Kindle version, James Durham's Treatise Concerning Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I'd experiment and see how a Kindle book flies, so this will soon be available (today or next day?). I can't promise how nice it looks in a Kindle edition; I'm not generally a fan of it, but given it is hard to obtain and a useful book, thought I'd give it a whirl. If someone buys a copy let me know how it works out (I don't have a Kindle myself).

James Durham, Concerning Scandal (Naphtali Press: 1990, Kindle edition, 2008). You can read some of the reviews and back ground material at the second link to the hard copy which is sometimes available (not sure why it was recently for sale by RHB; most remaining copies still as new are in Scotland).
Kindle version:
Amazon.com: Concerning Scandal: Kindle Store: James Durham,Christopher Coldwell,David C. Lachman

1990 print edition.
Amazon.com: A Treatise Concerning Scandal: James Durham: Books
One comment:
Gordon J. Keddie, Semper Reformanda, vol. 2 No 3
This book ought to be required reading in seminaries and, indeed, for all who would serve as elders in Christ's church. It will repay careful study and breathe grace into our handling of the disciplinary problems that often confront us. Sessions will find real blessing if they study together Part Two [public scandals], especially.

NB. At times both RTS Jackson and GPTS (I think) have had courses on Durham's book.

Very cool.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Kindle. When the second generation devices come out I will probably get one but the challenge might be finding the titles I read on the device as I read theology so much.

Very cool.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Kindle. When the second generation devices come out I will probably get one but the challenge might be finding the titles I read on the device as I read theology so much.

Can they render pdf files yet? When that happens my resistance level will drop considerably.

Very cool.

Can they render pdf files yet? When that happens my resistance level will drop considerably.
Vic,
No; and that is my big complaint as well.

Probably because as soon as that happens there's going to be oodles of free content that people no longer have to purchase. ;)

I'm sure Kindle's entire system is proprietary and, yeah, eventually there's going to be an open-source standard developed to combat it. :) (Maybe there already is such a standard?)

Whatever competition does have to resolve the age old problem in all these software/devices of copy protection. If a PDF reading device can do rights management Kindle will have to add PDF capability or lose out.

I thought I'd experiment and see how a Kindle book flies, so this will soon be available (today or next day?). I can't promise how nice it looks in a Kindle edition; I'm not generally a fan of it, but given it is hard to obtain and a useful book, thought I'd give it a whirl. If someone buys a copy let me know how it works out (I don't have a Kindle myself).

I have a Kindle and I ordered the book. It came through beautifully and looks like a goldmine of writing. It down loads in a little different than other books in that the headings load in and you simply click on the essay or chapter you want to read instead of turning pages until you get to the beginning of the book. You are there when you are at the contents THEN you must choose to bring up the pages you want to read. No big deal. In fact, makes perfect sense. Thank you for making this available.

I was under the impression that amazon converted pdf's to ebook format for free-ish. Though the pdf's have to be text selectable rather than photocopies. Is this not the case? I am strongly considering buying a kindle and loading it with public domain puritan works but want to make sure this is possible before purchasing one.

I was under the impression that amazon converted pdf's to ebook format for free-ish. Though the pdf's have to be text selectable rather than photocopies. Is this not the case? I am strongly considering buying a kindle and loading it with public domain puritan works but want to make sure this is possible before purchasing one.

I just ran across this: How to view PDF files on the Kindle « Amazon Kindle Guide, Free Books & Resources

There may be a way after all. I also noticed that the Kindle also renders jpegs. Acrobat (if you have it) converts pdfs to jpegs for nothing. I don't know how much storage that would use up, but it sounds like an option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back