Kindle Users - Got 'ta Get This Freebie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
When the SBL critical Greek NT appeared last fall in multiple formats, a couple of people attempted a Kindle version of the free text. In my experience, these were limited and difficult to use because of the links to the apparatus.

Now, there is a VERY slick and FREE Kindle version of the Holmes critical text that easily jumps to the apparatus. It has been out for a few weeks, but I just noticed it.

SBL Greek New Testament | OSNOVA

It is about the best thing since two cheese enchiladas, rice, beans, corn tortillas slathered in butter, guacamole, chips and HOT salsa. Ummmmmm.

The virtue/disadvantage of the Holmes critical text is that the apparatus does not list the specific witnesses in a long and endless list. Rather, he divides the textual decisions into the WH, Tregelles, NIV (for copyright reasons this will have to do as a stand in for the UBS/Nestle edition even though it differs from the standard critical edition in 231 places), and the 2005 Robinson-Pierpont Byzantine textform.

Free is good. No, free is GREAT!!!

BTW, did I mention that it is free?

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I don't know how you run across these free Kindle books. You must have great connections, and I don't mean a USB wire.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I don't know how you run across these free Kindle books. You must have great connections, and I don't mean a USB wire.

Lawrence, this one came courtesy of "Bring the Books" blog: Bring the Books: Free Kindle Book

Sometimes he does book reviews. But, by putting in the "free Kindle book" search parameter and bookmarking it, you get the posts with the free books. Back in June he had the Kindle SBL GNT. I had orignally downloaded an apparatus free version from KataDrew (Google search back when they published the SBL GNT). Then, when someone added the apparatus, it was referenced on KataDrew. The user friendly, full-featured, Kindle version was done by another guy who also posted a reference to it on KataDrew. Having given up on finding a genuinely Kindle-ized version until Logos eventually gets around to releasing it, KataDrew was not on my radar. However, every now and then, it pays to check out "Bring On the Books."

Mystery solved. No heavy lifting. No magical old man savvy. Just an idle check of a site with lots of Puritan and Reformed books in Kindle format.

Wait a minute. Lawrence, ever since you sold me on the idea of the Longprimer and Jeanette and I started doing our morning devotions in the Atlantic Blue Calfskin R.L. Allan Longprimer, my IQ, prescience, and such have increased qualitatively. If you use a Longprimer long enough, it will probably grant you perfect recall, the ability to learn foreign languages in days, analytical excellence, remove wrinkles from your face, improve your blood work test results, ward off cancer and chronic disease, put a new bounce in your step . . .

[Or, maybe it is just the bow tie?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back