Kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaBanana

Puritan Board Freshman
Long time no see, friends.

I had a moment to come on here and write.

So, there has been this thought circulating around in this brain of mine. It is one that I've pondered many times.

At one point does kindness become a doormat?

This is not in boastful or prideful way but, I tend to think that I am a genuinely kind individual. I try and help others, I am eager to listen them, meet their needs, and show them the love of Christ. Yes, there are plenty of areas where I am failing... but overall, I try my best to live a godly life that represents the Lord.

But.. sometimes, I find that kindness/friendliness/being helpful can be taken advantage of so, so quickly. Am I the only one who struggles with this? I almost find that if you are helping someone, they will become lazy and careless... and if you are in need of help/or something else , they are not always that quick to respond back to you.

I don't know, just struggling with being a servant to others and wanting to show them love, gentleness, kindness, joy and faithfulness but getting discouraged that not many have shown it back (not that I am expecting it... I guess I am just assuming).

Anna,
I don't know if this will be of help but,

Luke 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Even something as wonderful as kindness must be deployed with discernment. As you are learning, there are plenty of people out there (including Christians) who will be only too happy to take advantage of your kindness.

Hi Anna, this has been something really encouraging to me. Read this passage and then I will explain.

"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them."
Luke 6:27‭-‬31

Notice the last sentence "as you wish others would do to you, do so to them." I believe this sums up the previous verses and is the way to interpret the spirit of the lesson. For example, if you were unwilling to work and kept trying to get food from people, would you really want people to enable you and allow you to live life in such a way? The answer would be no.

If you were in their situation, how would you want to be treated, using the wisdom and knowledge you have of what is good and truthful? Sometimes this means not sharing the oil, like that of the virgins. Other times it means doing everything you can to help.

Blessings.

Christ should be our example in everything, including this:
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
(Philippians 2:5-8)

The above being said,...
A long time ago, (in a town far away) I took advantage of other people's kindness. The parking lot at church was not very well structured and after church it was a nightmare to get out, until I realised that one of the biggest problems were that the people that just came out of a service was trying to be nice to each other by yielding and giving way the whole time. I started taking advantage of this and I just drove out every time without giving way/yielding. It proved to be VERY successful.:D

The above verses are very relevant to this situation. Thank you to each who took the time to share with me.

I am a very observant person, and I tend to see the littlest things make people so angry. For example, grocery lines, cutting someone off, not getting to the parking spot first, someone taking long to pump gas... I see so many opportunities where patience and acceptance can be shown (or at least, I think I would try and use it as an opportunity) but people are allowing anger, sin, and frustration to over take them. Only thing we can do is pray, and be an example to those.

But, anyway before I keep going and going and going and going, I will stop here!

Hey Anna!

Here are my thoughts on the matter. God tells us to be gentle as doves and wise as serpents. Being kind and loving doesn't mean throwing out all judgment and discernment. Here are some things to keep in mind:

Make sure that you're not neglecting your own duties because of helping others. God expects you to have your own duties done while helping others.

Makes sure that you are not leading others into the sin of sloth. This isn't helpful or loving to them. Hold people responsible for their own work if they are capable of doing it.

If at all possible, teach a person how to do the thing you're doing for them. This gives them a skill that will last a lifetime for them.

Make sure that one person isn't taking up all your time as there might be others who have a need or greater need.

Always keep in mind that time is like money. Give what you can away freely and joyously never expecting to get it back, but always be grateful and humbled if you do.

Hey Anna!

Here are my thoughts on the matter. God tells us to be gentle as doves and wise as serpents. Being kind and loving doesn't mean throwing out all judgment and discernment. Here are some things to keep in mind:

Make sure that you're not neglecting your own duties because of helping others. God expects you to have your own duties done while helping others.

Makes sure that you are not leading others into the sin of sloth. This isn't helpful or loving to them. Hold people responsible for their own work if they are capable of doing it.

If at all possible, teach a person how to do the thing you're doing for them. This gives them a skill that will last a lifetime for them.

Make sure that one person isn't taking up all your time as there might be others who have a need or greater need.

Always keep in mind that time is like money. Give what you can away freely and joyously never expecting to get it back, but always be grateful and humbled if you do.

Thank you Sarah! These are some wise words.

Anna,

We find very few examples in Scripture wherein Our Lord was shown acts of kindness (e.g., Luke 7:38; John 12:1-9). Yet I am confident none of us would assume His demonstrations of kindness were performed with misgivings about whether they would be met in kind.

Our duty is to be kind even when in the face of rank unkindness. Unfortunately, our noetic natures often lead us down the path of hoping for some return in our investments of kindness towards others. You are wise to be mindful of these tendencies. It is a testament to your devotion to that which we hold dear.

Press onward in the performance of your duties to others. Let the matter of any recompense due or not due rest on that day we come into our glory.

You may find this collection of verses worth a review, too:
https://www.openbible.info/topics/acts_of_kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back