Keeping the Sabbath and Going to Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have time now, won't for at least a day (Presbytery), to address any particular questions addressed to me. I will try later.

Let me just say this: instead of wrangling over the finer points of observance, and using one's conclusions on that to decide whether one ought to consider the moral propriety of Sabbath observance, it would be better to settle the question of whether the law of Sabbath is moral in nature or not. And only afterward, decide questions of application.

Bill, that is my super-short (for reasons of time) answer to your whole post, I will get back to it. But the short point is: the day of rest is Moral in nature, not ceremonial. The manner of observance was part of the OT levitical dictation for the Israelites. Strip away that which was positive under the Old Covenant administration, add the new positive (change of day), and what is left is permanent, moral law.

Peace, brethren.

I don't have time now, won't for at least a day (Presbytery), to address any particular questions addressed to me. I will try later.

Let me just say this: instead of wrangling over the finer points of observance, and using one's conclusions on that to decide whether one ought to consider the moral propriety of Sabbath observance, it would be better to settle the question of whether the law of Sabbath is moral in nature or not. And only afterward, decide questions of application.

Bill, that is my super-short (for reasons of time) answer to your whole post, I will get back to it. But the short point is: the day of rest is Moral in nature, not ceremonial. The manner of observance was part of the OT levitical dictation for the Israelites. Strip away that which was positive under the Old Covenant administration, add the new positive (change of day), and what is left is permanent, moral law.

Peace, brethren.

Excellent post, brother. Short and sweet. May God bless your time at Presbytery.

Willful avoidance to push a theological agenda perhaps? The idea that Muslims should keep the Lord's Day as Muslims brings up all sorts of issues. I do not want to prevent a man from worshipping God. I do not want to tempt anyone to sin. But if I take this desire all the way to where it goes in this fallen world I would be paralyzed in a constant state of ethical inquiry. We've all got to decide where we will draw the line because scripture does not explicitly draw that line.

This is a very interesting question and I'm still ready to be convinced.

David,

In reading your posts on this thread, I am not able to come to a firm conclusion of what you wish to be convinced of.

You may have stated it earlier, but, could you please make a statement of your position on the Sabbath, addressing the following questions:

1. Is it your position that the Sabbath has been done away with completely? If not, to what extent does it still have application?

2. To whom was/is the Sabbath applicable?

I think having a definitive idea of where you stand on the topic would be helpful.

Putting it another way: "What is it that you need to be convinced of"?

Willful avoidance to push a theological agenda perhaps?

The agenda is to fear God and obey His commandments. That is the sum of the matter. I have no problem "pushing" this agenda.

The idea that Muslims should keep the Lord's Day as Muslims brings up all sorts of issues.

The idea that Muslims should not kill or not commit adultery or should worship the one true God is a must and the beginning of the Gospel. Shall we allow exceptions for the other 9 commandments simply because they are Muslims? I pray they, like all true repentant sinners, beat their chests and cry out God have mercy on me the sinner!

I do not want to prevent a man from worshipping God. I do not want to tempt anyone to sin. But if I take this desire all the way to where it goes in this fallen world I would be paralyzed in a constant state of ethical inquiry. We've all got to decide where we will draw the line because scripture does not explicitly draw that line.

What needs to be more explicit than the Decalogue?

Brother, as Pastor Buchanan has been so kind to show us - this is an issue of moral verses ceremonial. If you go into this with the presupposition that the Sabbath observance is not a moral issue whereas the other nine commandments are, then you will not see the explicit line that scripture does draw. Another presupposition that I find my friends have with this issue is that making the Sabbath observance a moral issue takes all the fun out of their weekend. They associate right observance with how the Pharisee’s observed the command and that is the complete inverse of the truth. BECAUSE we do not have to be distracted with everyday affairs, we can do so much more on this one day – more of the things we would like to do the other six, but can’t. The day was made for us; it is a day we thank God for giving us. A day we can do so much more than we could the other six days.

Show me in the scripture where God's law is divided up into three parts.
Not trying to be mean brother just want to know.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Let's all be honest here. Do you keep the ten commandments? Do you even keep the first? Are you sure you're keeping the fourth? You take a poor helpless sinner and you convict and show him his sin by the law and then you take him to Christ for salvation from the curse of the law and then you take him back to the law and tell him it's his perfect rule of life. How about living by the law of Christ?

