Korn

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band

Tue Feb 22, 8:31 PM ET

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch has parted ways with the hard rock act, citing a recent religious awakening.

Welch broke the news Sunday on Bakersfield, Calif., station KRAB-FM.

"I had it in my heart to come here and explain to you," Welch said. "I'm good friends with Korn. I love those guys, and they love me, and they're very happy for me."

Addressing the aggressive tone of the music he made with Korn, Welch said, "Anger is a good thing, and if kids want to listen to Korn, good, but there's happiness after the anger. I'm going to show it through my actions how much I love my fans."

Welch added that he would be appearing at a local church on Feb. 27, during which time he would "speak (about) how I got to this place in my life, and I'll answer all your questions."

On its official Web site (http://www.korn.com), Korn's remaining members said they respect Welch's wishes and hope "he finds the happiness he is searching for." The group is in the studio working on a new album, due in September, which will be its first since fulfilling its contract with Epic last year.

For now, no replacement for Welch has been named, nor has a new label home for the band.

This is good...

I pray that it is legitimate and that he can somehow avoid so much of the error that is out there.

This reminds me of the guitarist from Anthrax (Scott Spitz...??? I think?) who I saw one day a few years ago on TBN giving a similar testimony. I cringe when I recall that he said something like "I used to mock and laugh at you guys but now I see that EVERYTHING you've said is true..." I wonder where is at today(?).

Also, maybe this means that Korn and their horrible music will go away... :cool:
As a friend of mine once said ..."If you put a 'y' on the end of their name you get the real picture."

Another enlistment in the Army of Christ. Yes Drill Sargeant Yes.

Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band
By Jonathan Cohen, Reuters

Getty Images

Guitarist Brian "Head" Welch says the gritty rock played by 'Korn' is not for him anymore.

NEW YORK (Feb. 23) - Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch has parted ways with the hard rock act, citing a recent religious awakening.

Welch broke the news Sunday on Bakersfield, Calif., station KRAB-FM.

"I had it in my heart to come here and explain to you," Welch said. "I'm good friends with Korn. I love those guys, and they love me, and they're very happy for me."

Addressing the aggressive tone of the music he made with Korn, Welch said, "Anger is a good thing, and if kids want to listen to Korn, good, but there's happiness after the anger. I'm going to show it through my actions how much I love my fans."

Welch added that he would be appearing at a local church on Feb. 27, during which time he would "speak (about) how I got to this place in my life, and I'll answer all your questions."

For now, no replacement for Welch has been named, nor has a new label home for the band.

02-23-05 07:15 EST

Originally posted by joshua
And hopefully he won't have a "ministry" 6 wks after conversion under the guise of "God doesn't care about your ability, only your availability.". Excuse my pessimism.

:amen:

Former KORN guitarist Brian "Head" Welch spoke to MTV News Thursday night (Feb. 24) about his decision to leave the band to rededicate his life to Christianity.

"I love everybody in the band "” I was afraid to leave. It made me sad to think that I would be hurting the band if I left. For the last year and a half, I wanted to leave, but someone would always talk to me and convince me to stay," Welch said. "But I've had a problem with the way things were going since the second record. I mean, we would do things, and I would be like, 'Oh, this is metal! This is the rock and roll life!' But inside, I thought they took it too far. It was a little too crude for me.

"I have a 6-year-old daughter, and I want her to be able to look me in the eye. I'm a single dad, that's what it comes down to," he said. "And the guys were really accommodating when I would tell them that. They'd be like, 'Bring your daughter on tour! We'll work the tour around you.' But that's not the place for a 6-year-old. She would be sitting backstage sometimes, just counting dollars. Because Fieldy would tell her, 'Every time you hear a curse word, you'll get a dollar. It will help us stop cursing.' And at the end of the day, she'd turn to me and be like, 'Look at all my money, Daddy!' "

Regarding how his bandmates reacted to the news that he was leaving the group, Welch said, "I think it made the guys mad. It confused them. I left at the worst possible time. We got off Sony, and all the money was there, we were going to own all of our songs, but I had to prove to myself that money wasn't my God," he said. "I talked to Jonathan [Davis] and he said, 'I don't get it, man, you're all happy and we're sitting here grieving because our band is breaking up. And I wanted to tell him, 'Well, for years, you guys were out partying while I was sitting on the tour bus wanting to die.' "

Welch also said that he has been recording songs on his own, which reflected his growing spirituality. The material "” which will be released under the name "HEAD" "” will not be Christian music. Rather, he said, he wants it to be an "extension of the KORN family."

"I always loved that KORN's music helped kids let out aggression. But with my new music, I want kids to know that there's more out there," he said. "I want to show them there's a light at the end of the pain tunnel. That there's more out there than just aggression. I want to say to them, 'Hey kids, come over here. Let's bounce back and forth and have fun.' "

http://www.headtochrist.com/

Originally posted by SmokingFlax
This reminds me of the guitarist from Anthrax (Scott Spitz...??? I think?) who I saw one day a few years ago on TBN giving a similar testimony. I cringe when I recall that he said something like "I used to mock and laugh at you guys but now I see that EVERYTHING you've said is true..." I wonder where is at today(?).

