Laid off and Church Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well brother, check out those OPC and RPCNA congregations near you. Perhaps they haven’t cancelled.

I had the same thought. I'm going to see if there is someway to contact the RPCNA church near me or check the website. If there isn't any notice or anything, I'll just make the trek over there I suppose.

Is this the coffee shop job or the roller coaster job you were considering taking? I guess either one would be heavily impacted by the Coronavirus.

Is this the coffee shop job or the roller coaster job you were considering taking? I guess either one would be heavily impacted by the Coronavirus.

I got the new job managing a cafe nearby. Both jobs had to get rid of people though. So i i cant even go back to that one.

I got the new job managing a cafe nearby. Both jobs had to get rid of people though. So i i cant even go back to that one.
I think you mentioned you were interested in computer science...? One thing I might suggest if you have free time before your next job or possibly attending school is https://online-learning.harvard.edu/subject/computer-science

It is a free online program offered by Harvard to provided various computer science related courses. For certificates, you need to pay, otherwise you can audit for free. I haven’t delved much into this, but have heard good things about it. It could at least provide you some good base knowledge and perhaps enough to land an entry level job in that environment.

I think you mentioned you were interested in computer science...? One thing I might suggest if you have free time before your next job or possibly attending school is https://online-learning.harvard.edu/subject/computer-science

It is a free online program offered by Harvard to provided various computer science related courses. For certificates, you need to pay, otherwise you can audit for free. I haven’t delved much into this, but have heard good things about it. It could at least provide you some good base knowledge and perhaps enough to land an entry level job in that environment.
Along these lines, MIT's whole cs curriculum (lectures, homeworks, etc) is free online on the platform MIT open courseware. One doesn't actually need cs experience to get some entry level cs jobs though. Like this one.

Brother, let me encourage you to meditate on this sweet sentence...

Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God’s wise and fatherly disposal in every condition.—Jeremiah Burroughs

This song has ministered to me in the midst of the anxious time we're living in. May Jesus sustain and uphold you.

Brother, let me encourage you to meditate on this sweet sentence...

Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God’s wise and fatherly disposal in every condition.—Jeremiah Burroughs
I would also suggest you read this book on Christian contentment by Burroughs. A Puritan classic.
A year ago I made this comment:
I thought I would give this quote from the preface of the biography as I think it wonderfully summarises why Burroughs writings have been loved and cherished through the centuries. The author of the biography writes:
".. Burroughs showed me a view of the Almighty that relieved, refreshed, and revitalised me. Burroughs showed me how Christ could satisfy my every need saying "A Christian should be satisfied with what God has made the object of his faith [ie, Christ]. The object of his faith is high enough to satisfy his soul .... since God is contented with Himself alone, if you have Him you may be contented with Him alone, and it may be, that is the reason why your natural comforts are taken away from you, that God may be all in all to you." "
Here are also some audio sermons to go with the book. One reason for recommending them is that I have needed this Christian contentment in my own life. May it be a blessing to you, Jonathan.

I would also suggest you read this book on Christian contentment by Burroughs. A Puritan classic.
A year ago I made this comment:

Here are also some audio sermons to go with the book. One reason for recommending them is that I have needed this Christian contentment in my own life. May it be a blessing to you, Jonathan.

I just finished reading through that book a few months ago!

Along these lines, MIT's whole cs curriculum (lectures, homeworks, etc) is free online on the platform MIT open courseware. One doesn't actually need cs experience to get some entry level cs jobs though. Like this one.

True, but they are looking for someone with a college degree and willing to relocate

I'm just worried about my rent. I need to pay 1850 a month, plus utilities. I need to sign up for unemployment tomorrow and it doesn't seem like anyone else is hiring, so I feel very shaken up.

Just checking in with you Jonathan! Hope you’re making good progress in the Lord.

Hello! I truly appreciate this, thank you. Things are still tough. No money coming in, isolation and temptation abound. But God is good. And I'm doing what i can to survive.

Hello! I truly appreciate this, thank you. Things are still tough. No money coming in, isolation and temptation abound. But God is good. And I'm doing what i can to survive.
It’s a rough time. Have you made any contact with either of those two other churches near you, the OPC or RP church? Any Christian fellowship during this time?

Also, have you been able to file for unemployment?

It’s a rough time. Have you made any contact with either of those two other churches near you, the OPC or RP church? Any Christian fellowship during this time?

Also, have you been able to file for unemployment?

All church services are cancelled. I was also denied unemployment.

My church has held Bible studies and services through video chat.

I was thinking of you this morning and prayed for you. I am very sorry. Your story is the story of so many.

We have five kids, three are working from home and two are laid off. One unemployment and no savings, one savings to last a couple months and no unemployment. The latter two should be able to work if/when the lockdown lifts in a couple months. We are going to give one of them some money next week and can't even think about saving more for our retirement right now. My niece, a professional cook, went in last year with two other people on a restaurant that was doing wonderfully well and now she is sitting at home as the last dwindling profits erode away. It is easier for those who can get unemployment and defer rent. I've read a few articles about the food banks being overwhelmed as bad as the 1930s.

Again, I am so sorry, and do pray for you and those like you, that you will have hope in God to give back for what "the locusts have eaten" and that even this you will see work for good. It is just horrible to watch the devastation.

I was thinking of you this morning and prayed for you. I am very sorry. Your story is the story of so many.

We have five kids, three are working from home and two are laid off. One unemployment and no savings, one savings to last a couple months and no unemployment. The latter two should be able to work if/when the lockdown lifts in a couple months. We are going to give one of them some money next week and can't even think about saving more for our retirement right now. My niece, a professional cook, went in last year with two other people on a restaurant that was doing wonderfully well and now she is sitting at home as the last dwindling profits erode away. It is easier for those who can get unemployment and defer rent. I've read a few articles about the food banks being overwhelmed as bad as the 1930s.

Again, I am so sorry, and do pray for you and those like you, that you will have hope in God to give back for what "the locusts have eaten" and that even this you will see work for good. It is just horrible to watch the devastation.
This sad too. https://www.chicagotribune.com/coro...0200413-x5n6sbmrh5an3cilo6hxozrkj4-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back