Show me in the scripture where God's law is divided up into three parts.
Not trying to be mean brother just want to know.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Let's all be honest here. Do you keep the ten commandments? Do you even keep the first? Are you sure you're keeping the fourth? You take a poor helpless sinner and you convict and show him his sin by the law and then you take him to Christ for salvation from the curse of the law and then you take him back to the law and tell him it's his perfect rule of life. How about living by the law of Christ?

Yes, let's be honest. No, I don't perfectly keep the ten commandments. But the difference, it seems to me, is that I TRY to whereas you do not (at least 1 of them). Right?

And can you tell me what is the Law of Christ? Can it be summed up? Can we point to 1 verse? Or can it be ALL the commandments throughout both testaments?

Is it not significant, as well, that the Sabbath command is a creation ordinance, and thus not part of the ceremonial law?

Yes, it is enshrined in the moral law. But, even if one has doubts about the binding nature of the law, it seems to me the rhythm of one in seven is built into creation itself.

Let's start out with the following:

Acts 11:5-10 "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, something like a great sheet descending, being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to me. Looking at it closely, I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.' But I said, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' But the voice answered a second time from heaven, 'What God has made clean, do not call common.' This happened three times, and all was drawn up again into heaven.

James,

In light of this passage, I would ask you what is it that was made clean here? The requirements of all of the law?

Let's start out with the following:

Acts 11:5-10 "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, something like a great sheet descending, being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to me. Looking at it closely, I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.' But I said, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' But the voice answered a second time from heaven, 'What God has made clean, do not call common.' This happened three times, and all was drawn up again into heaven.

James,

In light of this passage, I would ask you what is it that was made clean here? The requirements of all of the law?

meats and gentiles brother. Still doesn't change anything. My rule of life is the gospel and not the law. Bear ye one anothers burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ.. Gal. 6:2

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, [even] to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Rom 10:4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:

Gal 3:17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Phl 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Love all you brethren in the Lord. Don't mean to offend any of you, I really don't. But some of you seem to get more carried away with the law than you do the gospel. I'm not accusing you of being Judaizers but sometimes you scare me a little.

Peace, brethren.

:amen:

I think Bruce is right. Yet I still see that eating in a resturant on the Lords day could be consistent.

Joey's book was helpful for me but I have a hard time seeing an exigetical case for the specifics as he outlines them. More or less he says that the Sabbath should be "different".

Perhaps it all comes down to this "are you a Celt or an east Anglian?" In other words a Presbyterian or a Puritain. We celts seem to see the sabbath as more of a celebration while the anglians being a more dour lot seem to see it as an excuse to make every one as uncomfortable as they are.:pilgrim:

Yes, let's be honest. No, I don't perfectly keep the ten commandments. But the difference, it seems to me, is that I TRY to whereas you do not (at least 1 of them). Right?

And can you tell me what is the Law of Christ? Can it be summed up? Can we point to 1 verse? Or can it be ALL the commandments throughout both testaments?

Then since you nor I keep all the commandments or any of them perfectly then we are guilty of breaking them all. That's the long and short of it brother. I'm sure you love our Lord and wish to please him but your flesh is corrupt and it is impossible for you in your flesh to keep the Law of God.
If you or I could, then atonement would not have been needed. We'd be working our way right now like all the other hell bound sinners. I did not mean to upset you or demean you in any manner. We just have a genuine disagreement with the sabbath issue.
God bless and keep you dear brother.

BTW brother. Here is my statement about the Lord's day from earlier in this thread so that you'll know what I believe:

let me assure you that I feel the same way about the Lord's day that you do. It is the highlight of my week. Can't wait for it. Really. However, I do not believe it is the sabbath. If I believed in keeping the sabbath I'd keep saturday. You regard it that way and I respect you for it for you do it as unto the Lord. I do not see it as the sabbath but I regard it unto the Lord as well. I do not try to bind anyone's concience to observe the day the way I do but encourage every christian to worship the Lord and set the day aside as much as possible for that alone. I refuse though to try and make up a bunch of regulations that people have to follow to be regarded as spiritual. BTW, I enjoy the fellowship of my Presbyterian friends and worship with them. I even for awhile attended an ARP church. The pastor and I had many discussions about the issue and agreed to disagree. As I said in a previous statement in this thread I wish we could go back to the old blue laws. It would make things a lot easier for everyone!
God bless and keep you my dear brother!

meats and gentiles brother.

I would argue that what was made clean here is the meats. Peter had just refused to eat.