His name is Dan Spitz. Although the band hasn't announced it yet, there are plans for the line up from the album "Among The Living" to reunite for the next Ozzfest. Dan Spitz will be included on the tour.

I wouldn't mind checking them out. I've been an Anthrax fan since the seventh grade. I've seen the current lineup play but not the earlier lineup with Dan Spitz. Maybe I should take some reformed material in case I get a chance to speak with him. I've met Anthrax's drummer Charlie Benante.:)

Hmmm hopefully it will work out for him allthough its not perfect its a step in Lord Willing a better direction. Seems God used his daughter to give him a better understanding of that type of envoronment.

Praying.

Blade

With regards to all previous posts about Brian Welch, I have to admit that I am cautiously optimistic. We all need to be careful not to be critical of the man (whether he is truly a brother or not), and we all need to pray for him. As far as I am concerned, we were all in the same boat with him in various circumstances before we were saved by God's grace. If he is truly saved, then that reminds me that all things are possible with God -- regardless of who that man or woman is.

Originally posted by JasonGoodwin
With regards to all previous posts about Brian Welch, I have to admit that I am cautiously optimistic. We all need to be careful not to be critical of the man (whether he is truly a brother or not), and we all need to pray for him. As far as I am concerned, we were all in the same boat with him in various circumstances before we were saved by God's grace. If he is truly saved, then that reminds me that all things are possible with God -- regardless of who that man or woman is.

Indeed - after all, who was expecting the conversion of Saul of Tarsus? :up:

Matthew

Originally posted by Matthew Glover
Originally posted by JasonGoodwin

Indeed - after all, who was expecting the conversion of Saul of Tarsus? :up:

Matthew

Amen! Did you see that tat he has on his neck? Thats cool! I will pray for him; in fact the other day I prayed that a celeb would step out in faith for Christ.

Former KORN guitarist Brian "Head" Welch spoke to MTV News about his new music, which he had previously described as "an extension of the KORN family".

"My music is going to have a Christian, spiritual edge to it, for sure. I didn't mean to be confusing earlier," he said. "I mean, I have a song called 'Kry', which I feel is like God talking to me. I mean, it's not heavy Christian music. It's just a reflection of how I feel now. It's about life experiences. It's happy, uplifting, fairy tale music.

"I want to make music that will help people. I want to use every dime of the money I make off the songs to build skate parks for kids," he said. "My life now is about helping kids."

Welch said he plans on recording a cover of U2's "With or Without You", done "very different from the original." And he's also working on a politically inspired tune tentatively titled "Bleeder". But he's not just working on new tunes "” he's also taking his mission of helping to another medium: TV.

"I want to do a reality show on my life change. I'm going to be writing checks for a quarter, a half-a-million dollars at a time on big business deals," he said. "People will tune in to see what kinds of things I'll be buying for them with our money we make from my solo career. I don't like money unless it helps people. ... We'll make TV history."

Welch wanted his fans to know that while he wishes his former bandmates all the best, there's no way he'll be returning to the KORN camp anytime soon "” if ever.

"If I went back, that would confuse my kid. I don't ever see myself going back. I'm not going to change. I finally was able to stand up for myself and quit being addicted to money," he said. "I don't want to pollute the world anymore. I want to spread a message of love and understanding, and that's what I'm going to do."

Ex-Korn Guitarist Baptized in Jordan River
By Associated Press

6 hours ago

KIBBUTZ KINNERET, Israel - Former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch was baptized Saturday in the Jordan River, just weeks after quitting his band, drug habits and rock-and-roll lifestyle for religion.

Welch, a founding member of the multi-platinum band, and about 20 other white-robed Christian pilgrims from a Bakersfield, Calif., church were immersed by their pastor, Ron Vietti.

Welch said the ritual baptism had washed away his anger. "You know when you get angry and it builds up? I felt like hurting someone before, now I feel like hugging people," he said.

Vietti said Welch - who has "Jesus" tattooed across his knuckles and "Matthew 11:28," tattooed prominently across his neck - is already attracting a new group of young people to the message of Christianity.

"In recent weeks people have committed their lives to God because they're so inspired by his story," Vietti said.

Korn announced Welch's resignation last month after 13 years with the band. Welch said he had become increasingly depressed and drug-addicted in recent years, but that religion helped him quit.

He said he plans to release more music without the band.

"My songs are God saying things to me, him talking to people. He's going to use me to heal people and people are going to be drawn to it, just watch, they will be," he said.

Thousands of pilgrims are baptized annually in the Jordan River where, according to Biblical tradition, John the Baptist baptized Jesus.

smug_b.gif

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by Augusta]

Last night, I read a statement from another member of Korn about the ex-guitarist. It wasn't fit to post here. I don't think that they're too happy about their music "polluting the world."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back