all the errors, of which there are some I found right off the bat). One question, not so much an error as much as getting a handle on the meaning of an obscure phrase (to me), is about a passage out of Daniel Tilnus which Gillespie cites regarding liberty of conscience and the point up to which we obey those in authority over us (magistrates and elders etc.).
Magistratui autem, says Tilen, et ecclesiae praepositis, non nisi usque ad aras obtemperandum, neque ullum certamen aut periculum pro libertatis per Christum nobis partae defensione defugiendum, siquidem mortem ipsius irritam fieri, Paulus asserit, si spiritualis servitutis jugo, nos implicari patiamur. Translation: The magistrate, moreover, says Tilen, and the overseers of the church, need not be obeyed unless “all the way to the altars,” and we must not avoid any struggle or danger in defense of the liberty gained for us through Christ, since his death becomes worthless, Paul declares, if we allow ourselves to be involved in a yoke of spiritual slavery.
My sense is this: “All the way to the altars” (usque ad aras): “in all matters but religion.” i.e. official authority to command stops at the altar.

Anyone have a better take? The only modern use I've found of this phrase is in the saying a "friend all the way to the altars" (amicus usque ad aras): a friend in all matters but religion.

My interpretation is " A friend even to the altar (of sacrifice); i.e., Even to the last extremity......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back