Acts 11:8 But I said, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.'

The Apostle Paul, in Romans affirms that everything is indeed clean, in reference to food.

Romans 14:20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.

I think this does imply that there has been a change.

I certainly don't want anyone to get scared here, but you did ask to be shown.

"Show me in the scripture where God's law is divided up into three parts."

In order to show you, the point needs to be fleshed out that there is a difference in the laws.

I would argue that what was made clean here is the meats. Peter had just refused to eat.

Acts 11:8 But I said, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.'

The Apostle Paul, in Romans affirms that everything is indeed clean, in reference to food.

Romans 14:20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.

I think this does imply that there has been a change.

I certainly don't want anyone to get scared here, but you did ask to be shown.

"Show me in the scripture where God's law is divided up into three parts."

In order to show you, the point needs to be fleshed out that there is a difference in the laws.

I appreciate you brother Bob and believe me I am quite familiar with your position. There's got to be one oddball around here and I quess I'll be the one:lol: I still believe there is one law and any transgression against it is sin. I rest in Christ, as you do, for salvation from it's curse but my rule of life is not the law but the Gospel which is the Law of Christ. That does not mean that the gospel is contrary to the law. So please, bear with me. No charges of antinomianism. I believe in trying by the grace of God to live a holy, seperated unto the gospel life and trying to keep in mind the sacrifice of my Saviour and to keep my heart tender to his leading and keeping my mind full of His precious Word. BTW, I'm sure you feel the same way about that last statment at least.
God bless you my dear brother in Christ

You've been a model of gentle speech in this whole thread, James.

This is really a "hot button" issue with many though, so you have to understand the passion that sometimes get thrown in.

Maybe we should just wait to see if Bruce addresses the issue of God's Law and it's divisions.

:handshake:

You've been a model of gentle speech in this whole thread, James.

This is really a "hot button" issue with many though, so you have to understand the passion that sometimes get thrown in.

Maybe we should just wait to see if Bruce addresses the issue of God's Law and it's divisions.

:handshake:

I Love you man!:handshake: :cheers:

I want to thank all of my brethren of the Presbyterian train of thought for your patience with your brother in this debate. Let me assure you that I have the highest regard for you and your opinion in these matters. Let us in love remember, that our agreement on doctrinal matters far exceed our disagreements. I confess that I am not a scholar but a simple student of the Bible for the last 23 years.
I would like to leave you with a link that is in basic agreement with what I believe about this matter. Some of you may know this man. Brother Bob Vincent is pastor of the Grace Presbyterian Church EPC in Alexandria LA. He has a series of messages on the law of God of which this is message number 4. I will also give you the link to number 5 which also deals with the sabbath.
I think you will find that it supports both our positions if that is possible.
Your servant in Christ
James Farley
law of God 4

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?currSection=sermonsspeaker&sermonID=21506221633
Law of God 5
http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?currSection=sermonsspeaker&sermonID=22506153325

Peace, brethren.

Bruce, take your time. I look forward to your more detailed response.

Blessings.

Bill

David,

In reading your posts on this thread, I am not able to come to a firm conclusion of what you wish to be convinced of.

You may have stated it earlier, but, could you please make a statement of your position on the Sabbath, addressing the following questions:

1. Is it your position that the Sabbath has been done away with completely? If not, to what extent does it still have application?
Thanks RJ,
For helping me through this. I feel like I'm digging myself into a hole but here goes:

1. The Sabbath hasn't been abolished. It still has application for the Church as a sign of heavenly rest in Christ. It is the time God has set aside for us to worship Him.

2. To whom was/is the Sabbath applicable?
The Church.
I think having a definitive idea of where you stand on the topic would be helpful.

Putting it another way: "What is it that you need to be convinced of"?
I need to be convinced that eating at a restaurant on Sunday is a sin. Christians have a choice whether or not to work on Sunday. (I am speaking of believers who work in law enforcement, emergency services, Hotel, RESTAURANTS, municipal service etc.) If their restaurant is open for business on Sunday why can't I assume the best and believe they are fine with that? Should I assume the worst? Should I show them the more excellent way? No.

Rm 14:4ff "Who art thou that judgest the servant of another? to his own lord he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be made to stand; for the Lord hath power to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord...."

If they are not Christian, pushing a theocratic agenda in view of their faithlessness would not be helpful.

Last edited:
The agenda is to fear God and obey His commandments. That is the sum of the matter. I have no problem "pushing" this agenda.

