Language of Scottish Psalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have been learning my way through the 1650 Scottish psalter, and I could use some help with some of the wording. I have found the Trinitarian Bible Society word list very helpful: http://www.trinitarianbiblesociety.org/site/articles/bwl.pdf

I have a question about Psalm 18:26. In the psalter, it reads "Pure to the pure, froward thou kyth'st unto the froward wight." In the KJV, it reads "With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward."

Based on the TBS article, "froward" means "perverse, contrary, self-willed." But what does "wight" mean? What does "kyth'st" stand for and mean?

On a different note, what does this verse mean? How does God show Himself froward to the froward? Thanks!

Glossary of the 1650 Psalter

Amain – At full force; greatly, or exceedingly (OED).
Betimes – Used in the English sense as in ‘early.’ Not the Scottish
sense of ‘occasionally.’ (OED; Jamieson).
Conies – As used in the OT, a small pachyderm living in caves and
rock clefts in Palestine (OED).
Flout – Jeer, mock, scorn, show contempt (OED).
Froward – Evilly disposed toward (OED).
Garners – Granary or store house (OED).
Gins – Snare, net, or trap (OED).
Indite – Write or compose, ‘to put into written words’ (OED).
Kyth – show; appear or manifest (Jamieson).
Pate – Head (OED).
Prevent – As in 119:148, “To act before, in anticipation of, or in preparation
for (a future event, or a point of time, esp. the time fixed for
the act)…. As in 18:18, “To meet with welcome or succour; to meet
with hostility or opposition, to confront. (OED).
Reins – The seat of the feelings or affections (OED).
Sith – Since (OED).
Tentation – Temptation, often with meaning of ‘experimental trial.’
(OED)
Thrall – Captivity, bondage, servitude (OED).
Wight – Man.
Wonted – Customary, usual. (OED).
Wot – Know (OED).

Jamieson’s Scottish Dictionary (Jamieson).
Oxford English Dictionary (OED).

Hope this helps...

From William Plumer's Studies in the Book of Psalms...

26. With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure.

Septuagint, Ethiopic, Arabic, Syriac, Vulgate and Doway : With the elect thou wilt be elect ; Jebb : With the clean thou wilt be clean ; Fry : With the true thou showest thyself true ; Pool : " Purity is often put for sincerity." The same principle extends to the wicked.

And with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.

In 2 Sam. xxii. 27, it is, With the froward thou wilt show thyself unsavory. The word first rendered froward is always so rendered, or it is translated perverse or crooked. Most of the ancient versions, Calvin, Edwards and Hengstenberg prefer perverse ; Fry: With the politic thou showest thy policy ; or, With the crooked thou showest thyself to be tortuous ; Jebb : With the froward thou wilt wrestle ; Alexander : With the crooked thou wilt show thyself perverse, Judges i. 7. Any course of divine justice will bring certain, righteous and amazing ruin on the incorrigibly wicked. When Jehovah shall arise, they will find that he is to them a more terrible enemy than the most perverse of all their earthly foes, though he swerve not from perfect truth and rectitude. It could not be otherwise."

Thought that looked familiar. Cf. The Comprehensive Psalter (2000), Glossary, p. 385.
Put my Jamieson's set to use on some of those; of course it is abundantly available on Google now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back