Just Thought I'd Provide An Update During a Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoretical

Puritan Board Professor
Well, my thesis work has been going alright - it's as much a learning process about yourself as it is about your subject matter! I really see this opportunity as being very helpful in kicking some more maturity and dilligence in this stubborn soul. Please keep praying for my diligence in this arduous endeavor, that I would press on and complete a really strong work. I seriously need all the prayer I can get to sustain myself until this is completed.

Anyway, since several PBers, especially those of strong political persuasions, have expressed interest in this topic, I thought I'd post what my preliminary table of contents is. The manuscript *probably* won't be book-length, but it will be organized into Parts and Chapters, for clarity's sake.

Without further adieu, here is the table of contents for my thesis, preliminarily entitled The Lawyer's Revolution. My goal is for it to be publishable either when it is turned in, or with several months of additional work afterwards. For reference, after today, I will be turning in the Introduction and Chapters 1-2. Tuesday or possibly Wednesday Chapter 3 will be in, and then I'll be taking 5-6 days each on Adams, Jefferson, Burke, and Price. Part III will be roughly completed by the middle of July. Yes, this is a fast-paced set of deadines.

INTRODUCTION
PART I: DISCOURSES OF LIBERTY
CHAPTER 1. THE ANCIENT CONSTITUION: FORENSIC HISTORY
CHAPTER 2. THE ANCIENT CONSTITUION: JURISPRUDENCE OF LIBERTY
CHAPTER 3. THE COMMONWEALTHMEN AND THEIR HEIRS

PART II: FOUR THINKERS

CHAPTER 4: EDMUND BURKE
CHAPTER 5: RICHARD PRICE
CHAPTER 6: JOHN ADAMS
CHAPTER 7: THOMAS JEFFERSON

PART III: ANALYSIS AND FINDINGS
CHAPTER 8: BURKE AND PRICE VERSUS ADAMS AND JEFFERSON
CHAPTER 9: BURKE AND ADAMS VERSUS PRICE AND JEFFERSON
CHAPTER 10: THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE AND THE FOUR THINKERS
CHAPTER 11: CONCLUDING FINDINGS

Here's my bibliography for now.

Bibliography

Adams, John (2)

_Adams, John, and John P. Diggins. The Portable John Adams, Penguin Classics. New York: Penguin
Books, 2004.
_Adams, John, and C. Bradley Thompson. The Revolutionary Writings of John Adams. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2000.

Bailyn, Bernard (1)

_Bailyn, Bernard. The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution. Enl. ed. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1992.

Becker, Carl Lotus (1)

_Becker, Carl Lotus. The Declaration of Independence, The Library of American Freedoms. Birmingham, Ala.: Palladium Press, 2002.

Boyer, Allen D. (1)

_Boyer, Allen D. Law, Liberty, and Parliament : Selected Essays on the Writings of Sir Edward Coke. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2004.

Burke, Edmund (1)

_Burke, Edmund, Francis Canavan, and Edward John Payne. Select Works of Edmund Burke : A New Imprint of the Payne Edition. 4 vols. Vol. 1. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 1999.

Canavan, Francis (1)

_Burke, Edmund, Francis Canavan, and Edward John Payne. Select Works of Edmund Burke : A New Imprint of the Payne Edition. 4 vols. Vol. 1. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 1999.

Diggins, John P. (1)

_Adams, John, and John P. Diggins. The Portable John Adams, Penguin Classics. New York: Penguin Books, 2004.

Fliegelman, Jay (1)

_Fliegelman, Jay. Declaring Independence : Jefferson, Natural Language & the Culture of Performance. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, 1993.

Folger Institute. (1)

_Pocock, J. G. A., Gordon J. Schochet, Lois G. Schwoerer, and Folger Institute. The Varieties of British Political Thought, 1500-1800. Cambridge [England] ; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1993.

Hyneman, Charles S. (1)

_Hyneman, Charles S., and Donald S. Lutz. American Political Writing During the Founding Era, 1760-1805. Indianapolis: Liberty Press, 1983.

Jefferson, Thomas (1)

_Jefferson, Thomas, and Jean M. Yarbrough. The Essential Jefferson. Indianapolis: Hackett Pub., 2006.

Knollenberg, Bernhard (2)

_Knollenberg, Bernhard. Growth of the American Revolution, 1766-1775. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2003.
_Knollenberg, Bernhard, and Bernard W. Sheehan. Origin of the American Revolution, 1759-1766. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2002.

Liberty Fund. (1)

_Womersley, David, and Liberty Fund. Liberty and American Experience in the Eighteenth Century. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2006.

Lutz, Donald S. (1)

_Hyneman, Charles S., and Donald S. Lutz. American Political Writing During the Founding Era, 1760-1805. Indianapolis: Liberty Press, 1983.

Maier, Pauline (1)

_Maier, Pauline. American Scripture : Making the Declaration of Independence. 1st ed. New York: Knopf : Distributed by Random House, Inc., 1997.

Payne, Edward John (1)

Peach, Bernard (1)

_Price, Richard, and Bernard Peach. Richard Price and the Ethical Foundations of the American Revolution : Selections from His Pamphlets, with Appendices. Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 1979.

Pocock, J. G. A. (3)

_Pocock, J. G. A. Politics, Language, and Time : Essays on Political Thought and History. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1989.
_———. Three British Revolutions, 1641, 1688, 1776. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1980.
_Pocock, J. G. A., Gordon J. Schochet, Lois G. Schwoerer, and Folger Institute. The Varieties of British Political Thought, 1500-1800. Cambridge [England] ; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1993.

Price, Richard (1)

_Price, Richard, and Bernard Peach. Richard Price and the Ethical Foundations of the American Revolution : Selections from His Pamphlets, with Appendices. Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 1979.

Reid, John Phillip (2)

_Reid, John Phillip. The Ancient Constitution and the Origins of Anglo-American Liberty. DeKalb: Northern Illinois University Press, 2005.
_———. Rule of Law : The Jurisprudence of Liberty in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. 1st ed. DeKalb [Ill.]: Northern Illinois University Press, 2004.

Robbins, Caroline (1)

_Robbins, Caroline. The Eighteenth-Century Commonwealthman : Studies in the Transmission, Development, and Circumstance of English Liberal Thought from the Restoration of Charles Ii until the War with the Thirteen Colonies. Indianapolis, Ind.: Liberty Fund, 2004.

Schochet, Gordon J. (1)

Schwoerer, Lois G. (1)

Sheehan, Bernard W. (1)

_Knollenberg, Bernhard, and Bernard W. Sheehan. Origin of the American Revolution, 1759-1766. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2002.

Stoner, James Reist (1)

_Stoner, James Reist. Common Law and Liberal Theory : Coke, Hobbes, and the Origins of American Constitutionalism. Lawrence, Kan.: University Press of Kansas, 1992.

Thompson, C. Bradley (1)

_Adams, John, and C. Bradley Thompson. The Revolutionary Writings of John Adams. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2000.

Womersley, David (1)

_Womersley, David, and Liberty Fund. Liberty and American Experience in the Eighteenth Century. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, 2006.

Yarbrough, Jean M. (1)

_Jefferson, Thomas, and Jean M. Yarbrough. The Essential Jefferson. Indianapolis: Hackett Pub., 2006.

Just a question:

PART II: FOUR THINKERS

Is your selection of these 4 because they were highly influential on this corpus of thought?

If so - you might have titled it:

PART II: FOUR THOUGHT LEADERS

Just my :2cents:

and Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back