The idea that Muslims should not kill or not commit adultery or should worship the one true God is a must and the beginning of the Gospel. Shall we allow exceptions for the other 9 commandments simply because they are Muslims? I pray they, like all true repentant sinners, beat their chests and cry out God have mercy on me the sinner!

What needs to be more explicit than the Decalogue?

Brother, as Pastor Buchanan has been so kind to show us - this is an issue of moral verses ceremonial. If you go into this with the presupposition that the Sabbath observance is not a moral issue whereas the other nine commandments are, then you will not see the explicit line that scripture does draw. Another presupposition that I find my friends have with this issue is that making the Sabbath observance a moral issue takes all the fun out of their weekend. They associate right observance with how the Pharisee’s observed the command and that is the complete inverse of the truth. BECAUSE we do not have to be distracted with everyday affairs, we can do so much more on this one day – more of the things we would like to do the other six, but can’t. The day was made for us; it is a day we thank God for giving us. A day we can do so much more than we could the other six days.

Thanks Chris,
for responding to my thoughts on this. Yes, we should push a theological agenda on Muslims and atheists but not in this way. We should offer the gospel as remedy for law breaking, not sabbath keeping as a remedy for law breaking. Caesar has plenty of incentive for enforcing the second table. The first table ought to be enforced by officers in the church only.

Compelling Muslims to rest on Sunday in their religion because of the universality of the decalogue puts the cart before the horse. What good is that?

The argument against going to restaurants on Sunday seems to be that we are preventing people from going to church, or giving glory to God by resting; is that correct? Forgive me if I'm not making sense.

Intriguing analysis, Rev. Winzer :detective:

I can definitely say that my views on the Civil Magistrate are in flux now, from where they were previously as a pretty standard 1789 WCFer. While I'm still quite unsure of how a Christian-influenced government would act towards non-believers; nonetheless, I do find the ideas compelling. Plus the other thing that's long nagged in my mind countering my objection to a theocratic/theodidactic (as I believe you called it, Rev. Winzer) society was the fact that OT Israel was required to treat the foreigners and aliens in their society with high respect and fairness. Essentially, they may not have political rights, but the higher command of God guaranteed their individual freedom (obviously somewhat constrained), if that makes sense.

"Compelling Muslims to rest on Sunday in their religion because of the universality of the decalogue puts the cart before the horse. What good is that?"

Three benefits, and they can be seen by paralleling the restraint civil society should make on Muslims engaging in suicide bombing. The first is, it is in the interests of civil order. The second is, it shows them quite practically that they are law-breakers and in need of salvation. The third is, it teaches a consistent pattern of righteousness, so that men are not in any doubt as to what is required of them in the way of obedience should God be pleased to call them by His grace to be His children.

Remember, our Lord once said to a person that he was not far from the kingdom of God because of his true understanding of the law.

This sounds like theonomy. But then again, that is just me.

When one considers that all of law is the outcome of moral decisionmaking, is there a better model for law than God's law?

Not advocating theonomy, per se, just don't like labels that may put a bad taste in ones' mouth.

If we all have to live together, we need the rule of law, for, in the absense of law, we have anarchy.

This sounds like theonomy. But then again, that is just me.

Though I would say I'm even somewhat of a theonomist myself (even though the word's use is quite ambiguous, and I'm honestly convinced that the bulk of the disagreement over it is due to equal misunderstanding on all sides), and thus that it would not be a bad thing in my view if Matthew were advocating theonomic principles, I still feel the need to clarify that what he was presenting was certainly not theonomic in nature. All theonomists would agree with it, but so would scores of non-theonomists.

In describing the benefits of compelling unbelievers to observe the fourth commandment, Matthew was simply expounding the traditional Reformed view of the three uses of the Law (common civil restraint, condemnation and conviction of sin for all, and a guide for believers in holy living). The benefits of the Sabbath as he was describing it were simply applying those three uses to this issue, which is certainly not theonomic, since the Sabbath is a moral law, rather than a judicial or case law. Now, since the fourth commandment is part of the first table of the Law rather than the second, one might be able to say that such a view is theocratic is some respects, depending on what is meant by compelling (i.e. if it means coercing). But I did not even see that in Matthew's post, but only a belief that we should ultimately encourage the keeping of the fourth commandment in our dealings with unbelievers as much as we should encourage them to keep any part of the moral law (again, with the three uses always in mind).

