Kinism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
What has been your experience with Kinists and Kinism?

Can someone refer me to a website or book that deals with Kinism?

Ed, Thanks for your sources; I want to be boned up on their thinking as as of recently, I was told that I am misrepresenting them.

I'd be interested in hearing how/why you think such marriages require more caution and wisdom than other marriages.

There are loads of reasons that should cause some pause or caution before deciding to marry. As to how I know. The only one I can directly proof text is a difference in religion.
Here' some that come to mind:
difference in religion (I mentioned that above)
difference in age
difference in language
if your proposed partner weighed 900 pounds
if your partner is crippled, blind etc.
if either partner is unable to procreate
different stations providence has placed us in life, e.g., affluent-pauper, highly educated-ignorant, high IQ-low IQ (look it up in Christian works of an older vintage)
if your partner has hep C
big cultural differences
etc., to name a few​

I was literally one of the first people to come across kinism many, many years ago. I've seen people attack them (and sometimes lose). Here is my advice:

1. Unless the integrity of your church is at stake, ignore them. They are popular only when they have an opponent. Several kinists have told me that kinism has more or less run out of gas as a movement. Don't give it more gas.
2. Try not to frame your arguments around the pro-Hillary, borderline anti-white message that occasionally comes forth from some Gospel Coalition writers.

Ed, I'd be interested in hearing how/why you think such marriages require more caution and wisdom than other marriages.
We live in an age where marriages, even Christian marriages are continually under assault. Marriages face enough challenges without adding cross-cultural and cross-ethnic hurdles to overcome. Those cultural and ethnic hurdles can be a lot greater then you might anticipate. My wife was born a Brahman caste Nepali in Myanmar. I am a Swabian Deutscher from Michigan. So I know where of I speak.

difference in language

Not being able to clearly communicate (or communicate at all) with your inlaws can actually reduce incidences of stress. As can a several thousand mile separation. But your points, in general, are well taken.

I was literally one of the first people to come across kinism many, many years ago. I've seen people attack them (and sometimes lose). Here is my advice:

1. Unless the integrity of your church is at stake, ignore them. They are popular only when they have an opponent. Several kinists have told me that kinism has more or less run out of gas as a movement. Don't give it more gas.
2. Try not to frame your arguments around the pro-Hillary, borderline anti-white message that occasionally comes forth from some Gospel Coalition writers.

You actually go the Gospel Coalition website? The only time I do is when someone links there.

Those cultural and ethnic hurdles can be a lot greater then you might anticipate.
Look closely at my avatar and you'll see I don't need to "anticipate" cross-cultural and ethnic marriage! My wife is Tamil, born in Malaysia and I am not just an American, but a Southerner to boot! (We joke that her roots are from "South" India, so that is why we get along!)
The main point of my question to Ed was in regard to the ethnic part of his comment, which I took in the parlance of the day to mean "race." Understood that way, ethnicity alone does not necessarily bring the challenges of different religions, languages, or even traditions. The only inherent "hurdle" associated with cross-ethnic (or interracial) marriages is the potential for negative opinions from outsiders, and I don't much care whether or not outsiders "approve" of my marriage! They often don't approve of my faith, my politics, or my football team, either. I get over it pretty easily. The same is true when comments are made related to our marriage.

Regarding the OP, I had trouble taking these guys seriously 10-15 years ago. I found them ugly. Some of them claimed Rushdoony as their theologian. They flared up like hemmoroids online and made all kinds of personal attacks on people like a famous preacher for the mortal sin of adopting a child of another race. I'm glad they've gone away.

While the main criteria for marriage is that both persons are Christians, it is simply whitewashing the issue to say that the only challenge of cross-cultural marriages consists of negative comments from outsiders.

Race, economic status, cultural background, religious beliefs, language, all matter when one chooses a partner for marriage. Americans downplay these differences and act like they do not exist. A marriage can prosper despite these challenges, but a common background, common economic status, common race, and common language all aid the marital union.

A brief glimpse of secular sources confirm, for instance, that, "According to the 2010 Census in the United States, interracial divorce rates are comparatively higher than divorce rates between white couples." With black males marrying white females at a 200% increased rate of divorce in America and male Asians marrying white females having the lowest of all interracial divorce rates. Race, ethnicity, economic background, religious affiliation....all of these things matter, though having a common bond in Christ can minimize or render the other differences minimal.

Last edited:
I would follow Jacob's advice. Kinists are really not worth your time. I would not be surprised if they were planted by Cultural Marxists to discredit the Reformed Churches and conservatives in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back