Westminster Directory of Public Worship:

Of the Sanctification of the Lord's Day

THE Lord's day ought to be so remembered before-hand, as that all worldly business of our ordinary callings may be so ordered, and so timely and seasonably laid aside, as they may not be impediments to the due sanctifying of the day when it comes.

The whole day is to be celebrated as holy to the Lord, both in publick and private, as being the Christian sabbath. To which end, it is requisite, that there be a holy cessation or resting all that day from all unnecessary labours; and an abstaining, not only from all sports and pastimes, but also from all worldly words and thoughts.

That the diet on that day be so ordered, as that neither servants be unnecessarily detained from the publick worship of God, nor any other person hindered from the sanctifying that day. That there be private preparations of every person and family, by prayer for themselves, and for God's assistance of the minister, and for a blessing upon his ministry; and by such other holy exercises, as may further dispose them to a more comfortable communion with God in his public ordinances.

That all the people meet so timely for publick worship, that the whole congregation may be present at the beginning, and with one heart solemnly join together in all parts of the publick worship, and not depart till after the blessing.

That what time is vacant, between or after the solemn meetings of the congregation in publick, be spent in reading, meditation, repetition of sermons; especially by calling their families to an account of what they have heard, and catechising of them, holy conferences, prayer for a blessing upon the publick ordinances, singing of psalms, visiting the sick, relieving the poor, and such like duties of piety, charity, and mercy, accounting the sabbath a delight.

Archbishop James Ussher, A Body of Divinitie, p. 247:

Is it then lawful for us to make a fire and dress meat upon the Lord's day?

Yea certainly. Because these were proper unto the Pedagogy or manner of government of the children of Israel under the Law: as may appeare by this, that there was no such thing commanded before the Law was given by Moses; and consequently, being not perpetuall, must necessarily follow to be Ceremoniall. Now after the Sabbath that Christ our Lord rested in the grave, this Ceremoniall Sabbath lyeth buried in that grave, together with those other rites which were shadowes of things to come, the body being in Christ. (Col. 2.16, 17.) Therefore we being dead with Christ from these Ceremonies, are no more to be burthened with such Traditions, (ibid. ver. 20.) nor to be brought under the bondage of any outward thing. It is a liberty purchased unto us by Christ, and we must stand fast unto it: that blessed houre being come, wherein the true Worshippers are to Worship the Father in Spirit and Truth. John 4.23.

William Gouge, The Sabbath's Sanctification, pp. 11-12:

Question 25. What other servile things may further the proper works of the Sabbath?

Ans. Such as our weak bodies do stand in need of, Exod. 12:16; Matt. 12:1.

Man by sin hath brought many infirmities upon his body. By them he is much disabled and hindered from performing good duties. The Lord, therefore, every way endeavouring with his goodness to overcome man's wretchedness, hath by his providence afforded him sufficient means to support and redress his infirmities. These means God is willing that man should use at all times, on all occasions, so far forth as may be needful and useful for him. The Lord is not like that cruel tyrant who laid upon the Israelites, whom he held in hard bondage, as much as they could do, if not more, and yet would not afford them ordinary means to do it. He rather will have his work intermitted than man oppressed thereby.

Question 26. What are those particulars which our weak bodies do most need?

Ans. (1.) Sleep, Eccl. 5:12. (2.) Food, Luke 14:1. (3.) Apparel, 2 Sam. 12:20. (4.) All other occasional helps, Mark 2:3, 4.

Question 28. Why is food needful?

Ans. Food is of special use to refresh the body and quicken the spirit, if it be seasonably and modestly taken. Many men's spirits will be ready to faint if they be not in due season refreshed with convenient food. Christ, therefore, on the Sabbath, took his ordinary repast, Luke 14:1, and made an apology for his disciples refreshing themselves on that day, Luke 6:1, &c. Yea, he showeth that such mercy ought to be afforded to beasts, Luke 13:15.

Wesminster Confession of Faith, Chap. 21:

7. As it is of the law of nature that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in his Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment, binding all men in all ages, he hath particularly appointed one day in seven for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:a which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week; and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,b which in Scripture is called the Lord's day,c and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.d

a. Exod 20:8, 10-11; Isa 56:2, 4, 6-7. • b. Gen 2:2-3; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor 16:1-2. • c. Rev 1:10. • d. Exod 20:8, 10 with Mat 5:17-18.

8. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts, about their worldly employments and recreations;a but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.b

a. Exod 20:8; 16:23, 25-26, 29-30; 31:15-17; Isa 58:13; Neh 13:15-22. • b. Isa 58:13; Mat 12:1-13.

Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q115: Which is the fourth commandment?
A115: The fourth commandment is, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
[1]

1. Exod. 20:8-11

Q116: What is required in the fourth commandment?
A116: The fourth commandment requires of all men the sanctifying or keeping holy to God such set times as he hath appointed in his word, expressly one whole day in seven; which was the seventh from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, and the first day of the week ever since, and so to continue to the end of the world; which is the Christian sabbath,[1] and in the New Testament called The Lord's day.[2]

1. Deut. 5:12, 14, 18; Gen. 2:2-3; I Cor. 16:1-2; Acts 20:7; Matt. 5:17-18; Isa. 56:2, 4, 6-7
2. Rev. 1:10

Q117: How is the sabbath or the Lord's day to be sanctified?
A117: The sabbath or Lord's day is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day,[1] not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful;[2] and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to betaken up in works of necessity and mercy)[3] in the public and private exercises of God's worship:[4] and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.[5]

1. Exod. 20:8, 10
2. Exod. 16:25-28; Neh. 13:15-22; Jer. 17:21-22

3. Matt. 12:1-13
4. Isa. 58:18; 66:23; Luke 4:16; Acts 20:7; I Cor. 16:1-2; Psa. ch. 92; Lev. 23:3
5. Exod. 16:22, 25-26, 29; 20:8; Luke 23:54, 56; Neh. 13:19

Q118: Why is the charge of keeping the sabbath more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors?
A118: The charge of keeping the sabbath is more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors, because they are bound not only to keep it themselves, but to see that it be observed by all those that are under their charge; and because they are prone ofttimes to hinder them by employments of their own.[1]

1. Exod. 20:10; 23:12; Josh. 24:15; Neh. 13:15, 17; Jer. 17:20-22

Q119: What are the sins forbidden in the fourth commandment?
A119: The sins forbidden in the fourth commandment are, all omissions of the duties required,[1] all careless, negligent, and unprofitable performing of them, and being weary of them;[2] all profaning the day by idleness, and doing that which is in itself sinful;[3] and by all needless works, words, and thoughts, about our worldly employments and recreations.[4]

1. Ezek. 22:26
2. Acts 15:7, 9; Ezek. 33:30-32; Amos 8:5; Mal. 1:13
3. Ezek. 23:38
4. Jer. 17:24, 27; Isa. 58:13

Q120: What are the reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it?
A120: The reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it, are taken from the equity of it, God allowing us six days of seven for our own affairs, and reserving but one for himself, in these words, Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:[1] from God's challenging a special propriety in that day, The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:[2] from the example of God, who in six days made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: and from that blessing which God put upon that day, not only in sanctifying it to be a day for his service, but in ordaining it to be a means of blessing to us in our sanctifying it; Wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.[3]

1. Exod. 20:9
2. Exod. 20:10
3. Exod. 20:11

Q121: Why is the word Remember set in the beginning of the fourth commandment?
A121: The word Remember is set in the beginning of the fourth commandment,[1] partly, because of the great benefit of remembering it, we being thereby helped in our preparation to keep it,[2] and, in keeping it, better to keep all the rest of the commandments,[3] and to continue a thankful remembrance of the two great benefits of creation and redemption, which contain a short abridgment of religion;[4] and partly, because we are very ready to forget it,[5] for that there is less light of nature for it,[6] and yet it restraineth our natural liberty in things at other times lawful;[7] that it comesthbut once in seven days, and many worldly businesses come between, and too often take off our minds from thinking of it, either to prepare for it, or to sanctify it;[8] and that Satan with his instruments much labor to blot out the glory, and even the memory of it, to bring in all irreligion and impiety.[9]

1. Exod. 20:8
2. Exod. 16:23; Luke 23:54, 56; Mark 15:42; Neh. 13:19
3. Psa. 92:13-14; Ezek. 20:12, 19-20
4. Gen. 2:2-3; Psa. 118:22, 24; Acts 4:10, 11; Rev. 1:10
5. Ezek. 22:26
6. Neh. 9:14
7. Exod. 34:21
8. Deut. 5:14-15; Amos 8:5
9. Lam. 1:7; Jer. 17:21-23; Neh. 13:15-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back